LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Looking for MP3 player suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-17, 01:27 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman

So, just to make sure I understand how USA Spec works, it has both a USB and an Aux cable that you have to plug in? Well, I guess he USB is optional but if you want it to charge you use the USB cable?
The USB is for a charging cable, and an AUX input is available. I tried the AUX thinking that it would provide better sound than BT. It didn't. The gain was way lower then BT and BT has excellent sound.

Any company can tell you anything about "why our unit doesn't do this because that company changed whatever..." but the end users are the best source.

As far as "loss", amortize it over the lifetime of the vehicle and chalk it up to finding a great item - and buy it on Amazon as it's cheaper than the website.
Old 05-12-17, 06:26 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

@Daspyda....I would be curious to see if you can play songs through Pandora and have the song/artist display. If you can, try to take a picture and post it here. I'll go to GROM and as why their competition can.
I have attached the pic

Album...title...artist
Attached Thumbnails Looking for MP3 player suggestions.-song.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
caverman (05-12-17)
Old 05-12-17, 07:41 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 195 Likes on 120 Posts

I contacted USA Spec and they said it should work with Pandora but that it might have issues depending on the phone OS. Right now I have an LG3 and I'm not 100% on the OS version. I think I remember "jellybean"? Another year or so and it will be time to upgrade my phone anyway.

Either way, I'm torn on if I should worry about sending the GROM back and switching to the USA Spec. It's a bit of hassle just to have the info displayed. I do kind of like the idea of not having to plug in a USB cord which I have to do with the GROM. I'm also not used to that DashLinq app so I don't like it at all. I don't feel it's very intuitive and you MUST use it to get the info to display. I'm also not a fan of Spotify either, I think Pandora is much easier to use.
Old 05-12-17, 09:20 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

I contacted USA Spec and they said it should work with Pandora but that it might have issues depending on the phone OS. Right now I have an LG3 and I'm not 100% on the OS version. I think I remember "jellybean"? Another year or so and it will be time to upgrade my phone anyway.

Either way, I'm torn on if I should worry about sending the GROM back and switching to the USA Spec. It's a bit of hassle just to have the info displayed. I do kind of like the idea of not having to plug in a USB cord which I have to do with the GROM. I'm also not used to that DashLinq app so I don't like it at all. I don't feel it's very intuitive and you MUST use it to get the info to display. I'm also not a fan of Spotify either, I think Pandora is much easier to use.
Thanks for your feedback on the GROM. I may spring for the bells and whistles version. Clean install. The Sony option looks interesting too w/ screen replace and (maybe) better audio. DEF looks like an aftermarket add on tho. It's pretty cool to have options to upgrade. Is Spotify a monthly payment?
Old 05-12-17, 09:30 AM
caverman
Instructor

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Is Spotify a monthly payment?
Yes. I think you can get a small discount for a year but it's only like $5

Spotify = $10 mth (unless you're a college student)
Pandora = $6 mth

Both have free accounts with ads every few songs. It's worth setting up an account on each to see which GUI you like. GROM will play Pandora as well it just doesn't display song/artist in the Nav. You can also get bluetooth streaming for extra money.
Old 05-12-17, 10:39 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Requirement:
Your device’s (smartphone) operating system: iOS 6 or higher,
Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) or higher

Looks as if you need an update/upgrade. If you need an upgrade, I have a 13 month old Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge for sale, flawless w/case and original box/manual - $375.
Old 05-12-17, 11:11 AM
caverman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Daspyda
Requirement:
Your device’s (smartphone) operating system: iOS 6 or higher,
Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) or higher

Looks as if you need an update/upgrade. If you need an upgrade, I have a 13 month old Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge for sale, flawless w/case and original box/manual - $375.
LOL....I'm a cheap bastard. I don't usually pay more than $200 for my phones (thus the LG3). I bought a S6 for my son at Christmas for $180 and that was stretching it for me to pay for his phone. However, I do have a buddy that is looking for an S7 the last time I talked to him. I should see him tonight and I'll pass along the info.

BTW: you made me curious so I just looked on my phone and I'm on Android 6.0.
Daspyda (05-12-17)
Old 05-22-17, 01:18 PM
Robles84
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just to clarify.... the usa spec play right in the navigation head unit? Pretty much plug and play. And to use it either push the cd or tape button ect...?
Old 05-22-17, 01:53 PM
gstern1994
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey -

I'd love to install this on my non-nav car as well. you wouldn't by chance have any pics of the stereo's display while using the adapter? Just curious how detailed the caller id/track name info is.

Thanks!
Old 05-23-17, 07:41 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Robles84: Yes, the display is right on the NAV display unit. You can see a screenshot in post #32 above. You configure the unit using switches on it, and I don't think you have to press anything. The owner's manual is a .pdf on this page: https://www.usaspec.com/p-322-bt45-toy.aspx

gstern1994: the unit I bought is for the NAV unit. Contact the company to see if they have a unit for non-NAV: https://www.usaspec.com/
Robles84 (05-23-17)
Old 05-23-17, 10:52 PM
Robles84
Lead Lap

Where did you place the unit? Glove box?
Old 05-24-17, 06:02 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Robles84
Where did you place the unit? Glove box?
See post 12 on the first page. Same place...
Old 05-24-17, 07:04 AM
Robles84
Lead Lap

Ok thought it would be different since it was a non navigation system
Old 05-24-17, 10:55 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Robles84
Ok thought it would be different since it was a non navigation system
Mine is NAV...
Old 05-28-17, 08:36 PM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed the USA Spec BT45-TOY today. Everything works except the pause feature. When I pause from my phone and press TRACK UP per the instructions, it skips to the next track. Is it supposed to resume the current song? Is anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited by lsdude; 07-29-17 at 11:47 AM. Reason: No one answered last question

Quick Reply: Looking for MP3 player suggestions.