LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

O2 sensor plug wires disconnected

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-17, 05:38 PM
coug66
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay then this wiring harness is 01. The white wire on the engine wiring harness is the B+ or 12 V input to the heater circuit of the sensor. It goes to either one of the heater wires on the sensor. The blue wire with a yellow tracer/line is the wire going to the other heater wire on the sensor. This is the return wire to the computer to turn the heater on. The Brown wire is the ground wire and would go to your gray wire which is the ground wire on the sensor. The black wire is the OX1 voltage input to the engine control computer and would go to the corresponding wire on your sensor. That should do it

Please can you help me interpret this at the O2 sensor end color wise.
The white wire on the engine wiring harness is the B+ or 12 V input to the heater circuit of the sensor. what color is the heater circuit?
The blue wire with a yellow tracer/line is the wire going to the other heater wire on the sensor. This is the return wire to the computer to turn the heater on. HTL wire color on sensor?
The Brown wire is the ground wire and would go to your gray wire which is the ground wire on the sensor. ground wire on sensor color?
The black wire is the OX1 voltage input to the engine control computer and would go to the corresponding wire on your sensor. Ox1 on sensor is what color?
Old 06-03-17, 06:41 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 678 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by coug66
Please can you help me interpret this at the O2 sensor end color wise.
The white wire on the engine wiring harness is the B+ or 12 V input to the heater circuit of the sensor. what color is the heater circuit?
The blue wire with a yellow tracer/line is the wire going to the other heater wire on the sensor. This is the return wire to the computer to turn the heater on. HTL wire color on sensor?
The Brown wire is the ground wire and would go to your gray wire which is the ground wire on the sensor. ground wire on sensor color?
The black wire is the OX1 voltage input to the engine control computer and would go to the corresponding wire on your sensor. Ox1 on sensor is what color?
On the sensor side:
"B+" goes to one of the black wire
"HTL" goes to the other black wire
"E1" goes to the white wire
"OX2" goes to the blue wire
The following 2 users liked this post by rkw77080:
coug66 (06-03-17), Jabberwock (06-03-17)
Old 06-03-17, 08:18 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by rkw77080
On the sensor side:
"B+" goes to one of the black wire
"HTL" goes to the other black wire
"E1" goes to the white wire
"OX2" goes to the blue wire
Amazing - you save the day on this forum once again. Thanks!!!
The following users liked this post:
rkw77080 (06-04-17)
Old 06-03-17, 09:18 PM
coug66
Driver

update I was checking the wiring incorrectly. The B+ is 12 Volts. When I do a mockup by connecting the wires to the old sensor in my engine compartment ( O2 sensor cold and loose , not grounded)

the symptom is when I hook up the old my scanner does not get any signal from either sensor on bank one.

I checked the ignition fuses both 1 and 2 they are both good.

How can both sensors on bank one be invisible? Even if sensor one is disconnected wouldn't sensor 2 on bank one still put out a reading?

Does checking a o2 sensor out of the heat stream prevent it from being switched on? So testing a connection to an O2 sensor in my engine compartment is not being switched on? I am just reaching here. Is there anything I can test on sensor 2?

Last edited by coug66; 06-04-17 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-04-17, 02:46 PM
coug66
Driver

I just put everything back, no sign of life from bank 1 sensor 1 or 2.

the car pulled a code P0135 powertrain 02 sensor heater circuit

bank 1 sensor 1

P0135 LEXUS - Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 1

Repair Importance Level: 2/3
Repair Difficulty Level: 2/3

Possible causes

• Faulty Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 1
  • Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit fuse
  • Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit open shorted to ground
  • Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
Tech notes

The code means that there is a problem with the heater element circuit of the heated oxygen sensor. The control module monitors how long it take the sensor to warm up and start sending an adequate signal. The code is triggered when the sensor is taking too long to warm up. Water getting inside the heated oxygen sensor connector can caused the heated oxygen sensor fuse to blow. Before replacing the sensor, check for the condition of the heated oxygen sensor fuse and connectors. If the sensor and connector are OK, replacing the O2 Sensor 1 usually takes care of the problem
When is the code detected?

Current amperage in the front heated oxygen sensor heater circuit is out of the normal range. (An improper voltage drop signal is sent to ECM through the front heated oxygen sensor heat
Possible symptoms

• Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
  • Possible higher than usual fuel Consumption
P0135 LEXUS Description

Oxygen Sensors (O2S) or Heated Oxygen Sensors (HO2S) need to reach a minimum operating temperature of 750 degrees F to produce an accurate voltage signal. The faster the heated oxygen sensor reaches that temperature the faster the sensor will start sending an accurate signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM).In order to achieve the require temperature, a heater element is included inside the heated oxygen sensor. The ECM controls the heated oxygen sensor heater element based on signals from the engine coolant temperature and engine load. The ECM controls the heater element circuit by allowing current flow to ground.

The ECM monitors the voltage signal received through the heater element circuit and determines the state of the circuit by comparing the voltage detected with the factory specifications.

Last edited by coug66; 06-04-17 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-05-17, 12:12 PM
coug66
Driver

Default my weakness exposed

I am not a detail methodical person. I so appreciate the information I have received and now I found out for some reason I have been giving a whole host of incorrect information back.

I have actually been going through a major personal issue the night the plug broke.

So here is what I know the wires are the very color rkw77080 has listed. His information is correct and I have been down the wrong rabbit hole.

I am trying to figure whats wrong and what I know for sure with regards to this repair.

My first clue was to zoom into and see a close-up of the plug wires.

I don't drink or smoke anymore so all I can say it must have been I was distracted. Now to figure out with all the colors I have used incorrectly what I know and don't know for sure.

Then I will go in and correct.

Once I am done I will see where I am, what I know and what I don't .

RKW7780 I sure appreciate your help and I am sorry I have made this more difficult.

I am very confident that now I will be able to figure it out.
Old 06-08-17, 08:22 AM
coug66
Driver

d

Well the problem is solved and I couldn't have done this without RKW77080!

The wiring is all connected and the O2 sensors are functioning just fine!

RKW77080 had the right information and it was only my errors that took me off track.

I had the wiring mixed up and that's the cause of all my issues.

took it for a nice drive last night to celebrate! see picture below

Last edited by coug66; 06-08-17 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-08-17, 08:28 AM
coug66
Driver

This is such a smooth, quite, comfortable car!! I really like it. So nice to have most of the issues resolved. next mission sunroof.

Old 06-08-17, 08:48 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Congratulations on a job well done. Love the scenery!
Old 07-24-17, 10:54 AM
Istehsan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rkw77080 since you helped the poster you may be able to help me too. My bank 2 sensor 1 has one of the wire burned by geting on to manifold. I tried repairing the wire but there is no signal. Very sometimes when i accelerate very aggressively there is some reading. Due to this my bank 2 is running very rich. I checked the resistance of the sensor from the two black wire terminals and found near 14ohms. Is there any way to check that repair is done ok? Please suggest. I have a gs300 2003
Old 07-25-17, 03:52 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Istehsan
rkw77080 since you helped the poster you may be able to help me too. My bank 2 sensor 1 has one of the wire burned by geting on to manifold. I tried repairing the wire but there is no signal. Very sometimes when i accelerate very aggressively there is some reading. Due to this my bank 2 is running very rich. I checked the resistance of the sensor from the two black wire terminals and found near 14ohms. Is there any way to check that repair is done ok? Please suggest. I have a gs300 2003
Sorry Istehsan, I'm not familiar with the GS300.
The following users liked this post:
blubly (01-26-18)