LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Rear suspension rattle going over uneven surfaces

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-17 | 05:45 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

It would have been interesting to have someone else drive the car, and you could drive along side of the LS for observation. I realize it's a late suggestion since you're having a mechanic look at it tomorrow, but it would be interesting if you could SEE an irregular compression/rebounding of the shock or anything like that, in addition to hearing a noise. Better yet, if you had 2 other people, lol, I'd have 1 person drive the LS, and 1 person drive you and with you in the passenger seat, drive side by side with the LS, then like a big sheepdog, hang your head out the window and stare at the wheel/shock while driving, lol.

Like the others have said, we ALL know it's most proper to replace them in pairs. Heck, you might do that then fall back in love with the ride! Who knows...

Just be sure it's not the aluminum H shaped retaining bracket bouncing around the brake assembly like my noise was!

Look forward to what the mechanic reveals!
Old 03-20-17 | 08:51 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Thanks BradTank... This exactly is my conundrum. I have numerous oil leaks that are progressing but are still at bay as well as anything else around the corner. When do I bail ship? My car does not break down and looks like a new car. Everything works as it should but things occur that may require repair. When is enough enough? Replacement to another car is prohibitive these days, and my decisions are limited. Thinking of a 2011+ Infiniti G37/Q70 or 2006 LS430 (with the same issues sooner or later) but most are trash or too expensive. Sooo, I keep the trusted LS430 which I do enjoy other than sucking me dry for maintenance and repairs. ?????

My advice is probably not what you want to hear, but if you're the type that has to have a "perfect" car, owning something that is 16+ years old is going to drive you crazy. And it's only going to get worse.

You just have to be willing to live with some imperfections. Or be willing to spend more than the car is worth in repairs.

If you're happy with the car, it's still way cheaper than something new(er). I just bought my wife a new GX460. The sales tax on it was more than I'll spend on any car repairs for the next 10 years.

I'll probably keep my LS another year or so, then move on.
Old 03-21-17 | 02:07 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

update:my trusty mechanic checked over the rear suspension noise after placing on a lift and a few test drives over rough road surfaces. He discovered, the rear suspension and strut were in flawless condition, however the retainer clip for the brake pads was not adjusted correctly. All is well and I just saved myself hundreds of bucks. I'm happy and I get to keep my ls430 for another day!!!!
PS.....I offered to pay for the tech's time but he refused as he mentioned that he was the person who installed the rear oem rotors and pads and should have adjusted the retainer clip correctly. End of story. Alls well that ends well.
Old 03-21-17 | 05:55 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

PS.....I offered to pay for the tech's time but he refused as he mentioned that he was the person who installed the rear oem rotors and pads and should have adjusted the retainer clip correctly. End of story. Alls well that ends well.
Good on him, good for you...
Old 03-21-17 | 06:18 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

That's really good news on your cost concerns, but really very scary that he says that he incorrectly installed the brake retainer clip. I'd be thankful that I didn't have an accident ... and looking for a new technician. I do most of my work, and I can't even imagine how one would incorrectly install the brake pad retainer clip. There's no "adjustment" to that clip either.
Old 03-22-17 | 02:07 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

update:my trusty mechanic checked over the rear suspension noise after placing on a lift and a few test drives over rough road surfaces. He discovered, the rear suspension and strut were in flawless condition, however the retainer clip for the brake pads was not adjusted correctly. All is well and I just saved myself hundreds of bucks. I'm happy and I get to keep my ls430 for another day!!!!
That's exactly what I had (and described in Post #9)

Don't you love driving it, AGAIN! lol!
The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (03-22-17)
Old 03-22-17 | 03:47 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
That's exactly what I had (and described in Post #9)

Don't you love driving it, AGAIN! lol!
Yes LS430inDE......you are the hero here! You were and are right as rain with your diagnostics for my noise. I did mention brakes to my tech and he said he noticed when driving there was a difference in the noise (diminished) once the brakes were applied. Thank you again for your expertise and help. Sometimes it's the small stuff that can cost big $ if misdiagnosed. I lucked out with this one. And YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DO LOVE DRIVING IT AGAIN! THIS CAR IS AN ADDICTION.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 03-23-17 at 07:02 AM.