LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Think I got a good deal on a second LS430 today

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-17, 07:27 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm calling the police, and then scheduling a counseling session with the priest. You got a steal, and I'm so envious & jealous!!!

Althoughhhhhh, it's only hearsay until you post at least 2 pictures of it!

I was going to also suggest to buy touch-up paint to cover whatever solution you use to fill the holes from the front license plate bracket. When I first purchased my 05 mercury metallic, I had the same issue. I took the lazy route and simply painted the inner black portion of the holes, which were black. I was satisfied & happy for a couple weeks and then wished I did something to fill the holes. That was about 8 years ago. Maybe someday.....lol.

Have you tried filling it up with gas yet? I wonder if it has the modified/corrected fuel filler neck. The unmodified/uncorrected filler neck makes the fuel pump shutoff prematurely and I've heard can be really annoying. (A solution is to turn the fuel pump handle upside down when filling the tank.)

Look forward to pics and more info about that gem!!!
Old 05-27-17, 07:59 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
I'm calling the police, and then scheduling a counseling session with the priest. You got a steal, and I'm so envious & jealous!!!

Althoughhhhhh, it's only hearsay until you post at least 2 pictures of it!

Have you tried filling it up with gas yet? I wonder if it has the modified/corrected fuel filler neck. The unmodified/uncorrected filler neck makes the fuel pump shutoff prematurely and I've heard can be really annoying. (A solution is to turn the fuel pump handle upside down when filling the tank.)

Look forward to pics and more info about that gem!!!
I can't believe that the gas filling problem is statistically significant. There was a recall on that issue and only fools would have refused to have it done at no cost. And that recall existed well through 2007. Go figure.
Old 05-27-17, 08:15 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I can't believe that the gas filling problem is statistically significant. There was a recall on that issue and only fools would have refused to have it done at no cost. And that recall existed well through 2007. Go figure.
Tell the folks who experienced it's not statistically significant! While more mature & affluent (and usually) more educated folks bought the 2004-2006 LS's, there's many of those folks who don't pay attention to details. Not sure how the notice was issued, but I know a LOT of people who simply throw away mailings about their car, thinking it's a solicitation, etc! In order to have something fixed, they need to know that it's even broken. I'm sure lots of folks simply put up with the fuel pump shutoff annoyance and never ever knew there was a free fix for it. Speaking of, I wonder what percentage of LS owners are even active on this or the other Lexus owner's website?? I'd guess less than 15%.
Old 05-27-17, 09:35 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Can you can tell us a little more about how you managed to find this gem? Private party sale? Craigslist? etc. Were you actively looking for one? Inquiring minds wish to know...

BTW, I guess finding an 04 means that you won't have to change your username.
I've been looking for a while, so I hit the major sites every week or so. I found it on cargurus.com the same day it was listed. I quickly checked the carfax that was provided by the dealer, ran an autocheck on it, and checked the service records on the Lexus owners site. Everything looked good. Called my local Lexus dealer that services my current silver 04, and he said it checked out. Called within an hour and put the deposit on it. Then drove almost 4 hours the next day with my wife to go pick it up. The guy said he had been getting emails and calls about it all morning. After going over it with a fine tooth comb, I paid him for it and the deal was done. Very happy with the deal. I felt he probably could have asked for more than $13,900 considering the low mileage, service history, and excellent condition. I probably would have easily paid $17K or $18K or maybe even more for it. The 430 is a special car to me, and I feel very lucky to find such a good example. I've had a lot of cars and could drive pretty much anything I want within reason (sub $150K), but I consider the 430 one of the finest cars ever built. They aren't making any more of them, and the 460 makes baby Jesus cry. I was eagerly awaiting the 500, but that over styled, turbo-charged rolling abortion is so ugly it makes my eye twitch to look at it . So, I consider the 430 the pinnacle of the LS series. Not the newest and not the fanciest, just the best. The best example of the over-engineering, conservatively styling juggernaut Lexus used to be in it's prime.
Old 05-28-17, 09:24 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by bob04
i've been looking for a while, so i hit the major sites every week or so. I found it on cargurus.com the same day it was listed. I quickly checked the carfax that was provided by the dealer, ran an autocheck on it, and checked the service records on the lexus owners site. Everything looked good. Called my local lexus dealer that services my current silver 04, and he said it checked out. Called within an hour and put the deposit on it. Then drove almost 4 hours the next day with my wife to go pick it up. The guy said he had been getting emails and calls about it all morning. After going over it with a fine tooth comb, i paid him for it and the deal was done. Very happy with the deal. I felt he probably could have asked for more than $13,900 considering the low mileage, service history, and excellent condition. I probably would have easily paid $17k or $18k or maybe even more for it. The 430 is a special car to me, and i feel very lucky to find such a good example. I've had a lot of cars and could drive pretty much anything i want within reason (sub $150k), but i consider the 430 one of the finest cars ever built. They aren't making any more of them, and the 460 makes baby jesus cry. I was eagerly awaiting the 500, but that over styled, turbo-charged rolling abortion is so ugly it makes my eye twitch to look at it . So, i consider the 430 the pinnacle of the ls series. Not the newest and not the fanciest, just the best. The best example of the over-engineering, conservatively styling juggernaut lexus used to be in it's prime.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ one of the greatest posts ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 05-28-17, 12:47 PM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ one of the greatest posts ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Agreed. Very well said and straight to the point.
Old 05-28-17, 04:36 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

congratulations , you have one of the finest vehicles ever built, make sure it dosent have the silly tranny they built in the 04's.
Old 05-28-17, 04:40 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

I'm just happy that, for once, the car I really want isn't the latest, greatest, most expensive thing on the lot.
Old 05-28-17, 08:59 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by lextout
congratulations , you have one of the finest vehicles ever built, make sure it dosent have the silly tranny they built in the 04's.
The "silly tranny" they built in the 04' is the same excellent transmission as is in the 05's and 06's. Never had a better transmission.
Old 05-28-17, 09:19 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
The "silly tranny" they built in the 04' is the same excellent transmission as is in the 05's and 06's. Never had a better transmission.
. Actually the early 2004s did have trans issues. Although some were TSBs the transmissions ultimately needed replacement. I would like to think that after all this time your 2004 TSB had been addressed.
Old 05-29-17, 03:32 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lextout
How do you determine if you have one of the "bad" transmissions? Was there a production cutoff date or something for reference?
Old 05-29-17, 03:45 AM
wayy744
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Whoops. Forgot the price. $13,900 cash straight up. No trade involved.
omg yes you did that was a great deal
Old 05-29-17, 04:34 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Looks like the transmission was replaced. From the service history in August of 2004:

4LC REPL AUTO TRANS (SSC)

Can't believe I missed this when looking at the service history before purchase. Glad it was done then.
Old 05-29-17, 04:42 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

SSC appears to be Special Service Campaign, so I assume it was part of the recall.
Old 05-30-17, 11:06 AM
gstern1994
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So well said!

Quick Reply: Think I got a good deal on a second LS430 today