LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Another one bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-17, 07:50 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Wow. Just wow... So glad you guys got out ok. I spent 10 years in and around Atlanta, and the traffic is insane there. Lived south in McDonough, though..

Take care of yourselves first and foremost.
Old 06-08-17, 11:28 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

That's a shame as that was a beautiful looking LS. But glad it did it's job and kept everyone safe. Gotta love these cars for lots of reasons, but this is pretty high up there.
Old 06-08-17, 11:34 AM
greg s
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Legender
That's a shame as that was a beautiful looking LS. But glad it did it's job and kept everyone safe. Gotta love these cars for lots of reasons, but this is pretty high up there.
That car was my baby. It took me months to find it back in 2014 and is looking like it will be just as difficult, if not more, to find another one like it. I have no reason to not get another LS.
Old 06-08-17, 11:38 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by greg s
That car was my baby. It took me months to find it back in 2014 and is looking like it will be just as difficult, if not more, to find another one like it. I have no reason to not get another LS.
If it's any consolation....having bought a 2006 last October, with 81k, it seems that the prices have dropped almost $2k, yet the mileages are the same....sometimes even less....this car has an extremely limited audience, and even forum members who are constantly looking and ready to pounce, how many can purchase up to or more than 4?
Old 06-08-17, 11:40 AM
greg s
Driver

Mine was a 1 owner when I bought it with 79k, I did overpay to get that color/package combo though.
Old 06-08-17, 12:47 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 117 Posts

From the pictures the tan interior almost looks like the Flaxen color of the 2013+. I'm assuming that was a white/tan interior but just the standard tan interior color?

BTW: there is combo like that for sale locally to me at an Audi dealer in Plano, TX. I'm almost tempted to go look at getting it myself but I would take a bath on the trade for my car so I'll probably just continue to keep mine for a year or so and step up to a 2010 - 2012 LS460L.

Last edited by caverman; 06-09-17 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-08-17, 01:12 PM
greg s
Driver

It's a saddle interior color and not the standard tan. Saddle was only available as an option on CL an UL cars, it's quite rare.
Old 06-08-17, 01:35 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

That looks pretty bad but I'm glad that you're safe.
Old 06-08-17, 02:10 PM
caverman
Instructor

It definitely looked darker in the pictures. I've never seen that color before. I'm sure it's going to be near impossible to find another.

I know how you feel to lose a loved car. My Silver '04 was that way. I absolutely loved it and personally knew the original owner and how it was maintained. I got taken out by a severe hail storm with baseball sized hail. As soon as the storm was over I went out to check on the car and I immediately knew it was totaled. Although I like my '05, I don't love it like I did my '04.
Old 06-08-17, 07:35 PM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad that everyone is ok. Did you powder coat your rims or is that the lighting? If so, what color is it?
Old 06-08-17, 07:59 PM
greg s
Driver

Originally Posted by lsdude
Glad that everyone is ok. Did you powder coat your rims or is that the lighting? If so, what color is it?
They are hyper black from oe wheels.
Old 06-09-17, 04:57 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

If you don't mind sharing, what did the insurance company give you as a value for the car?
Old 06-09-17, 05:43 AM
greg s
Driver

Still waiting to hear about that. Once I get the police report, I'll know if the other driver had insurance thus know if they are covering or if it falls under my uninsured policy. I bet I won't have a value til the mid or end of next week.
Old 06-09-17, 06:58 AM
caverman
Instructor

Since I went through this within the last couple of months I'll post my scenario. I knew my car was going to be totaled so I looked up trade in and retail value on KBB. I don't remember the exact numbers but it was pretty low IMO. It was something like $7k trade in and $8.5 retail in good condition so I was planning to fight to get in the $8.5 - $9k range. I even made sure I was there when the adjuster was looking at the car so I could point out things like good tires, ML radio, and all the service records. I was extremely surprised when they came back with $10,750. I got $10,250 after my $500 deductible. Not bad since I had only paid $9,500 for the car two years earlier. Now, I will say that from what I understood since mine was totaled from an act of nature that they gave me allowance for my TTL. That might have contributed to the higher than expected payout.

I didn't get quite as good a deal on my '05 but it still wasn't bad. I was willing to pay a little more and overlook the color for a 1 owner that was regularly serviced at a Lexus dealer. I paid $10.5k for my '05 but I had to do a few things like restore the headlights and replace the two front door-lock actuators. I still have to have a couple dings taken out with PDR. Although I'm not crazy about the color I got, it seems to be a solid car.
Old 06-09-17, 08:02 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
Since I went through this within the last couple of months I'll post my scenario. I knew my car was going to be totaled so I looked up trade in and retail value on KBB. I don't remember the exact numbers but it was pretty low IMO. It was something like $7k trade in and $8.5 retail in good condition so I was planning to fight to get in the $8.5 - $9k range. I even made sure I was there when the adjuster was looking at the car so I could point out things like good tires, ML radio, and all the service records. I was extremely surprised when they came back with $10,750. I got $10,250 after my $500 deductible. Not bad since I had only paid $9,500 for the car two years earlier. Now, I will say that from what I understood since mine was totaled from an act of nature that they gave me allowance for my TTL. That might have contributed to the higher than expected payout.

I didn't get quite as good a deal on my '05 but it still wasn't bad. I was willing to pay a little more and overlook the color for a 1 owner that was regularly serviced at a Lexus dealer. I paid $10.5k for my '05 but I had to do a few things like restore the headlights and replace the two front door-lock actuators. I still have to have a couple dings taken out with PDR. Although I'm not crazy about the color I got, it seems to be a solid car.
What package was the one that was totaled and how many miles?

Quick Reply: Another one bites the dust