LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Moving on to a 2013 LS 460

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-17, 10:27 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Moving on to a 2013 LS 460

(This is cross-posted in the 4th-Gen forum)

We purchased our 06 LS 430 in April 2016 with 48K miles. Eleven months later and the car now has 65K miles. It has been reliable, as expected, and still cuts a handsome profile on the road. However, as comfortable as the car is I just don't feel any excitement or attachment driving it. When I get behind the wheel I feel 20 years older. It runs great and is in great condition...but I need more excitement. Perhaps I'm going through a midlife crisis. I originally wanted a 2007 LS last year but was turned off by reports of control arms, air suspension, brake actuator, valve springs, and various other recalls. I felt a mint condition 2006 was the way to go. Ultimately, I want something that combines the reliability of the 2006 but with more athleticism and style. Fortunately, we were able to strike a deal (twice) with a seller of a 2013 Nebula Gray Ultra Lux SWB. I didn't search nearly as long as jrmckinley but it did take five months of hopes and disappointments, and revising my list of must-haves many times over. The LS 430 will always occupy a special place in my heart. Fortunately, I will be able to visit her as my parents will adopt her. Below are some photos of the new car and parting photos of our LS 430.

(seller's new 60D)
The following users liked this post:
Wizard650 (05-16-17)
Old 03-19-17, 04:35 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Congratulations on the new family member!

Putting them next to each other makes it very evident that the 430 looks dated. Even more so than the LS400 in my opinion. The 460 is a beautiful car and the upgrade in performance and technology will be appreciated, I'm sure.
It's just hard to get past the cost of a newer vehicle. I've spent roughly $27,000 on both my LS430s and when I'm ready to replace the '01 in 4-5 years I'll probably be spending at least that on it's replacement. Probably the same car you just purchased...
Old 03-19-17, 06:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Congrats! Looks like a sweet ride!! And yes, when you put them side by side, it's like holy 2000, does my LS really look that dated? I guess it does.

The way I see it is every car has its purpose....technically, my LS is a beater, but it's one heck of a beater, maybe daily driver is more appropriate. I can't wait to get the pilot super sports back on the BMW and start taking it to work when the weather is nice.....

A '13 is practically just getting broken in, and what a good turn to give your parents the 430 and keep it in the family!
Old 03-19-17, 08:11 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Very nice. Is the 460 shorter than the 430? In the pictures the only difference I see is that the 460 back seats don't seem as roomier.
Old 03-19-17, 09:18 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by tradosauru
Very nice. Is the 460 shorter than the 430? In the pictures the only difference I see is that the 460 back seats don't seem as roomier.
Hi tradosauru, the 2013 SWB is officially longer overall than the 2006 430 (200 in. Vs 197.4 in.).

I agree that the SWB seems to have less rear legroom after positioning the driver's seat where I like it. The difference is between .5-1.0 inches in a few places. I broke out the tape measure just now.

The distance between the base of the center armrest and the edge of the center rear seat is 1" less than the same measurement on the 430. The center armrest being farther back may be why photos give the impression of less legroom.

When I measure the floor behind the driver's seat, I lose .5" and this is also confirmed because the potty seat sits more snugly when we place it behind the driver's seat (we have a 5-year-old). I do move the seat all the way up when she needs a bathroom break and we can't reach some place else soon enough.

The distance between the driver's seat back pocket and the edge of the rear cushion (knee room) surprisingly is identical at 13" in both cars. That could be how the seat backs are contoured.

Overall I would say the 2013 SWB has less space in the rear but it's really marginal. On a side note, the way the rear seats are redesigned in the 2013, I actually find roomier shoulder space when sitting in the outboard seats when our wide carseat is in the middle position -- this in spite of the 460 having less shoulder room than the 430 on paper. And given how we have the Ultra Luxury, my wife seems more comfortable riding in the back with our daughter than in the 430. The 430 is still great and very comfortable, so much so that neither wife nor daughter complained during the 7-hour drive to Disneyland. We would have needed to take many more breaks if we took that trip in our previous 07 Sienna. That said, the 460 UL just takes the level of comfort up a notch. I realize that's not a fair comparison because the 430 UL is probably just as awesome.
Old 03-19-17, 09:30 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Do the 2013+ models have the direct injection ticking?
Old 03-19-17, 10:05 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

How much lower is the fuel economy between the 460 and the 430?
Old 03-19-17, 12:34 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Bob04
Do the 2013+ models have the direct injection ticking?
Hi Bob, there probably is injection ticking but I honestly can't detect it. Then again, I couldn't hear it on the 2007, 2008, and 2011 I test drove. Maybe I don't know what to listen for. Strange noises definitely bother me, as when I was annoyed by the faint whining of the AC condenser on 2016+ RX 350s. However, I do not hear any engine sounds on 2007+ LSes that grate on my nerves. That said, the 2007+ LS are not as silent as the 430 at idle, but when underway and on the road, or freeway, I do find our 2013 to be quieter than our 2006 430 (less wind and engine noise, just better insulated/isolated). Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by tradosauru
How much lower is the fuel economy between the 460 and the 430?
tradosauru, I haven't driven enough to get a true feel of MPG yet. I will post back after a week or so of driving regular routes.

Over the course of 16K miles, our LS 430 averaged 18.7 MPG (75% city/25% freeway). I consider that good for us because the 4.3L, with gobs of torque, is still averaging 5% better than the 3.5L V6 in our previous 2007 Sienna. The best tank we got on the 430 was 25.5 MPG. With a light foot and 65 MPH I can get 27-28 MPG with the LS 430.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 03-19-17 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-19-17, 01:47 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Absolutely beautiful pictures! And that color of the leather and the richness of the 13 is just WOW.

It is amazing how I say to myself, the 430 isn't THAT dated. Then when viewed in the same picture or side by side as you have, it's like DAMN, it IS dated looking!

Thanks for posting such great pictures. BTW-----I was chuckling at your "desired" shopping list and the variation from what you ended up with! lol!

Wish you the best and hopefully thousands and thousands of trouble-free and safe driving miles on the 460!!!
Old 03-19-17, 07:16 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Absolutely beautiful pictures! And that color of the leather and the richness of the 13 is just WOW.

It is amazing how I say to myself, the 430 isn't THAT dated. Then when viewed in the same picture or side by side as you have, it's like DAMN, it IS dated looking!

Thanks for posting such great pictures. BTW-----I was chuckling at your "desired" shopping list and the variation from what you ended up with! lol!

Wish you the best and hopefully thousands and thousands of trouble-free and safe driving miles on the 460!!!
I appreciate the kind words and good wishes, 430inDE. Thank you, my friend.
Old 03-19-17, 07:21 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Interesting observation earlier today:

On paper, the 460 has less interior space than the 430. However, today my wife said she feels like there's more room in the rear of the 460! This is coming from a woman that routinely tries to open a car that isn't hers simply because the other car is white, yet she actually notices a difference in comfort between the 460 and 430.

My own measurements show that the back of the arm rest (of a 460 SWB) is closer to the rear seat when compared to the 430, yet after installing our daughter's car seat we found that my daughter's shoes don't quite reach the rear vents on the 460, whereas she was resting the soles of her shoes on the 430 rear vents. The 460 must have deeper rear seat cushions.
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (06-26-20)
Old 03-19-17, 08:12 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
I appreciate the kind words and good wishes, 430inDE. Thank you, my friend.
Nice car and a classy color. Both LS's are great in their own way. Glad you found what you're looking for. Of course, you've redefined the smooth shifting conversation. Now it's 8 speed vs 6.
Old 03-19-17, 08:39 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Nice car and a classy color. Both LS's are great in their own way. Glad you found what you're looking for. Of course, you've redefined the smooth shifting conversation. Now it's 8 speed vs 6.
Thanks, tallca! When I look back at the side-by-side photos I don't find the 430 looking too bad, perhaps because I look back on the 430 with fondness. It's really the interior that looks dated to me, despite the well-maintained condition of the leather and controls. On the few occasions that I was driving my wife's car and she was driving the 430, the profile of the 430 quickly draws my eye and it immediately sticks out in the sea of traffic, especially with the chrome 18s. It is still an attention getter to me, at least the 04-06 are. The 430 does everything well, just without any pizzazz. It is too calm in its execution. I thought that's what I wanted at first. Back when I had a '95 ES 300, it operated in the background too and did everything asked of it. I was completely satisfied with the ES experience. In the LS though, I wanted more personality. Maybe I'm asking the wrong thing of the 430.

I agree, the 430 and 460 are great cars in their own way. I know my Dad will be very happy with the 430. I just prefer the execution of the 2013+ 460. I still tip my hat off to our 430.
Old 03-20-17, 04:38 AM
r0cketm0nk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Asking for "athleticism" in a car such as the LS is like going off-road in a wheelchair and expect it to perform like a WRX STI. I actually hated how Lexus tried to shoehorn sportiness into a car in recent models that's meant for grand luxury and comfort, just ruins the experience. Sure, the LS may scream old money, but every person that had sat in one can only wish their car can be that comfortable. That's why I have a weekend car to satisfy that itch for "sportiness."

But congrats nonetheless. Nothing wrong with moving up to a newer model with more modern tech.
Old 03-20-17, 05:19 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by r0cketm0nk
Asking for "athleticism" in a car such as the LS is like going off-road in a wheelchair and expect it to perform like a WRX STI. I actually hated how Lexus tried to shoehorn sportiness into a car in recent models that's meant for grand luxury and comfort, just ruins the experience. Sure, the LS may scream old money, but every person that had sat in one can only wish their car can be that comfortable. That's why I have a weekend car to satisfy that itch for "sportiness."

But congrats nonetheless. Nothing wrong with moving up to a newer model with more modern tech.
I hear where you're coming from, for sheer handling I think one would find it in a RWD 2006-2010 BMW E9x with sport package (where the sport package is real, not badges, actually no badges identify it--for example, an external oil cooler is a hint how serious, or staggered tires). I think the GS350 F Sport was really slammed in reviews, nothing sporty about it. The interesting thing is BMW has fallen to the badges routine today, with the M sport. I guess everybody has to do what they have to to push the bottom line.

With all this being said, I do wish I had those "sport suspension" badges on my LS!

Quick Reply: Moving on to a 2013 LS 460