Getting a second car- 04 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-17, 10:40 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts

There's this gold 2004:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...delCode1=LS430

High mileage at 141k but it looks pretty clean from the pics.
Old 06-19-17, 10:47 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
Find out more about the service history. Pull the details and/or ask to see the service records, especially for the timing belt. You have to see what else was done with the timing belt like the water pump and/or tensioner. Price is definately at the top end for the year and mileage but it could be worth it and/or they might come down a little on the price.

Looks like it's a sport suspension from the pics. You should confirm that as well.
Good advice on checking. It would sell quickly in CA for that price and condition. After owning an 01 w/ stock suspension, It took a couple of months to get used to the sports suspension. More connected to the road but it's still a luxury ride. With the right tires, quiet on the freeways but less body roll on freeway ramps. LOL I really don't need another LS but one of my favorite colors and it's a Sport. My buddy wants to buy my 04 for 12 (CA pricing again). No, not another used car project....
Old 06-19-17, 10:55 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by LatinGS350
Yeah I think he did pay more for it but hopefully he'll be willing to negotiate. About month ago I had found a 20006 in Cypress with cashmere and it had 68k miles and priced in the high 13k and I was ready to buy it but it was gone by the time I got to the dealer haha. It was gone in like 3 days.

I totally agree with you. I might have to looks like in CA since I've seen some nice looking 2006's over there.
Yes and will probably cost more money.
Old 06-20-17, 06:47 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Good advice on checking. It would sell quickly in CA for that price and condition. After owning an 01 w/ stock suspension, It took a couple of months to get used to the sports suspension. More connected to the road but it's still a luxury ride. With the right tires, quiet on the freeways but less body roll on freeway ramps. LOL I really don't need another LS but one of my favorite colors and it's a Sport. My buddy wants to buy my 04 for 12 (CA pricing again). No, not another used car project....
You would buy the Sport one?
Old 06-20-17, 09:59 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

You would buy the Sport one?
Yeah I like the Sport. Good choice if you want better handling and more road feedback. Not the right choice if you want the legendary ultra comfortable stock suspension. I texted. Seller is the 3rd owner. He says no shifting problems. The key to these cars is the service history. If it checked out (especially transmission history) I'd consider buying for 10. Remember it looks like a bargain for a CA buyer.
Old 06-20-17, 10:44 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Yeah I like the Sport. Good choice if you want better handling and more road feedback. Not the right choice if you want the legendary ultra comfortable stock suspension. I texted. Seller is the 3rd owner. He says no shifting problems. The key to these cars is the service history. If it checked out (especially transmission history) I'd consider buying for 10. Remember it looks like a bargain for a CA buyer.
I haven't driven a sport. The Cypress one that I test drove was ultra comfortable and that's what I'm looking for. I'll have to test it out pretty soon.
Old 06-20-17, 09:10 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

I haven't driven a sport. The Cypress one that I test drove was ultra comfortable and that's what I'm looking for. I'll have to test it out pretty soon.
If you want ultra comfortable, don't buy a Sport.
Old 06-20-17, 09:40 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

If you want ultra comfortable, don't buy a Sport.
If it rides smoother than my GS350, I would be happy haha.
Old 06-21-17, 09:14 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by caverman
$11.5 OBO means you can get it for at least $11k. If the water pump is leaking then it should have gone back to the dealer that did the work on the timing belt. It might just be that the new dealer saw previous signs of a leaking water pump but it's not actually leaking now. You might call the dealer that did the work on the water pump and timing belt, let them know you're thinking about buying the car and if they would fix it if it's truly leaking. If not then you need to consider the price of a water pump replacement.

Sounds like it needs new tires. They recommend 3 tires but personally I would do all 4 with an alignment just to be safe. Again a negotiating point because that will probably cost you between $800 - $1k and that's probably something you'll have to do fairly quick.

Sounds like the door lock actuators (motors) are on their way out. Not an uncommon thing and there are some DIY threads on here on how to replace just the motors for $10 each. It's not a super easy fix but if your mechanically inclined it can be done. I had to do both front doors on my Cypress Pearl when I bought it. However, for bargaining on the price of the car, check your local dealer to find out how much door lock replacement is. Lexus usually wants stupid money to do them, something like $800 a side. I had an indie quote me $325 a side to just replace the motors and not the whole actuator. An actuator part alone is in the $250 range. After having done the door locks myself I can say that I would prefer not to ever have to do them again unless I had to. You'll just have to decide if the Silver color is worth the effort over the Cypress Pearl. If you're on the fence between the cars you might use the Silver one as a bargaining chip for the Cypress one. Show them the post and let them know for $11k you can get one with the timing belt already done.

Just based on the service history I would say it seems as though the Cypress Pearl has been maintained a little better. There is a big gap after the 31k service on the Silver one but that doesn't mean it wasn't serviced from outside of a Lexus dealer.

??? how do these people live in AZ and not tint their windows? It's the same here in TX. It's mandatory IMO.
Tint pretty much a must do in CA. I drove an 03 LS w/o any. Felt like a microwave on wheels.
Old 06-21-17, 09:27 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

I can't have a car without tint.

There's this low mileage 2002:
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/6185022664.html

Seems a little overpriced since KBB values it at around $6800.

What do you guys think? The 02 is not preferred mode year. I like the 04-06 HID projector headlights,
Old 06-21-17, 09:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Tint pretty much a must do in CA. I drove an 03 LS w/o any. Felt like a microwave on wheels.
The laws out east are very odd...in some states it's almost not allowed, yet people do it anyway (lack of enforcement?)....yet, if from the factory, ok.....

One of my pet peeves is tinted windshields that are like 19% or something. I think they ought to be pulled over....
Old 06-21-17, 09:38 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I can't have a car without tint.

There's this low mileage 2002:
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/6185022664.html

Seems a little overpriced since KBB values it at around $6800.

What do you guys think?
I agree overpriced, although 89k is low miles for a '02. What does this guy mean private sale means no sales tax in AZ? Reminds me of my wedding. Guy goes you pay cash, no sales tax. I said I pay cash, 20% discount. He goes no. I say I use AMEX. I'll take the $600 in rewards. Guess I bit my nose to spite my face, but it was the principle.
The following users liked this post:
LatinLS430 (06-24-17)
Old 06-21-17, 12:16 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
The laws out east are very odd...in some states it's almost not allowed, yet people do it anyway (lack of enforcement?)....yet, if from the factory, ok.....

One of my pet peeves is tinted windshields that are like 19% or something. I think they ought to be pulled over....
Tinted front windshield/front windows are technically illegal in CA. My tint guy won't "officially" install. My car does have almost invisible tint on front door windows. UV protect? I did 20% (which isn't "limo dark") on rear doors/rear glass. Good heat protection but I can still see what's happening on either side and behind me. This car has miles of glass. Without some tint, the interior quickly gets hot. I don't know what the service code is but a condition known as "sautéed driver" will probably happen. Maybe the car goes into limp mode. The driver will probably look he/she is
Old 06-24-17, 08:01 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

There is this Cypress:
http://www.mortonmotor.com/inventory...itional-photos

Seems like a good price. 112k miles. But it has some damage to the right of front bumper and what looks like some black scuff marks on the rear passager door.

Last edited by LatinLS430; 06-24-17 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-24-17, 11:44 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

There's is this Cypress:
http://www.mortonmotor.com/inventory...itional-photos

Seems like a good price. 112k miles. But it has some damage to the right of front bumper and what looks like some black scuff marks on the rear passager door.
That 04 Sports in Mesa looks like a good deal. I've texted several times. Sounds like the guy's really taken care of it. Always garaged home/work. New ceramic brakes. Dealer service records. Flint Mica (better than Cypress JMO). Ask is 11/best. He might take 10. I would seriously consider but I don't want to drive to AZ.

Quick Reply: Getting a second car- 04 LS430