LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Just bought my first Lexus!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-17, 12:59 AM
kaizmauka
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just bought my first Lexus!

Hi everyone, just bought my first Lexus and excited to join this forum! The car is a 2001 Lexus LS430, it has 220,000 miles but running strong! Honestly, you guys don't want to know what I paid for it...too much. I have my fingers cross that the car will last until 300,000 miles and beyond. In many ways the fact that it has so many miles seems to be a testament to the longevity of these cars...although looking back on the maintenance records from the previous owner (doctor from so cal) it looks as though it has had the oil pan replaced along with the gasket cylinders and water pump..all around 190,000 miles. Not sure what that was all about, but sounds to me as though there could have been damage to the undercarriage?
Anyhow...I really jumped the gun on this purchase, didn't try to haggle the price down and now I am regretting it...because I could have probably got the car for much cheaper. But if she doesn't give me any major problems for another 50k I will be happy.

Really just wanted to introduce myself here briefly, not that I have a particular question...not sure if this the appropriate thread to be posting? My name is Kai...I live in Vancouver, BC Canada....if anyone here knows any good mechanics in the Vancouver area for future reference that would be great! I am looking for someone who knows these LS430s and can help me maintain my new baby so that it lasts for many miles to come! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-24-17, 02:25 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Congrats and welcome! I'm relatively new but my hopes are for 300k as well. I know as the original owner of a Nissan Maxima, 245k was fairly easy. My problem with it is the state safety and emissions inspections--imagine if I lived in FLA or a state with no inspections, that car would also have gone 300k. It made me laugh on the Maxima forum where there was a thread, post your mileage. There was a 479k.

When I look at used LX470's for sale, there you start to see the really high mileage cars for sale, some with over 300k. So like you, I am very hopeful (I'm about 87,500 now)....good luck!
Old 02-24-17, 07:46 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Welcome aboard Kaiz! If we all sat down and looked at what we paid for our cars, I'm sure many of us would be in the "I paid too much" category. I'm a person who dropped a little over $19,000 US for a 12 year old LS. Not many people will do that for a car to drive every day.

Last edited by 2KHarrier; 02-24-17 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-24-17, 08:14 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

If you want to get a snapshot of how your car is sorted out, get an independent auto mechanic to do an inspection. Might cost US$100-150.

Make sure he does a compression check.
Old 02-24-17, 09:17 AM
fatboyq
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

220k is nothing for this motor, easily get 400k if maintained.. good oil, timing belts every 110k etc..
Old 02-24-17, 10:28 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by fatboyq
220k is nothing for this motor, easily get 400k if maintained.. good oil, timing belts every 110k etc..s
. Yes the engine is quite robust and long lasting. On the other hand it's the bushings, seals, (engine and trans) and all electrical opponents on an aging car that is another story.
Old 02-24-17, 10:34 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

I'm guessing those numbers are in KM's since he's up in Canada, eh? Although he did say it has 220,000 miles on it and not KM's... Hmm.
Old 02-24-17, 10:54 AM
kaizmauka
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys heard me right...the car has 220,000 Miles....it was brought up to Canada from Southern California about a year ago and hasn't been driven much since.
Only problems I have found with it so far are 'CD Err'...won't eject or play discs. Also, the side compartment on the drivers door keeps flipping open for no reason and won't always stay closed. This can be a bit annoying but I will figure out a makeshift way to hold it closed. Also I hear that to get the CD's to come out you should disconnect the battery for 30 minutes....I had disconnected mine for about 10 minutes but that did not work....does it really have to be 30 minutes?

Anybody here in Vancouver know where to get a good inspection done? Should I go to one of these mechanics that specialize in JDM imports...or should I just go to a regular mechanic?
Old 02-24-17, 11:16 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kaizmauka
You guys heard me right...the car has 220,000 Miles....it was brought up to Canada from Southern California about a year ago and hasn't been driven much since.
Only problems I have found with it so far are 'CD Err'...won't eject or play discs. Also, the side compartment on the drivers door keeps flipping open for no reason and won't always stay closed. This can be a bit annoying but I will figure out a makeshift way to hold it closed. Also I hear that to get the CD's to come out you should disconnect the battery for 30 minutes....I had disconnected mine for about 10 minutes but that did not work....does it really have to be 30 minutes?

Anybody here in Vancouver know where to get a good inspection done? Should I go to one of these mechanics that specialize in JDM imports...or should I just go to a regular mechanic?
It's always a good idea to go to either and Independent shop that is familiar with our cars or even a dealership and pay the extra money for them to go over all the known areas for any issues. Of course you need to have confidence in the shop you are going to.
Old 02-24-17, 11:25 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
It's always a good idea to go to either and Independent shop that is familiar with our cars or even a dealership and pay the extra money for them to go over all the known areas for any issues. Of course you need to have confidence in the shop you are going to.
I actually think they will notice things the dealers either miss or don't mention in the multipoint inspection. Toyota says my clutch fluid is OK on a report--stupid. They're after big buck items, like LCA bushings @ $1,400, timing belt water pump only @ $1,400, front shocks over $1,000, motor mounts, etc. The indie will be more honest imho, and many want to earn your business.
Old 02-24-17, 11:43 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I actually think they will notice things the dealers either miss or don't mention in the multipoint inspection. Toyota says my clutch fluid is OK on a report--stupid. They're after big buck items, like LCA bushings @ $1,400, timing belt water pump only @ $1,400, front shocks over $1,000, motor mounts, etc. The indie will be more honest imho, and many want to earn your business.
. Good Point!
Old 02-24-17, 12:58 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Just because the dealer says it doesn't mean you have to have it done there.

By taking it to a dealer, they might pick-up on any recalls/TSB that haven't been done.
Old 02-24-17, 02:58 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Daspyda
Just because the dealer says it doesn't mean you have to have it done there.

By taking it to a dealer, they might pick-up on any recalls/TSB that haven't been done.
What I mean is my gut, having been to only 3 dealer appts., is they don't worry about stuff that isn't high dollar. And the fact that they stated my clutch fluid is ok makes me wonder about their integrity, could be they see a 2006 and consider it old or whatever. They did not recommend the output shaft seal leak be addressed, i.e. 2 multip point inspections missed it. Prolly they rather do a transmission replacement, not PM. there are documented threads here where users were told sealed transmission, no maintenance....just my thoughts from limited contacts. I think the indie did a better job on the timing belt than the dealer would have, certainly about 1/2 price
Old 02-24-17, 03:23 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
What I mean is my gut, having been to only 3 dealer appts., is they don't worry about stuff that isn't high dollar. And the fact that they stated my clutch fluid is ok makes me wonder about their integrity, could be they see a 2006 and consider it old or whatever. They did not recommend the output shaft seal leak be addressed, i.e. 2 multip point inspections missed it. Prolly they rather do a transmission replacement, not PM. there are documented threads here where users were told sealed transmission, no maintenance....just my thoughts from limited contacts. I think the indie did a better job on the timing belt than the dealer would have, certainly about 1/2 price
Bottom line with mechanic shops for our cars is that it's ultimately a throw of the dice! 1) We need to find a shop that is honest.and actually is knowledgeable (diagnostics).+ 2) We still need to find a tech within the shop that is motivated and competent. 1 and 2 = a Big Task?
Old 02-25-17, 03:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Bottom line with mechanic shops for our cars is that it's ultimately a throw of the dice! 1) We need to find a shop that is honest.and actually is knowledgeable (diagnostics).+ 2) We still need to find a tech within the shop that is motivated and competent. 1 and 2 = a Big Task?
imho dealers are geared up in a lease mentality. I have a coworker who leases BMWs, but he treats them as if he owns them. So he has an annoying rattle in a 2016 535i--since it's under warranty, he can bring it in all he wants, and they will give him a loaner car, but they'll never fix the issue. He wanted to take apart his steering column, and his wife said don't do that, just give it to the dealer, plus you don't want to break something and be responsible, especially since it's under warranty. 3 trips later, no progress, and they told him, they can't open up the steering column if they don't hear the noise and believe it's in there.

So imho this is how they deal with 2016 cars under warranty, there is a lesser concern on a 2006, unless it's a big ticket item.

Some, not all, indies take pride in their work, because their reputation is their income. When I talked to the actual tech who did my LCA bushings, and now he was doing the timing belt 2 wks later and asked if I felt any difference with the bushings, and how he explained the steps he was taking in the timing belt job, I felt assured he was going to do a good job. The way he answered my questions demonstrated he knew what he was doing, based on what I know from the forum. Honestly, in general, a forum knows more than many dealers. I remember years ago, this is what a service advisor told me at BMW: "STOP GOING ON THE INTERNET, THERE'S TONS OF FALSE INFORMATION THERE!"

That's coming from a guy who told me I have a rechargeable battery, AND a coin cell in my key fob (there is only a 2032 because my car has comfort access i.e. the same as the LS, inductive wiring in the door handles)......

As mentioned, unfortunately my indie is a hike, none in my area....

Quick Reply: Just bought my first Lexus!