LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Just purchased 04 LS 430

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-17, 09:33 AM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 111 Posts
Thumbs up Just purchased 04 LS 430

I just bought a pristine 2004 LS-430 with 51,000, mils and always dealer maintained. It is without blemish except, as the owner explained, the maps are not current in the GPS. No hangar rash, nothing. The previous owner "oiled" the leather every six months. All mileage is freeway mileage. I didnt even try to dicker on the $10k price, just wrote the check.

So I joined this list to make sure I keep it a NEW car..

First question, Is there a "Tune" to get more than the 290Hp? My little 4 banger in the Saturn Sky is"tuned" to get 360Hp. Surely there is more in this big engine.

Second question, The GPS screen seems to be cloudy. Can it be polished?

Third question, I am a very capable mechanic and car aficionado, over 120 cars over the past 80 years. Can anyone but a Lexus dealer and myself be trusted to maintain this car? Maybe a Toyota dealer?
Old 04-02-17, 11:10 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Don't know0-60 is 5.9 ample for most folks, Don't know, anyone be trusted of course not, Yes. U got pictures? if this $ is true U stole it what was the dealer gonna give him?
Old 04-02-17, 11:43 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Welcome to the club, Jim

I'll chime in on the 3rd question... Any REPUTABLE shop can handle this car. Lexus dealer is the most obvious choice, but you pay more for services. Toyota can do it, but they probably don't see many LS's in their shops.

There are specialty shops that will work on the car, but it has to be a place that is comfortable with the 3UZ-FE engine. there are a few threads on here discussing the woes of not going to a shop that knows this car.

The GPS screen in my 2005 isn't as clear as an HD TV, so I'm not sure how cloudy yours is..
As far as tuning the engine, there are a few bolt on parts for this engine, but I'm not too familiar with what's available. I know there are headers, intakes, exhaust systems, ECU programing, but not sure what else there is. As was stated by Warminwisc, The car is pretty potent the way it is...

Jim
Old 04-02-17, 11:45 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
I just bought a pristine 2004 LS-430 with 51,000, mils and always dealer maintained. It is without blemish except, as the owner explained, the maps are not current in the GPS. No hangar rash, nothing. The previous owner "oiled" the leather every six months. All mileage is freeway mileage. I didnt even try to dicker on the $10k price, just wrote the check.

So I joined this list to make sure I keep it a NEW car..

First question, Is there a "Tune" to get more than the 290Hp? My little 4 banger in the Saturn Sky is"tuned" to get 360Hp. Surely there is more in this big engine.

Second question, The GPS screen seems to be cloudy. Can it be polished?

Third question, I am a very capable mechanic and car aficionado, over 120 cars over the past 80 years. Can anyone but a Lexus dealer and myself be trusted to maintain this car? Maybe a Toyota dealer?
Sounds like quite the deal. A picture or two would be very cool. As far as the questions go:

1) Probably have more luck doing a Google search for 3UZ-FE performance modifications. From what I have read this engine is already bored out close to the limits so there are not all that many options for performance gains. I'm no expert in that field however. Most people here leave that stock. Can I also add that it somewhat conflicts with your intentions on keeping it a new car.

2) You would probably mess up the touch screen portion by polishing the GPS screen. Can you post a picture of the display to give us some idea of what your issue is?

3) I'm assuming that the range of cars you own runs 80 years and that you are not. Correct? Some people have reported getting their cars worked on at a Toyota dealership. You can always go to the Toyota dealership closest to you and ask.

There is a lot of useful information about this car over in this thread.

Even though you have a low mileage car I wonder if the timing belt was ever changed in it?

Welcome...
Old 04-02-17, 01:33 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Congrats!

I don't know about a tune, I feel that they are snake oil prior to the turbo cars from late 2000's or 2010+.....

About the 0-60 in 5.9.....that was a BMW M3 in 1995. FAST.

My BMW is officially 5.3 from the factory who underrates, C&D said 4.8. Do I need 4.8? NAH. And for $479, since it's a turbo, I could have 100 more HP at the crank. Thanks, but no thanks! lol

My LS430 has less HP than yours, 278, but actually, they are identical, the SAE changed its standard. Even though one can never have enough, this car has enough, call it 312 or 320 lbs. ft. The chassis only does .73g on the skidpad, that's an early 80's car. A S550 does .87g, and is huge. So imho appreciate the LS430 for what it is good at. Reliable, powerful, smooth, comfortable. Like sitting on your sofa, and being able to drive it right out of your living room! 278/312 is enough... my.02

OH, btw, I DO NOT TRUST TOYOTA. They quoted me $700 in labor to replace the LCA rear bushings, with me providing the parts. Also, they charge more for a state inspection, than BMW does. And BMW gives you a free loaner for your $63 (Toyota charged me $78).

Lexus? Dunno. I had them do the coolant and brake fluid. I left the dealer with my brake fluid pretty clean, now it's not. I think they pulled the ol' suction off the reservoir, and replace, not the bleed all 4 calipers. Although the price is puzzling, $59, cheaper than a muffler shop, so maybe you get what you pay for...
Old 04-02-17, 02:21 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts

where in Texas are you?
this car is limited to 130 mph so any mods are going to reduce your miles per gallon and not really help top speed.
don't have the nav. screen so no idea there
most say car is easy to work on. I am no mechanic but I bet you could do just about everything yourself. timing belt can be scary as interference engine can be damaged by amateur mechanic. sealed transmission is a bear to get fluid level just right. everything else easy as pie
you got that car for "trade in" value in my market. a real deal in my opinion. some will say you need to do the timing belt asap. usually 90,000 miles or 7 years which ever comes first. but all who have done it report old belt looks like new. I would not be in a rush unless you have a heavy foot.
Old 04-02-17, 02:23 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Don't know0-60 is 5.9 ample for most folks, Don't know, anyone be trusted of course not, Yes. U got pictures? if this $ is true U stole it what was the dealer gonna give him?
She didnt see what the dealer would offer.
Old 04-02-17, 02:37 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Sounds like quite the deal. A picture or two would be very cool. As far as the questions go:

1) Probably have more luck doing a Google search for 3UZ-FE performance modifications. From what I have read this engine is already bored out close to the limits so there are not all that many options for performance gains. I'm no expert in that field however. Most people here leave that stock. Can I also add that it somewhat conflicts with your intentions on keeping it a new car.

2) You would probably mess up the touch screen portion by polishing the GPS screen. Can you post a picture of the display to give us some idea of what your issue is?

3) I'm assuming that the range of cars you own runs 80 years and that you are not. Correct? Some people have reported getting their cars worked on at a Toyota dealership. You can always go to the Toyota dealership closest to you and ask.

There is a lot of useful information about this car over in this thread.

Even though you have a low mileage car I wonder if the timing belt was ever changed in it?

Welcome...
I will end pictures next week when it is delivered,

The 2.0Lfour in the Sky can be improved from 295 HP with JUST software to 360HP Was hoping something similar could be done with the Lexus. The Lexus is somewhat behind the curve with its equivalent European sedans. It has the handling but not the horsepower.

I looked at a newer Toyota screen and it is also "Cloudy" not clear and crisp like the Towncar.so I guess its normal. The pastel colors are not as crisp and contrasty as I am used to.and the sun washes them out further.

Unfortunately, NO. The range of cars is100 years. And I AM 80.............would trade some of the cars for aout 20 years so it wasnt so hard to get down on the ground to get under the car.

As far as I know, unless it was a RECALL the timing chain was never changed.
Old 04-02-17, 02:43 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I would like 4.2 seconds, like the SKY.........LOL
Old 04-02-17, 02:48 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
where in Texas are you?
Ingleside-On-The-Bay, TX across the bay from Corpus Christi
Old 04-02-17, 03:04 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I would like 4.2 seconds, like the SKY.........LOL
The unassuming A8L is 3.9. An S8 would be insane. Why not get a car that "is" tunable? Like a E9x with a N54.
Old 04-02-17, 03:06 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

3) I'm assuming that the range of cars you own runs 80 years and that you are not...
How does that math work?
Old 04-02-17, 03:26 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
The unassuming A8L is 3.9. An S8 would be insane. Why not get a car that "is" tunable? Like a E9x with a N54.
main reason, I was offered the LS-430
Old 04-02-17, 07:32 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Unfortunately, NO. The range of cars is100 years. And I AM 80.............would trade some of the cars for aout 20 years so it wasnt so hard to get down on the ground to get under the car.

As far as I know, unless it was a RECALL the timing chain was never changed.
When I first read your post I had to think for a minute because I just couldn't wrap my head around the concept of an 80 year old gent wanting to soup up his car, much less work on it. All I can say is my apologies if I offended you and keep up the good work. You obviously are doing something right.

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
How does that math work?
Well if the oldest car of the 120 he owned was built in 1937...
Old 04-02-17, 07:56 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

When I first read your post I had to think for a minute because I just couldn't wrap my head around the concept of an 80 year old gent wanting to soup up his car, much less work on it. All I can say is my apologies if I offended you and keep up the good work. You obviously are doing something right.
No offense was taken. I like HOT and Heavy. My current stable, among others, includes:
1937 Ford PU Roadster with a 1970 Caddy 500cu in V8 (maybe 700Hp)
1970 Jaguar XKE
1972 Lola 540 (not heavy but hot)
1982 Jaguar XJ6
2004 Lexus LS-430 (heavy but not HOT)
2008 Saturn Sky Redline Roadster with Trifecta tune, 0-60 4.2sec

My oldest car WAS a 1909 Ford so 1909 Ford to 2008 Sky is 100 years and I was born in 1936

Last edited by jimisbell; 04-02-17 at 08:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Just purchased 04 LS 430