LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Opinions Please: 2006 LS 430 Potential Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-17, 09:19 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I prefer buying used, from a new car dealer....it doesn't really have to be more expensive, in general it is, but again, doesn't have to be.....since my car was purchased in NYS, it had a 30-day/1 mo. warranty. I know this is not much, but it is the law, meaning, I couldn't have gotten burned where it already had blown head gaskets or a failed tranny, etc. If it had 1k less miles, 2 mo. or 3,000 miles--now that is more useful. At any rate, as stated, the driver door actuator was non-functioning, and I discovered the brakes pulsated--these were fixed at no charge. Also, I asked for OEM parts to be used, and they were (at least they returned the Toyota boxes to me and those boxes had Mt. Kisco Lexus on them). If I had dealt with a private party, obviously I would have needed to deduct from the selling price and know that these issues were present.

If buying from a Lexus dealership, ask them for the internal work order, to see what has been done to recondition for resale. I hate to admit, they fudge this sometimes--a 2005 that I looked at had 4 new Dunlop SP tires showing, and when I saw the car, it had 4 China made new tires....my guess is it has some tax purposes why they inflate the repair, because it's internal....
Old 06-28-17, 01:29 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The brown car is officially a no-go.

Brought it to Lexus today and had it inspected, and they found the following:

- A code for shift solenoid A being stuck or off - tech said this almost always leads to a full transmission replacement
- Cracking motor mounts
- Cracking transmission mounts
- Rear brakes wearing unevenly
- All 4 tires were 5 years old and need to be replaced
- Control arm bushings starting to crack
- Vehicle needs new brakes
- Brake fluid was very dirty
- Passenger side of the car shows signs of body work.

Let's just say the dealer/seller wasn't very happy when I returned.

Oh well...

Thanks to everyone for the opinions and advice.
Old 06-28-17, 04:39 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

quite interesting. Wonder if that was an auction car the dealer took a gamble on...cosmetically strong but issues under the covers. Other than the trans code, all that stuff is easily fixed and economically so if you DIY. I still say for the right price that car would work.
Old 06-28-17, 06:35 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toddmorr
quite interesting. Wonder if that was an auction car the dealer took a gamble on...cosmetically strong but issues under the covers. Other than the trans code, all that stuff is easily fixed and economically so if you DIY. I still say for the right price that car would work.
I would want the car for under $10k with a possibly bad transmission, and today the dealer made it very clear to me that he will have plenty of other people wanting to buy it, so he wasn't budging on price.

I am back wondering if I should give the gray '05 with 69k miles another look. I really wish it had nav/ML, but that low of mileage is really tempting, and it's a private seller. I blasted the ML system in the LS 430 today, and for ten years old, it's still pretty fantastic. I know I won't ever use the nav, but the ML and backup camera would be really, really nice...
Old 06-28-17, 07:10 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I use the back up camera and ML on mine some, but never touch the Nav screen except to adjust the radio.
Old 06-28-17, 09:06 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

i never use the back up camera.i do use the nav.
hold out and get what you want.
The following users liked this post:
MPLexus301 (06-29-17)
Old 06-29-17, 06:17 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Legender
I use the back up camera and ML on mine some, but never touch the Nav screen except to adjust the radio.
NAV is useless; camera is handy.
MPLexus301 (06-29-17)
Old 06-29-17, 06:23 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Daspyda
NAV is useless; camera is handy.
I do use the nav to show a map oriented in north position. It helps in a pinch if I need to see if a cross street can be used to either cut a corner to avoid a backup, etc. I have never used it to navigate to a destination, however. Tried once and couldn't even get the address entered so I gave up. Yes the cam is handy--but if a car doesn't have nav, doesn't it show the rear view in the mirror, or maybe I'm thinking of some other brand...
Old 06-29-17, 08:24 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I would want the car for under $10k with a possibly bad transmission, and today the dealer made it very clear to me that he will have plenty of other people wanting to buy it, so he wasn't budging on price.

I am back wondering if I should give the gray '05 with 69k miles another look. I really wish it had nav/ML, but that low of mileage is really tempting, and it's a private seller. I blasted the ML system in the LS 430 today, and for ten years old, it's still pretty fantastic. I know I won't ever use the nav, but the ML and backup camera would be really, really nice...
that dealer might be bluffing, almost all of them are total bs artists. If he's really going to sell that car in that shape at that price without disclosing those things, well that's totally unethical.

i wouldn't shy away from a private seller...in fact I prefer them. You get a much better and accurate picture of what you're really buying, not many people can keep up a lie when they are carefully questioned by someone who knows these cars. The problem with privates is often the pricing is unrealistic but after no sale for a while they will listen to reason.
MPLexus301 (06-29-17)
Old 06-29-17, 11:19 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I prefer buying used, from a new car dealer....it doesn't really have to be more expensive, in general it is, but again, doesn't have to be.....since my car was purchased in NYS, it had a 30-day/1 mo. warranty. I know this is not much, but it is the law, meaning, I couldn't have gotten burned where it already had blown head gaskets or a failed tranny, etc. If it had 1k less miles, 2 mo. or 3,000 miles--now that is more useful. At any rate, as stated, the driver door actuator was non-functioning, and I discovered the brakes pulsated--these were fixed at no charge. Also, I asked for OEM parts to be used, and they were (at least they returned the Toyota boxes to me and those boxes had Mt. Kisco Lexus on them). If I had dealt with a private party, obviously I would have needed to deduct from the selling price and know that these issues were present.

If buying from a Lexus dealership, ask them for the internal work order, to see what has been done to recondition for resale. I hate to admit, they fudge this sometimes--a 2005 that I looked at had 4 new Dunlop SP tires showing, and when I saw the car, it had 4 China made new tires....my guess is it has some tax purposes why they inflate the repair, because it's internal....
I've bought several cars from our local Honda dealer. Sure, more expensive. Actually the 04 Lex ES330 was pretty close to private price. The BIG plus is that I get to test drive any cars for 3 days. If I don't like it, can return and there's no pressure to buy. It's also 2 miles from home. I bought my 04 from an Infinity dealer 20 miles away. Yes I did have to do all the paperwork but didn't close until I said yes. Yes more expensive but had a 5 day return "no questions asked". Took it to my mechanic for inspection (excellent car). Drove it. Kept it. Sales Manager even drove my 01 back to my house.
Old 06-29-17, 11:26 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by toddmorr
that dealer might be bluffing, almost all of them are total bs artists. If he's really going to sell that car in that shape at that price without disclosing those things, well that's totally unethical.

i wouldn't shy away from a private seller...in fact I prefer them. You get a much better and accurate picture of what you're really buying, not many people can keep up a lie when they are carefully questioned by someone who knows these cars. The problem with privates is often the pricing is unrealistic but after no sale for a while they will listen to reason.
Dealer is bluffing. They all do. It's the usual "we've had many calls and it will sell soon" message. Agree totally unethical at that price. Yeah agree about the more accurate picture on private. If the owner lives somewhere nice and has service records, it helps. Like you said, private prices are often ridiculous. The problem is that it's hard to find really nice 430's privately. It looks like many trade in because they don't want the hassle of selling. It also take a long time to sell privately and some people just want to be done with it.
Old 06-29-17, 11:29 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Legender
I turned the screen off. ML adjusts show up if I change volume, disc, etc. Plan to get high tech replace (higher resolution, iPhone connect for Nav, etc). Hope back up cam still works.
Old 06-29-17, 11:37 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The brown car is officially a no-go.

Brought it to Lexus today and had it inspected, and they found the following:

- A code for shift solenoid A being stuck or off - tech said this almost always leads to a full transmission replacement
- Cracking motor mounts
- Cracking transmission mounts
- Rear brakes wearing unevenly
- All 4 tires were 5 years old and need to be replaced
- Control arm bushings starting to crack
- Vehicle needs new brakes
- Brake fluid was very dirty
- Passenger side of the car shows signs of body work.

Let's just say the dealer/seller wasn't very happy when I returned.

Oh well...

Thanks to everyone for the opinions and advice.
Maybe transmission and probably LCA's? Good thing you had it inspected! Also the bumper damage. Sorry it didn't work out. Briarwood is a cool color. Probably "only" 4-5k to repaint another LS
Old 09-11-17, 10:20 AM
kelleher2
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i Have a 2005 silver LS430. 46000 miles for sale. One owner prior to me. with scheduled service done to 50,000. i bought it a couple months ago. Runs like new. Going to a GX460 this week.
Old 09-11-17, 10:37 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

shame it now seems unwise to blanketly consider TX or FLA cars, sure it's case by case but before it was the opposite, case by case why not....my buddy's house in Tampa made it ok. They really do seem to build houses well down there I guess post 1992. Hard to believe that was 25 years ago, time marches on. I think my car is better off up here than it would have been in Naples where it spent most of its life....

Quick Reply: Opinions Please: 2006 LS 430 Potential Purchase