LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS 430 Needs New Engine...Mechanic quoted me at $6-$8k

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-17, 01:19 PM
d33nice
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS 430 Needs New Engine...Mechanic quoted me at $6-$8k

Long story short I'm an idiot; judging what happened yesterday I pretty much can be classified as a car noob. Was moving to Seattle, driving out of Los Angeles, just passed by Pyramid Lake. My radiator failed unknowing to me on the way somewhere. Warning signs were weakened AC, bad shifting. Temp gauge wasn't high, but fluctuating between one-fourth and halfway up to Hot; at the time didn't know what to make of it, and never under the impression that the engine was overheated. Thought I could make it to Lebec/Gorman, but guess not. Car stalled upon hitting 80 mph, died, had to pull over. Towed it back to home in Burbank after spending $600 for towing/initial diagnostics, got the call today that I need a new engine. Inherited the 2006 LS this January with 132k miles from my father, who I guess never did the timing belt service at 110-110k miles (learned that yesterday), but somehow I've managed to use this car the past 6 months without any problems, including 3 trips to the Bay Area and back.

So mechanic quoted me at $6-$8k for engine replacement, radiator replacement, timing belt/water pump service, and labor. I posted on Reddit, and was under the impression I would be spending $4k for the service, so the quote was a bit of a surprise. I want to get more opinions; I was willing to fix it before getting the $6-$8k quote. Now, I am leaning towards getting rid of it and just buying a used Corolla/Civic (crossing fingers for maybe a Mazda 3 hatchback), since I have to get out of LA and up to Seattle as soon as possible. Also since I'm unemployed and recently out of college, my budget is relatively tight. $10k in savings, $8k in checking. I have a trust fund set up for my brother and I after my father died that contains $160k for us each, but money is not available for use until I'm 25 or there are extenuating circumstances. Any recommendations for mechanics that might be more reasonable in the Burbank/Glendale/LA area, or is that $6-$8k figure the right number? Very confused overall on this matter, and don't know where to go from here.

Last edited by d33nice; 06-23-17 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-23-17, 01:25 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about your Dad, and your car.

I'm surprised the engine would be shot if it never went all the way hot on the gauge......

What about finding a low mileage used engine on eBay or online somewhere, then having it shipped to a shop you trust, and swapped in? Seems like that should run more like 3-4 Grand total-
Old 06-23-17, 01:39 PM
d33nice
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MX5
Sorry about your Dad, and your car.

I'm surprised the engine would be shot if it never went all the way hot on the gauge......

What about finding a low mileage used engine on eBay or online somewhere, then having it shipped to a shop you trust, and swapped in? Seems like that should run more like 3-4 Grand total-

I've never done anything like that before....how hard would that be and would it be superior to going on CL and finding a Corolla/Civic that I can drive to the ground for under $4k? Reddit was telling me the same thing; the whole thing shouldn't go over $4k. But will look at eBay and car-part.com right now to see what I can find.

Last edited by d33nice; 06-23-17 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-23-17, 02:01 PM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd say building your life is way more important than fixing a car.

If you have some relative or friend with a large property or even some garage space within a few hundred miles of where the car is then tow it there and store it until you have a job and can budget to fix it right. If that's not an option dispose of it as is and cut your losses now; don't pay a storage place rent to keep a dead car. You can buy a reliable and does not need constant repairs Lexus ES or GS in very nice condition for $3-4 grand. For some reason people think an older used Lexus is a money pit like a used German luxury car so the older ES and GS 6 cyl models usually sell for what newer and much lesser of a vehicle economy cars like a corolla or civic sell for.

Once you have the job/income you want then you can fix this car (if stored rent free) or buy one just like it if you really liked it.
Old 06-23-17, 02:09 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Buy a used import that is cheap and good on gas.
Old 06-23-17, 02:12 PM
d33nice
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Daspyda
Buy a used import that is cheap and good on gas.
Yeah I entertained the idea of engine swapping for about 10 minutes. I think I'm going back to CL and see what I can find. Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-23-17, 06:05 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Doing a LS engine swap has the potential for other expensive problems. Also stressful if you don't have any experience w/ car repairs. Not worth it.
Old 06-23-17, 07:04 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Sorry for your dad and your predicament. Likely better to just sell the LS430 "as is" via the local Craig's list. Maybe ask the mechanic to host and show the car in exchange for 15% commission. In the meantime find a way back home (bus/train/plane/rental car) and then buy a car later when you have the time to do a reasonable search and get the prospective car inspected before purchase.

Lesson learned - if a car overheats on you even just a little more than usual - stop and investigate. Do not continue to drive a car that is overheating - many engines with minor issue like a failing radiator have been completely destroyed by the driver not pulling over immediately when they have warning signs of overheating car.
Old 06-23-17, 07:50 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Don't drive 80 mph. Corolla for u. If U can do without a car do it.
Old 06-23-17, 07:57 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

buy an engine from a wreck yard for 500$ plus 700$ labor and they will install it for you, this guarantees the engine is good, then your back in business, these engines are cheap cause these aren't in demand due to there reliability, a 2000 ford taurus engine probably cost more
Old 06-23-17, 08:10 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts

I definitely wouldn't pay $8k for the engine replacement.

Who knows, you could be in a situation where you simply need a new radiator. The timing belt and water pump could not even be related to the breakdown. You might want a 2nd opinion even though its not convenient. Why specifically do you need a new engine? Did the mechanic break it down for you? Was it the headgaskets? Those can often be addressed without an engine replacement.

So my advice would be to call around shops that specialize in Lexus/Toyota and get some quotes for an engine swap. I think you can get a shop to do everything for under $4,000, and that's pretty high as well. I figure about $1,200 for a new engine and $2,000 for labor. And then add a radiator, timing belt water pump, etc. But again, I would just make extra sure you truly need a new engine.

If you can't find a place that will go much under that price of $6k-$8k, I would sell it as is, cash out and buy something else.
Old 06-23-17, 09:21 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Don't drive 80 mph. Corolla for u. If U can do without a car do it.
Please don't tell me driving 80 is bad for an LS. Well 80 in an 04 may cause the slight whine. Better to drive at least 85
Old 06-23-17, 10:39 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow I am surprised at all the people saying dump the car. I guess it depends if you are into cars really, but a Corolla is no replacement for an LS, sorry. If the LS is in nice condition I believe it's well worth fixing at a 3-4k investment. Suggestion above is good to find a shop that specializes in Toyota products. I know of engine swaps done for under 1,000 labor cost, but who knows, maybe it's more complex on these cars.....
Old 06-24-17, 03:31 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

The advice my dad gave me, when I was in your shoes, I'll give to you, "Get rid of it."

When I was a kid, I got ripped off by some old dude (from my perspective, prolly 35) who sold me a Volvo with blown head gaskets (plural, V6). I sued in small claims and lost. I actually did not take my dad's advice, and it was good advice, and I put in a used motor/tranny for $900. I then drove that car for 8 years.

You shared your financials, which you didn't have to do, and so that only bolsters the advice to cut your losses. You can get 2006 Corollas all day long for 4-6k. Now you'll be set for years.

My wife's cousin is in your shoes. His dad passed away, and left one condo to his wife, and one to his son. They are on Lake Shore Drive, so do the math, when the cousin turns 25, he's rich. But he's smart--he pretends it does not exist, and at 22, he started work at almost six figures. When you turn 25, you'll be better off than 99% of the 25 y.o.'s out there, i.e. off to a good start. Don't let one bothersome event change that. Good luck.

p.s. I think events like this build character--you seem to take responsibility for the error/events--that's a positive
Old 06-24-17, 06:36 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Interesting, varied, and as usual valuable set of answers/posts. I think the overall consensus here is that there are way less expensive ways to get the engine swap done on your car but you do will do better if you know your way around cars and dealing with shops/car mechanics. If you are up for that task, have the time, and your feel confident in working with a local shop to source a good junk yard engine and not get ripped off in the process then go for it. An LS430 is a great car and it should be repaired. If you are not comfortable with the repair plan, sell the car as is for cash to someone that is willing, able, and happy to get it repaired. By the way $4-5k for a replacement car is not going to get you much in today's used car market unless you are patient and very careful.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 06-24-17 at 06:53 AM.

Quick Reply: LS 430 Needs New Engine...Mechanic quoted me at $6-$8k