LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Cost to replace ls430 pan gasket/dip stick o ring?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-16, 03:10 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Cost to replace ls430 pan gasket/dip stick o ring?

I went in today for an oil change (replacing my Mobile 1 standard Synthetic to Mobile 1 High Mileage synthetic). Last weak after replacing plugs and a valve cover gasket the tech told me there were signs of oil below my engine on the oil pan and and also possibly the rear main seal. At the time of the spark plug and valve cover replacement, all residue was thoroughly cleaned. I drove 125 miles and today I noticed looking under my car on the lift there was oil coming down one side of the oil pan (opposite side of the drain plug) and some drips at the rear main. We proceeded to replace the oil with High Mileage Mobile 1 synthetic. My mechanic told me the oil leak from the oil pan could be coming from the pan gasket or more likely the O ring from the dip stick and the engine would need to be lifted to repair it. I assume the pan gasket would be replaced at the same time. I was told the O ring would require 3-4 hours of labor. Anyone familiar with the cost to replace the oil pan gasket for the LS430 including the O ring for the dip stick ? I'll be waiting to see how severe the leak is before proceeding.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 12-12-16 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-12-16, 04:12 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
My mechanic told me the oil leak from the oil pan could be coming from the pan gasket or more likely the O ring from the dip stick and the engine would need to be lifted to repair it. I assume the pan gasket would be replaced at the same time. I was told the O ring would require 3-4 hours of labor. Anyone familiar with the cost to replace the oil pan gasket for the LS430 including the O ring for the dip stick ? I'll be waiting to see how severe the leak is before proceeding.
Be very careful before paying to replace gaskets that may not be the cause of your oil leak. The source of an oil leak is often difficult to pinpoint. O-ring for the dipstick is not one I have ever read about here. Valve cover gaskets OK? Rear main seal? Camshaft seals? (at front of engine) Miles on the clock?

Last edited by Tom57; 12-12-16 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-12-16, 08:29 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 157 Posts

Which pan gasket? There is an upper aluminum piece that can leak where it meets the engine block or the lower steel pan which bolts to the aluminum upper. The service manual says to remove the engine/transmission assembly from the car to redo the silicone (fipg in Toyota speak) as there are no physical gaskets. Others have posted that its possible to redo the lower pan by unbolting the engine mounts and lifting it from the top so the pan will clear the crossmember.

3+ hours labor to replace the dipstick o-ring seems ridiculous to me. Remove one bolt, pull dipstick and tube out, replace o-ring, reinstall tube, reinstall bolt. I did mine without lifting the engine.

Your mechanic should be recommending a dye be added to the oil so the leak can be pinpointed instead of guessing where it is coming from.
Old 12-13-16, 06:19 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

I forgot to mention that if the leak persisted dye would be added to the oil to find the exact location. The 3-4 hrs labor my mechanic quoted was to repair the pan gasket. I assumed it was for the lower pan. Both valve cover gaskets were recently replaced.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 12-13-16 at 06:23 AM.