LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Where do ls430s go when owners age?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-17, 02:49 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Where do ls430s go when owners age?

As many of us on this forum are always looking for low mileage LS430s I thought this might be an appropriate thread. As the last of the LS430s are getting on in age (04-06) what happens to these cars or more importantly, what do the their owners decide when ready to sell? Lexus owners are very dedicated and keep their cars a long time. When the time comes to stop driving, their aides start driving them or the owners die and leave them to the family. In both case scenarios....the family usually wants to get rid of these cars quickly as many are not aware of their worth. Bottom line...Unless you might know an ederly person that drives our great car....the car will go to the family or be traded in (for nothing) for something more practical if they are still driving. This is the point. The LS430 is getting on in years and unless found with the lower miles from original owners will eventually become abused and worn out cars passing hands from 4-6 owners. Too bad. However....there are still a few treasures out there! Good Luck my friends. Happy Hunting!!!!!

Last edited by Bocatrip; 04-18-17 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-18-17, 03:16 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

You bring up a good point, seeing as how these cars last...where do they end up?

I know someone who inherited an old LS400, the thing needed some work but the guy went ahead and had all the work done anyway (they wanted to keep it in the family). I thought that was strange at first...12 plus year old car...over 200,000 miles. But when they were done it look good as new - new paint job and everything - I kind of thought that was pretty cool.

But most of these cars are traded in with higher mileage in need of repair, then the dealer sends it right to the auction. From there they probably go to used car lots, or friends of people with auction licenses buy them for their kid's first car, etc. Then they get totaled and you find them piled up on top of each other at the junkyard. A person I know once told me...they all end up at the junkyard anyway, just drive them, enjoy them, because that's where they'll end up. Sad but true. So enjoy them while you have them...take car of it, keep it clean, but drive the doors off of it.
Old 04-18-17, 03:24 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

You both have some good points. I got my '03 w/64k from a family member who passed away at 95 about 18 months ago. In the end, selling my '02 UL w/ 165k and taking over the '03 w/64k made the most sense. I was very fortunate as the car was pristine and meticulously maintained (timing belt, spark plugs, brakes and all fluids were done at the dealer at around 55k a few years ago).

That said, look where the older people are. Both in your area and the traditional retirement communities. Be more proactive in your search, ready to buy and willing to look past normal senior citizen parking dents and bruises. Also, be more forgiving. Low mileage examples are like lakefront property, they aren't creating anymore. Be flexible on colors and option packages. Then find the best car you can, buy, drive and enjoy.

Last edited by LS430Lexus; 04-18-17 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-18-17, 03:39 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sgretchko
You both have some good points. I got my '03 w/64k from a family member who passed away at 95 about 18 months ago. In the end, selling my '02 UL w/ 165k and taking over the '03 w/64k made the most sense. I was very fortunate as the car was pristine and meticulously maintained (timing belt, spark plugs, brakes and all fluids were done at the dealer at around 55k a few years ago).

That said, look where the older people are. Both in your area and the traditional retirement communities. Be more proactive in your search, ready to buy and willing to look past normal senior citizen parking dents and bruises. Also, be more forgiving. Low mileage examples are like lakefront property, they aren't creating anymore. Be flexible on colors and option packages. Then find the best car you can, buy, drive and enjoy.
. Good for you. !!! Enjoy.
Old 04-18-17, 03:53 PM
sumrtoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In 2010 I purchased a 2005 LS-430 ultra in Davie FL one of the best cars I have(my 4th Lexus) owned. I have founded that the best place to buy a car is there in FL. If you take your time and look you will find a great deal from some older person down there. Whenever I decide that I'm going to buy a car it takes months before I find that right deal. The last Lexus I purchased (2008 IS-F) it was 3 or 4 months before I found the right deal. So take your time and you will find that deal in FL.
Old 04-18-17, 07:28 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I'm 6 mos. older than when I got the LS, the car didn't go anywhere except to and from work...do you mean when owners pass on or go to assisted living? Meaning, is the LS430 any different than a S550 or a Mazda 3? Interestingly enough, my wife worked as a caretaker while in college, and drove a rich old lady around in her Lexus in Santa Monica. That woman had alzheimers and accused my wife of stealing all her jewelry...my wife being basically a kid was devastated, although the family knew she didn't do it, she was still fired...

edit aging is sad, my buddy emailed me the best age is 23 and 69, I said no thank you, I don't want to be 69, and he said how do you know until you get there? I know.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 04-18-17 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-19-17, 02:48 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

yep, florida is excellent place to scout for these cars. I've bought two there over the years. Always private sale. You guys that don't live on the east coast, remember that it is very common for people to have a florida condo that they live in during northern winters. They move back to NY or wherever in the spring...voila low miles on their condo car.
Old 04-19-17, 04:46 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by sgretchko
Agreed! Cypress Pearl was definitely not my first choice but I bought mine because it was a one owner, all the major maintenance done by Lexus, and had reasonably low miles. I haven't had a dark colored car in a long time so I'm still getting used to the color but after I fixed the small issues that came with the car I'm pretty happy with it. They are getting harder to find in in good condition IMO.

At the moment my plan is to drive this one for about 3 years, hand it over to my son who will be getting his driver's license by then, and I'm going to go try to find a 2013+ LS460 to step up to.
Old 04-19-17, 06:20 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

They eventually die, just as their original owners die.
Old 04-19-17, 09:02 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

I am the OP....so maybe I have some room for opinion. What many of us enthusiasts don't realize is that giving our cars to our kids is not what they want! These are aircraft carriers and most of our kids want something sporty that won't embarrass them. Yes, I think my car is classic looking (but I'm an old timer) and know it's reliable. Yes we want something safe for our children, but there are a lot of safer cars than the LS430 these days if you can spend the money. Reliability is precious to me, but soon it will be a thing of the past and no one is really going to care. Sorry to ramble..Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-20-17, 08:09 AM
1A1
Instructor

Received 303 Likes on 209 Posts

My 06 was from FL. Absolutely mint condition when I bought it at 106K miles. The old owners lived in Naples and traded it in on a new LS460. The old man golfed a lot from what I can tell (receipts still in the car).

Steve K.