LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New 01-03 Transmission fluid exchange w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-17, 06:03 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 157 Posts
Default New 01-03 Transmission fluid exchange w/pics

Here is what you will need to do a complete fluid exchange (not a flush) on an 01-03 5 speed auto transmission. This procedure will not work for the 04-06 6 speeds without a dipstick.
- 8 quarts or more of Toyota Type T-IV atf. I ordered a case from Amazon
- 8' of 3/8 ID clear vinyl tubing. I bought 10' from Home Depot for <$4
- 1 transmission funnel. Any long, skinny funnel will work
- A clear container for old oil with graduation marks. If your container doesn't have marks use a measuring cup and add 1 quart of water and mark the level, add another quart and mark, and so on.
- A few zip ties
- Tools- 10mm socket and ratchet, slip- joint pliers, jack and stands or a set of ramps
Procedure:
- Lift the front of your car with a jack and use stands or drive it up on a set of ramps. I backed my car up my driveway and used stands to get the car close to level. I don't think it being level is necessary, however.
- Remove the lower engine cover (18 bolts) with the 10mm socket.
- Locate the rubber transmission cooler line on the botton left (drivers side) of the radiator.

- Release the spring clamp with the pliers and move it down the hose.
- Pull the hose off of the radiator (have a cup or pan handy as it will drip a little fluid)
- Push one end of the vinyl tubing all the way on to the radiator nipple. No clamp is necessary.

- Feed the other end of the tubing through a hole in the wheel and into your drain container. Put the container near the outside of the wheel. I used a zip tie to secure the hose to the wheel.

- Make sure you can see the container while you are standing in the open car door. Start the car and let it run until the fluid reaches the 1 quart mark you made.

- Locate and remove the transmission dipstick. It has a little locking tab that holds it in place.

- Put the funnel into the dipstick tube and slowly add 1 quart of new fluid.

- Repeat, draining 1 quart and adding 1 quart at a time, until you have replaced 8 quarts. Empty your container as necessary. My fluid started out black and was bright red by the last quart.
- Remove the vinyl tubing from the radiator and reinstall the rubber line and clamp.
- Start the car and shift it through the gears (park to neutral to drive to neutral to park) slowly several times with your foot on the brake.
- Check for leaks from the rubber hose.
- Remove the funnel and reinstall the dipstick and check that the fluid level is registering on the dipstick.
- Reinstall the lower engine cover (I don't) or throw it in the trash.
- Lower the car and take it for a spin around the block and park it on a level surface.
- Recheck the fluid level with the car running and make sure the level is between the "HOT" hash marks on the dipstick.
- Pat yourself on the back for a job well done (and cheaply done too!)
The following 2 users liked this post by 911LE:
coug66 (05-19-17), StanVanDam (11-28-20)
Old 05-19-17, 12:25 PM
coug66
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats the reason you don't drain the system with this method and then add 8 qts?

One drain and one add?

Just curious, thanks for the write up I will do this method when I need to change.
Old 07-30-17, 12:05 AM
handogg
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Good write up. You can do 1 Qt a time like the OP did. You could probably get away with 1-3 qts at a time. The idea is to NOT leave the AT w/o fluid. I've done it before on my older Lexus and it is no big deal really the transmission will just not come out of neutral regardless where the shifter is until you have some fluid in there. It's also cool to see the change from dark fluid to fresh.
Old 07-30-17, 05:22 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Great info. Not sure how I missed this when it was originally posted. I think I'll try this method on my next D&F which will probably be next spring.
Old 07-30-17, 07:19 AM
911LE
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by handogg
You can do 1 Qt a time like the OP did. You could probably get away with 1-3 qts at a time. The idea is to NOT leave the AT w/o fluid.
There is really no benefit to doing more than one quart at a time. It doesn't save any time as the most time consuming part is slowly adding the new atf. It's the new fluid that pushes out the old and I didn't want the pump to suck up any air. Others have posted about wierd gurgling noises from the trans when trying to remove 2 quarts at a time.