LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Ls430 in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-17 | 10:08 PM
Bjamin75
Driver School Candidate

Default Ls430 in the snow

I live on the south tip of Vancouver Island and in the past 10 years we haven't had more than 2" of snow at any given time. Today 7" fell while I was at work. The main roads were covered but ok, but what impressed me was how well my car did climbing the steep hill on a unmaintained dead end road up to my house. I did have to shut off the traction control so I could spin the tires up but made it home. I am going to have to get a set of winter tires on crappy rims for next year.

On a side note the maintenance light came on today. I was happy to discover is was just the top centre break light out, will be replaced tomorrow if the snow stops so I can get out.
Old 02-07-17 | 04:50 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bjamin75
I live on the south tip of Vancouver Island and in the past 10 years we haven't had more than 2" of snow at any given time. Today 7" fell while I was at work. The main roads were covered but ok, but what impressed me was how well my car did climbing the steep hill on a unmaintained dead end road up to my house. I did have to shut off the traction control so I could spin the tires up but made it home. I am going to have to get a set of winter tires on crappy rims for next year.

On a side note the maintenance light came on today. I was happy to discover is was just the top centre break light out, will be replaced tomorrow if the snow stops so I can get out.
hmmmm my high mount light was out when I bought the car (it passed a NYS inspection go figure), but there was no maintenance light as a result. 7440 LL bulbs are dirt cheap at amazon, like under $3 for two? But they are $8 at the auto parts store so I got some extras including 7440A LL

We are not getting snow thus far, and I am grinding my Xice Xi3's into the dirt. There is a ridiculously steep road that I can think of, that I guarantee the car could not get up, even with snows....I'll post if I can somehow take a pic--oddly designed street, almost like SF CA.....
Old 02-07-17 | 04:59 AM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
We are not getting snow thus far, and I am grinding my Xice Xi3's into the dirt. ...
Same here... More rain than snow this year.. I spent 1200 dollars on 2 sets of snow tires not to mention now I'm looking at another 1100 for the wheels to put my summer tires back on, all for (so far this season) 8 inches of snow in one snow storm, which is all melted. Ounce of prevention, or something like that...
Old 02-07-17 | 05:05 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Same here... More rain than snow this year.. I spent 1200 dollars on 2 sets of snow tires not to mention now I'm looking at another 1100 for the wheels to put my summer tires back on, all for (so far this season) 8 inches of snow in one snow storm, which is all melted. Ounce of prevention, or something like that...
True...and if a car has summer performance tires, those are no good at 37F and below, which is why on a new car, I would opt for performance tires, since I would plan on getting snow tires anyway.....I think we only got about 2 1/2" one time, and a dusting another....
Old 02-07-17 | 06:34 AM
Bjamin75
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
hmmmm my high mount light was out when I bought the car (it passed a NYS inspection go figure), but there was no maintenance light as a result. 7440 LL bulbs are dirt cheap at amazon, like under $3 for two? But they are $8 at the auto parts store so I got some extras including 7440A LL

We are not getting snow thus far, and I am grinding my Xice Xi3's into the dirt. There is a ridiculously steep road that I can think of, that I guarantee the car could not get up, even with snows....I'll post if I can somehow take a pic--oddly designed street, almost like SF CA.....
Damn I really hope it's just the light out that caused the maintenance light to come on. It shuts off but comes back on as soon as I touch the breaks.
Old 02-07-17 | 07:04 AM
2KHarrier

Damn I really hope it's just the light out that caused the maintenance light to come on. It shuts off but comes back on as soon as I touch the brakes.
IIR, it is the failed lamp that will cause the Maintenance light to illuminate. I had a tail lamp burn out on my 01 and the Triangle would illuminate when I applied the brakes.
Old 02-07-17 | 01:16 PM
Bjamin75
Driver School Candidate

Got the bulb switched it out on my lunch break no more red triangle
Old 02-10-17 | 07:47 AM
2KHarrier

Got the bulb switched it out on my lunch break no more red triangle
Time to celebrate! Good to hear. I love the easy fixes.
Old 02-11-17 | 05:58 PM
JSJr
Driver School Candidate

I live in Denver. We have a handful of decent snow events every year. Drive up in the Mtn's to go skiing and the roads may be covered in snow half the time. I have Michelin X-Ice tires and I never worry about this sedan. The only time I won't drive it in the Mtn's is when signification snow accumulation is expected. It's extremely capable for a RWD sedan but there is nothing you can do about the ground clearance when the snow starts getting deep.
Old 02-12-17 | 05:44 AM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

With snow tires, the car is very good in the snow. The snow switch also helps.
Old 12-03-18 | 11:08 PM
nadeaiu
Driver School Candidate

I find this car a little to good in the snow lol, i can even flick the rear around a corner with out the stability control kicking in
Old 12-04-18 | 07:51 AM
caddylover
Pit Crew

funny, as i find this car worse than any rear wheel drive vehicle i've had in the winter. Maybe it's the Nokian tires i have on for the winter. I slip more than ever and find that i probably could switch back to the Michelins on the other rims i use for Spring-Fall if it wasn't that i don't want all that road salt on those chrome stock rims.

I'll look for some better winter tires next year. Previous owner had these winter tires on for a few seasons and there are about 2 seasons left on them, so possibly the tread isn't as good as it should be.

Wife has Blizzaks on her rear wheel drive Sequoia and they are great
Old 12-05-18 | 07:29 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

My LS is bomber with x ice 3. The pirellis stink
Old 12-08-18 | 11:34 AM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Winter tires and tread depth make a big difference.
Old 12-09-18 | 02:35 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Sometimes we need to turn to the books we read to our toddlers (Pete the Cat comes to mind.).

The LS430 is not that good in snow. It's a RWD vehicle. The button really does not do anything.

But if you put 4 skinny 225 snow tires on, and drive carefully, you did your best. What else are you going to do? Buy a Range Rover, and put 4 snows on, it?

Quick Reply: Ls430 in the snow