LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Transmission Pan Leak & Rear Pinion Seal Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-17, 06:38 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Well I went back under the car yesterday fully prepared to drop the pan clean everything up, apply FIPG and bolt it back on but I'm not even sure if the gasket is leaking. I drove the car around last week after I hosed the pan and differential down with brake cleaner. I tend not to trust ANY mechanics so I just wanted to confirm if I actually had leaks and how severe they were. Also to make sure the stains were not from prior leaks that were fixed. I see no fixes for the leaks in either the Lexus data base or the carfax but the previous owner did not do a lot of things. They did not drive the car much and I'm not saying they neglected it since they did take it to their preferred shop instead of paying the inflated Lexus prices. Anyway the back bolts were spotless so no leak there but the bolts on the passenger side had some residue and there was no leak coming from the gasket ( It actually has a gasket and not FIPG from the factory ). I got the smallest amount of a turn on these bolts, so small that you could barely tell. The other bolts around the pan did not budge at all. S what do you guys/gals think?
Old 04-10-17, 08:40 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

So today I drained and filled the differential. That top bolt had me swearing up and down, both drain and fill are 10mm hex but there's so much built up rust that they don't go down in the bolt all the way. Plus there's not a lot of room. After a long time I remember reading in a How-To thread that someone used a T-50 torx so I but I had to put a T-55 in there and it broke loose immediately. I went to the dealer In the AM and picked up a case of the WS fluid and did a flush using the hoses on the bottom of the radiator. It took about 11 quarts before the fluid started to come out red. Don't get me wrong the old fluid was dark but it smelled just like the new fluid. After that I backed the car onto ramps and then put the front on jack stands, booted up Techstream and waited for the transmission to reach 120 degrees and shut the car off. When I checked the over flow bolt about 3 quarters of a quart came out. Satisfied I put the car down and drove it around for a couple minutes. I''l recheck the level next week just to be sure. Afterwards I programmed a new key I bought From a Lexus dealer online. This was a pretty long 2 days and reminds me why I don't want to DIY as much anymore but I refuse to pay some of the ridiculous dealer or indie prices. Next up is a power steering and brake flush.

Last edited by sha4000; 06-04-18 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-10-17, 08:55 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
...did a flush using the hoses on the bottom of the radiator. It took about 11 quarts before the fluid started to come out red...
Curious as to how you did this. I'm assuming that one of the radiator hoses is pumping out fluid but how did you feed the new fluid into the tranny???
Old 04-10-17, 09:42 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Curious as to how you did this. I'm assuming that one of the radiator hoses is pumping out fluid but how did you feed the new fluid into the tranny???
​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...thread-21.html
I first drained the pan and pumped fluid back in through the fill hole using a fluid pump from Harbor Freight. Then I disconnected the return line on the bottom of the radiator drivers side. I attached clear hose to the radiator and routed it into an empty bottle and attached a funnel to the return hose using barb fittings and clear hose which I poured the ATF through. It's all in the thread I linked up top.
The following users liked this post:
Gronemus (04-10-17)