LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Possibly Considering A 2005 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-17, 06:07 AM
diggerydoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
. Where do all u guys get these low mileage gems? No such animal here other than the super clean examples on a Lexus lot with telephone numbers as the asking price!
I'm in the UK so maybe it's different over here . I've seen the odd LS430 with very low mileage (40K or less) going for around $8-9K. The running costs become the main determiner here. Fuel especially. So they drop drastically in price very quickly.
Old 02-08-17, 06:23 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I am looking at a loaded 32K mile 2006 GS 430... Not sure if I am really interested or not because I really enjoy my LS 430. Maybe I will buy it and store it in my garage for a few years? LOL.

Last edited by XJSFan; 02-08-17 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-08-17, 06:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by XJSFan
I am looking at a loaded 32K mile 2006 GS 430... Not sure if I am really interested or not because I really enjoy my LS 430. Maybe I will buy it and store it in my garage for a few years? LOL.
100% serious, it's so nice to have the money to do that.....I would love to snag another LS430, but I can't swing it, and what nonsense to have 5 cars and 2 drivers and no driveway space as it is....but besides all that, money, need it for other things, have a toddler....I figure many of us are ok, but not rich, because we have a corporate job....those who took risk and own their own businesses, can be very rich indeed!
Old 02-08-17, 01:07 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by diggerydoo
* The indicator stalk had a small crack in it
hey i noticed mine had this issue the other day. Not quite sure how to address it and hoping I don't have to remove the whole steering column or something like that..ha
Old 02-08-17, 01:15 PM
diggerydoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toddmorr
hey i noticed mine had this issue the other day. Not quite sure how to address it and hoping I don't have to remove the whole steering column or something like that..ha
It seems to be not that uncommon. I bought a replacement switchgear on ebay for next to nothing (apparently "in good condition") and that had a small crack too... Am going to experiment on it as a testbed - maybe some superglue or similar. It's only cosmetic, but having a car that's in such good condition it sticks out .
Old 02-08-17, 08:39 PM
NCUser
Driver School Candidate

2001-2005 ls430 can have bad fuel filler necks (ask me how I know) which if unknown will not get caught in PPI. Its pita to pump fuel. Part is $100 and labor is 1-2 hours.
Old 02-08-17, 09:42 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by NCUser
2001-2005 ls430 can have bad fuel filler necks (ask me how I know) which if unknown will not get caught in PPI. Its pita to pump fuel. Part is $100 and labor is 1-2 hours.
What do you mean by PPI?
Old 02-08-17, 10:51 PM
NCUser
Driver School Candidate

PrePurchase Inspection
Old 02-09-17, 03:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

it's funny to behave like you're still in college. When I was in college I had a 260 Volvo which leaked fuel. I just drove it for months because it needed a pump and fuel line. my major concern was wasting gasoline. It smelled, and even dripped under the car where it stood still and was idling. But I drove it. I would find it odd to do that today being a middle aged adult hahahahahahahahaha
Old 02-09-17, 06:14 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
100% serious, it's so nice to have the money to do that.....I would love to snag another LS430, but I can't swing it, and what nonsense to have 5 cars and 2 drivers and no driveway space as it is....but besides all that, money, need it for other things, have a toddler....I figure many of us are ok, but not rich, because we have a corporate job....those who took risk and own their own businesses, can be very rich indeed!
I know what you mean, my children are through college which I paid for and now all I can afford are used cars. LOL... My choice and I am happy for it.
Old 02-09-17, 06:20 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XJSFan
I know what you mean, my children are through college which I paid for and now all I can afford are used cars. LOL... My choice and I am happy for it.
Maybe in our next lives, we'll be the ones who have a flagship car tucked away in our summer home(s)....but for now we'll feel happy picking up nice flagships used and getting them into good shape...I'm really excited to take this thing over 300k, but it's so far away from 87k!! 100k will come up reasonably fast, though...

p.s. that's a wonderful thing that you did for your kids. I was talking to a svp last year, and he told me how his dad promised him to get him all the way through college, so that's his promise to his kids. He goes, I have 2 daughters at Vanderbilt and one at Notre Dame. I'm like to myself dag ND is a great school. What kind of place is Vanderbilt, never heard of it....hahahahahahahahahahahaha really dunno what rock I've lived under....I said, wow, 3 daughters, do you have to pay for their weddings? His face just drained hahahahahahahahahaha oooooops.....
Old 02-10-17, 06:00 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Kielbasa
Hi guys, This is Kielbasa. I came upon a 2005 LS430 with 68,000 miles. I am wondering about the dependability and what to sort of expect with problems and repairs. Transmission, engine, brakes and any other kind of problems? I have been a Lincoln Town Car guy for the last 15 years or so I am coming from just about the best ride comfort in the world. I would appreciate all of the input possible...

The timing belt was changed.

My dad is the one who bought the 2004 ES 330 with 19,750 miles (?) back in 2004.

Thanks, Kielbasa
If someone changed the timing belt, my guess is you have found a cream puff because they are following things to a "T" so to speak (change timing belt at 10 years or 90k miles, whichever comes first). Not everyone would do it based on time instead of mileage.... so I think you probably have a very well-maintained car on your hands. Check it for accidents, etc. but I would buy that in a second if it was in good shape and had a documented service history. If you haven't done it already, you can go to the Lexus Drivers Site (google that) and type in the VIN to get complete service history at no charge.

For what it's worth, I have a 2004 with 248k miles (I bought it in 2008 with 70k miles). Outside of routine maintenance, the ONLY things that have gone wrong in the entire life of the car are:
- Passenger window motor ($300 installed)
- Door lock actuator ($250 installed)
- O2 Sensor ($300 installed)

All 3 of those things happened around the 200k mark. You are buying a bullet-proof tank. I wouldn't worry about anything, just buy it. And you're getting a way better ride out of the LS than a TownCar in just about every sense (especially engine feel- way smoother and more quiet in the LS). The LS is also "tighter" than any American car of similar age or much newer (no rattles, squeaks, etc). I don't think the LS and TownCar are even comparable in my opinion (don't forget the TownCar is a nicer version of a Crown Vic). Spend some time in the LS and you'll understand. For now, do your homework on the car and if it checks out, run (don't walk) to buy it.
Old 02-10-17, 06:10 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
For what it's worth, I have a 2004 with 248k miles (I bought it in 2008 with 70k miles). Outside of routine maintenance, the ONLY things that have gone wrong in the entire life of the car are:
- Passenger window motor ($300 installed)
- Door lock actuator ($250 installed)
- O2 Sensor ($300 installed)
This is worth a lot.

If I were a betting man, I would think most of us can sail through 200k. Think about what that means if you picked up a LS430 with dunno say 100k or less. You spent maybe 10-14k, avoided a 40k expenditure for a new car, drive something you truly like (nobody would be considering a LS430 unless they actually like it), and you could be good for another 6-10 yrs fairly easily. Now imho that's winning.
Old 02-10-17, 06:15 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

dude...if you're coming from a Town Car you will be shocked, then kind of saddened, at the LS. Shocked, because there is no comparison in quiet, smoothness, vibration, fit and finish, etc. Then, saddened, because the Town Car is supposed to be the top of the line of a major American car company, and its pathetic in comparison.
Old 02-10-17, 07:23 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
This is worth a lot.

If I were a betting man, I would think most of us can sail through 200k. Think about what that means if you picked up a LS430 with dunno say 100k or less. You spent maybe 10-14k, avoided a 40k expenditure for a new car, drive something you truly like (nobody would be considering a LS430 unless they actually like it), and you could be good for another 6-10 yrs fairly easily. Now imho that's winning.
I am 2k miles away from posting my entire service history from the Lexus Drivers site onto this forum- thought it would be a cool way to celebrate 250k miles and show my very positive experience to a quarter-million miles.

Edit: And I spent $22k out-the-door on my '04 when I bought it in May 2008 with 70k miles. They were asking $29k and it had been on the lot for 59 days (they had to auction it at 60 days). Unfortunately this has jaded me on what I am "willing" to pay for cars now as I kick tires on '11 and '12 460's. I see some at $30k and think they're overpriced (in reality, they're not!). But I totally agree- those that can get these for $10-$15k are getting the deal of a lifetime assuming you're ok driving an older car.

Last edited by jrmckinley; 02-10-17 at 07:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Possibly Considering A 2005 LS430