LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Nine Quarts of Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-17, 06:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I always put 1/4 to 1/2 qt. shy of the capacity with filter. In the LS, I would do 5 since the jug is 5. Then, I actually added another 1/4 qt. from a 1 qt. bottle, as I don't want to overfill. I'm not sure if 5.5 is coming out when I lift up only the front of the vehicle.

I once topped off my Maxima, and realized it was on a slope earlier that day, so now I've got more than 1/2 qt. too much. I did some research online to make myself feel better, and although most say there has to be some tolerance for overfills, a UK garage stated how the oil would begin to foam, protection would be lost, and the motor would seize. I know this is extreme, but I got out to my driveway at midnight, and using an LED light I drained off the 1/2 qt. that I stupidly added...

Let's face it, car dealers are so sloppy and inaccurate, and they do whatever. They may come back and say hey, as advertised, an oil change is $89, we wrote it up at $84....this was my experience. My brake flush was $59 when they quoted me $100+, the inaccuracy was to my benefit, but still indicates sloppiness at a Lexus dealership...
Old 06-30-17, 06:36 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I always put 1/4 to 1/2 qt. shy of the capacity with filter. In the LS, I would do 5 since the jug is 5. Then, I actually added another 1/4 qt. from a 1 qt. bottle, as I don't want to overfill. I'm not sure if 5.5 is coming out when I lift up only the front of the vehicle.

I once topped off my Maxima, and realized it was on a slope earlier that day, so now I've got more than 1/2 qt. too much. I did some research online to make myself feel better, and although most say there has to be some tolerance for overfills, a UK garage stated how the oil would begin to foam, protection would be lost, and the motor would seize. I know this is extreme, but I got out to my driveway at midnight, and using an LED light I drained off the 1/2 qt. that I stupidly added...

Let's face it, car dealers are so sloppy and inaccurate, and they do whatever. They may come back and say hey, as advertised, an oil change is $89, we wrote it up at $84....this was my experience. My brake flush was $59 when they quoted me $100+, the inaccuracy was to my benefit, but still indicates sloppiness at a Lexus dealership...

Regardless of how much oil drains out I think it is best to refill so that dipstick reads full. The dipstick shows low and full lines. I think the manual says 1.6 quarts US required to take it from low line to full line.
Old 06-30-17, 08:36 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Question different capacities for different years within the 2004-2006!?

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Here's the oil capacity spec on page 368 from a 2006 LS430 owners manual. Looks like 4.8 quarts US engine capacity and 5.4 quarts US with filter change.

Other model year LS 430 manuals may have a different spec listed so check your own manual.

Last couple of years I have been using a slightly oversize filter on mine so I typically add a little more than spec'd - about 5.7 quarts US.

Knew I wasn't crazy, but I'm sure some of you thought otherwise. Unlike your page 368, on my 2005 owner's manual, they talk about "starting and driving" and also shows info on the ABS idiot light.

On my page 445, it shows the specifications of the "Lubrication System" and it states oil capacity with filter is 4.5L (4.8qts, 4.0 imp qts) Also, on the very last page (the inside of the back cover page) it's labeled as "Gas Station Information" , it repeats what page 445 said....oil capacity with filter is 4.5L (4.8qts, 4.0 imp qts) All the pics attached are from my 2005 manual.

Never in a million years would I have imagined different years of the same engine would have different oil capacities!? Maybe OP really DOES need 9qts to fill it?

Anyway------as you said, follow your specific owner's manual for best results! I'm sticking to slamming 5qts of dino in there on my attempted 3 month or 3k miles interval! (And on my dipstick it reads ON the top dot)
Attached Thumbnails Nine Quarts of Oil-img_3770.png   Nine Quarts of Oil-img_3772.jpg   Nine Quarts of Oil-img_3773.jpg  

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 07-01-17 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-01-17, 04:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

question OP, did you check the oil level, it's doubtful they overfilled with 9 qts., but curious if the level is correct.

On this topic, my idiot light has started to chime every time I start the car again, I thought I just did the oil recently. Since I punch 5000 manually into the info section, I have 5xx miles to go to 5k again. I'm resolved to wait for 6,500. Unscientific, but reading all the threads on this topic, I feel that full synth is ok to 6,500 and won't do any harm. My wife's has the OLM and it's varied from 3700 to 7100 throughout its life, depending on conditions. My routine does include highway and I go at least 50 miles a day, so the car does fully warm up. When my wife's car wanted 3,700 (several times), she was only driving 2 miles to work and the car never warmed up.....my .02
Old 07-01-17, 04:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

ps checked my owner's manual and it states 5.4 qt with filter, and that the dipstick is 1.6 qt (that's a big range meaning my doing things 1/4 qt. at a time is overkill--if you were at 1/2, and used a full qt, you'd be over by .2).

The other thing I notice as with many cars, one side of the dipstick clearly shows a level, and the other side is smeared and higher. I use the inside surface of the dipstick. Again, the control, is when an oil change is done and 5 qts. go in. Assuming not everything came out, it still should be in the full ballpark, and last time, I added a little to the 5 qt jug after having completed the change, it was < 1/2 qt. out of a single qt container.

From memory? I think I even let the car sit overnight, and it was about 3/4 up the dipstick with only the 5 qt. jug. This implies it needed 1/4 of 1.6 to get to full. Uncanny, that would be .4, bringing the total to 5.4. So maybe I did get almost everything out--I started to jack both sides of the front with 2 floor jacks, since I don't have ramps...and I always place a jackstand such that if the jack failed, it would land on the stand, which is on the driver side unibody...because I am in a 1/4 qt at a time mentality, pretty sure I added about 1/3, when 1/4 didn't bring it to full....so I likely did 5.33 which made it full. This now means my 3/4 dipstick is imprecise, likely an "eyeball"

Last edited by Johnhav430; 07-01-17 at 04:52 AM. Reason: 3/4
Old 07-02-17, 08:20 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

My 2 have never used oil, I am content with 5 quarts from the Wally world jugs.
Old 07-02-17, 01:26 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

My understanding is that the LS 460 uses 9 quarts of oil. I suspect it was just a simple mistake and somewhere along the line a dealership employee mistakenly confused the 430 and the 460. Disappointing but it happens.
Old 07-02-17, 01:33 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnhav430

The other thing I notice as with many cars, one side of the dipstick clearly shows a level, and the other side is smeared and higher. I use the inside surface of the dipstick.
Agree with you 100%, however which is the "inside" of the dipstick vs outside? lol!

I always use the side that is fully 'wet' of oil on the dipstick as the accurate measuring "side". Like you said, one side will have schmears & spots, and another side should have a fully wet side from the tip of the dipstick to the hollowed out circle.

Another pointer, no pun intended, is to hold the dipstick DOWN while reading it--meaning the pull ring is higher than the tip of the dipstick. If you're holding the stick horizontal or pull ring lower than the tip of the stick, the oil will run and give you a incorrect level. Simple things to do, but many people wouldn't think twice about holding the pull ring lower than the tip, and bringing the stick up to their eyes while wearing their 'reader' corrective glasses or whatever the case may be. I know, I know, very inconsequential item we're talking about, but it's all about proper techniques whether it's reading the dipstick or tightening hardware/lug nuts or whatever the case may be.

Did we ever hear the resolution from the OP and the 9qts of oil?

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 07-02-17 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-02-17, 01:37 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

BTW----I'm surprised nobody is commenting on the varying amounts of oil capacities the 04-06's call for in the owner's manual! That is very strange to me! (both the varying amounts of oil, and the fact that nobody's on here has commented on the 4.8 qts w/filter a 2005 book calls for versus the 5.4 qts w/filter a 2006 book calls for)
Old 07-03-17, 09:45 AM
JJLS430
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We recently purchased our 2006 Modern Luxury and it was overfilled by at least 1/2 a quart upon delivery from a Lexus Dealer, which had performed an oil filter change as part of the reconditioning process.
Old 07-09-17, 08:53 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

So we've learned a 2005 oil+ filter calls for 4.8qts, while the 2006 calls for 5.4qts during oil+filter change. Can someone post how much the manual states oil+filter is on a 2004?

Also curious on what the status/resolution is with the OP and the 9qts debacle? I didn't see the year of the OP's LS posted either.

(edit) just creeped on OP's "About Me" page and he lists a 2005, so the dealership charged & potentially dumped in 2x the proper amount of oil, where they should have only used 4.8qts.

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 07-09-17 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-10-17, 05:09 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JJLS430
We recently purchased our 2006 Modern Luxury and it was overfilled by at least 1/2 a quart upon delivery from a Lexus Dealer, which had performed an oil filter change as part of the reconditioning process.
Again, I'd rather be underfilled, but in the range, than over the max. Which is why I simply do the 5 qt jug, make sure it's not low, and just check it a couple of times over the coming week--usually do not top off.

I honestly don't have much confidence in Lexus dealerships, esp. after seeing two used ones at Lexus dealers, and bringing my own '06 in on two occasions. This is why I DIY on all of our cars--how often do you think (rhetorical) they charge for synth, but put dino juice in, when a car does not "require" synth and the owner wants it? I'd like to think people are not bad people, it's just the system (doesn't reward $$$ for good work, more for more jobs), so rather than get upset, DIY.
Old 07-10-17, 07:53 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
So we've learned a 2005 oil+ filter calls for 4.8qts, while the 2006 calls for 5.4qts during oil+filter change. Can someone post how much the manual states oil+filter is on a 2004?

Also curious on what the status/resolution is with the OP and the 9qts debacle? I didn't see the year of the OP's LS posted either.

(edit) just creeped on OP's "About Me" page and he lists a 2005, so the dealership charged & potentially dumped in 2x the proper amount of oil, where they should have only used 4.8qts.
The 2004 manual calls for the same as the 2006 manual, 5.4 its for oil+filter change. I think you can discount any idea that the 2005 is any different.
Old 07-11-17, 09:33 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

Those prices are outrageous!

I used to bring my own oil and filter to the dealership and just pay the $16 labor fee to change the oil. It's crazy how much they charge for oil changes.
Old 07-11-17, 10:42 AM
imdking
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
Those prices are outrageous!

I used to bring my own oil and filter to the dealership and just pay the $16 labor fee to change the oil. It's crazy how much they charge for oil changes.
I didn't know that any dealership would allow that!

Quick Reply: Nine Quarts of Oil