LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Another one bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-17, 02:05 PM
greg s
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another one bites the dust

Got rear ended on the interstate today. She did her job and kept us all unharmed save a few bruises.

Old 06-07-17, 02:38 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Yikes. Glad you all are ok. Hate it for your car, but it can be replaced.
Old 06-07-17, 02:48 PM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Yikes. Glad you all are ok. Hate it for your car, but it can be replaced.
x2.

Any plans to get another LS?
Old 06-07-17, 02:54 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Wow glad you're ok, sorry to see that....looks like a nice CL....
Old 06-07-17, 02:57 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Wow that's a bad hit. Glad you and passengers are OK!
Old 06-07-17, 03:08 PM
greg s
Driver

Thanks guys. As of now I plan on trying to find another unicorn like that one but it will depend on how much I get from insurance too.
Old 06-07-17, 03:52 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 677 Likes on 463 Posts

Glad to hear everyone is doing OK. That is one brutal hit.

The pictures didn't show the other vehicle - what happened to it? I'm also surprised to see that none of the air bags deployed, given that the front of your car hit the guardrail hard enough to knock off the passenger-side headlight and fender.

Most important thing was that your car protected its precious cargo - all the passengers.
Old 06-07-17, 04:09 PM
greg s
Driver

I'm a little surprised about no airbags too but glad they didn't deploy since they weren't needed. I don't have any good pics of the cargo van that hit us, chevy express. It's front was smashed pretty good but he went to the inner shoulder and proceeded to flee on foot. Hopefully cops got him by now.
Old 06-07-17, 07:56 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Wow huge hit. Very glad you are OK at this point. Be sure to monitor your health status for next couple of weeks. That kind of sudden high impact can do damage to your body that is not immediately apparent particularly to the head, neck and spine. If something feels weird/wrong physically in next week or two, don't hesitate and go have it checked out.
Old 06-07-17, 08:04 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 117 Posts

Wow! When I saw the first picture I thought, that can be fixed but then......nope.

Glad everyone is okay, that is what ultimately matters. Let us know if you pick up another one. A good 430 is getting harder to find but they are out there especially if you're willing to travel a little to get one.
Old 06-07-17, 08:14 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Looks like it happened right here.

I'm glad you got out of it relatively intact. Did the perp even slow down at all? Was there any advanced notice what was about to happen?

The only good thing I see out of this was that it looked like you were due for tires in fairly short order. That would have added insult to injury if you had recently just replaced them...
Old 06-07-17, 11:20 PM
tkblazer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, thankful you and your family are ok! Now the battle will be with their insurance
Old 06-08-17, 01:46 AM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Gawddamn that's a bad hit, and I fix that sort of thing for a living, and I've seen some shockers. Good to see you guys walked away from it relatively unscathed, but keep an eye on your neck especially, as whiplash pain can creep in on you, and in a hit that big even in a yacht that is built like a sherman tank, you'd certainly be feeling that one. When my old FXGT Corolla got shunted by a Camry at 25mph I felt that one for about a week.
Old 06-08-17, 06:25 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

One thing you might consider is getting a massage right away. This will help loosen muscles and stave off some pain which might come after a couple days.

If you have access to the car and its interior is black, I could use a front cupholder.

The vultures are circling! :P
Old 06-08-17, 07:01 AM
greg s
Driver

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Looks like it happened right here.

I'm glad you got out of it relatively intact. Did the perp even slow down at all? Was there any advanced notice what was about to happen?

The only good thing I see out of this was that it looked like you were due for tires in fairly short order. That would have added insult to injury if you had recently just replaced them...
Almost dead on to where it happened. Roughly half a mile before the thornton exit. Traffic was backed up and I was either stopped or going maybe 2mph still after a decetnly quick stop when the semi truck in front locked up his tires stopping. I tend to be very wary with things like this so I stop harder at first then sort of coast to a stop to try to give time/room if someone behind me doesn't stop. I was able to check my mirror and see that van growing larger very rapidly and apparently muttered hold on. We're talking less than a second and things were black for a second then just spinning and coming to a rest. The van that smashed me hit and made it to the center median and apparently jumped out on the other side of the interstate and ran somewhere. Luckily the semi driver in front of me stopped and gave a description of the perp. Police were able to get the van owner information, obviously from the plate, and also got the drivers name since he left a receipt with his name on it in the van. I had a full car and everyone is unscathed except me. I only have a bruise on my leg and arm. I'm really just grateful I decided to drive the LS instead of anything else, it truly was life saving.

If I had to wager a guess though, that van hit at at least 50mph.

This is the best pic I got of the van.

Originally Posted by Daspyda
One thing you might consider is getting a massage right away. This will help loosen muscles and stave off some pain which might come after a couple days.

If you have access to the car and its interior is black, I could use a front cupholder.

The vultures are circling! :P
Interior was saddle of all things!!! But yes, cup holder is black. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get to it though.

If anyone has a lead on a saddle interior LS, I'd love the info. I haven't been able to find one for sale in the US as of yet.
You can see how the front seats got leaned back and mine twisted from the forces.

Last edited by greg s; 06-08-17 at 07:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Another one bites the dust