LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Double DIN / Apple Carplay Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-18, 04:41 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 744 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430Lexus
Beautiful. Nice job on the install, looks great. Thank you for the pictures of the process and the installation tips. One question, does your back-up camera project a rectangular outline?
No outline. I looked at a different camera that had them, but the plug was huge. This camera is Ok, but due to the angle, it's not extremely precise. When I back up into my garage, it looks like I'm right against the wall on the camera but in actuality I still have some room. Camera was only $50 so not too concerned about it.
Old 06-04-18, 06:54 AM
unagijimbo
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
OK, I am interested in replacing the Nav system because there are no new maps after 2016.
If you have an 04-06 you should look into the Grom VLine. There are some mixed reviews, but as far as our cars go and the software for the older models, it integrates and works very well (with a few quirks).

It really freshened up my 05 and gives you the functionality of an android system on the factory nav. Bonus points if you are an iPhone user bc it has CarPlay.
The following users liked this post:
jimisbell (06-06-18)
Old 06-06-18, 11:54 AM
rich30769
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by unagijimbo
If you have an 04-06 you should look into the Grom VLine. There are some mixed reviews, but as far as our cars go and the software for the older models, it integrates and works very well (with a few quirks).

It really freshened up my 05 and gives you the functionality of an android system on the factory nav. Bonus points if you are an iPhone user bc it has CarPlay.
Can you post a few pictures of what it looks like? I definitely am interested in this. Also, I see that it originally was running 5.1, was you able to update the OS?

Last edited by rich30769; 06-06-18 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-06-18, 12:23 PM
unagijimbo
Rookie

During the install

CarPlay

Waze

I seldom use it for anything outside of CarPlay and Waze. I don't know if the the VL1 will be able to upgrade to 7.1. The only minor bummer is I am not able to get Google Maps to work properly (unless I download the maps and use it in offline mode). I have managed without Google Maps and am happy to hear it will be compatible with CarPlay in the next update. The VL is a great upgrade and was worth the presale price I paid, and if you have the means and a little patience to get to know the few quirks, it is worth the current retail price, IMO.
Old 06-06-18, 12:32 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 110 Posts

quirks? Mixed reviews? Where can I see these? You have one installed, how long did it take and how much disassembly does it take? I have an android phone will it make calls and work thru this. The factory implementation was not very good.

There are many other functions that the factory unit implements with the buttons on the sides, do all these still work as intended?

Last edited by jimisbell; 06-06-18 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-06-18, 12:46 PM
unagijimbo
Rookie

quirks? Missed reviews? Where can I see these? You have one installed, how long did it take and how much disassembly does it take? I have an android phone will ir make calls and work thru this. The factory implementation was not very good.
The backup camera does not always come on when starting the car if you don't give the VL a few seconds to register. Sometimes if a parking sensor is going off before the VL boots up it displays a blank screen, and the fix I found is to put it in reverse for a second, then back to drive which brings back the VL interface. Just a few minor inconveniences like that, but nothing that I have not learned to live with.

The main thread is here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rom-vline.html

The install took me a few hours one afternoon. I had no experience doing this sort of thing, but I do have some tech savvy. I literally watched a few videos on YouTube on how to take out the center stack and nav screen and felt comfortable doing it myself.

I know you can sideload Android Auto and might be able to make calls that way, but do not think the VL itself can do that. I know the reviews have not been as good for those using Android bc CarPlay is the main attraction IMO.

Last edited by unagijimbo; 06-06-18 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-06-18, 01:41 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

OK,I have been reading the threads and everyone seems to be fixated on the audio and streaming. I use my car for utility and not entertainment. Rarely use the radio. So my interest is in preserving the original functions that use the touch screen, GPS, backup camera, etc. I could care less about the entertainment functions. And I want updated maps. Can I revert back to the maps in the trunk if I loose signal. I really dont like using the internet if it means when I go west I loose my GPS/
Old 06-06-18, 01:47 PM
unagijimbo
Rookie

OK,I have been reading the threads and everyone seems to be fixated on the audio and streaming. I use my car for utility and not entertainment. Rarely use the radio. So my interest is in preserving the original functions that use the touch screen, GPS, backup camera, etc. I could care less about the entertainment functions. And I want updated maps. Can I revert back to the maps in the trunk if I loose signal. I really dont like using the internet if it means when I go west I loose my GPS/
Everything stock stays in tact. Factory nav remains unaffected and you can switch back and forth as you please. You can still use the car's bluetooth if you like. You can download certain areas in google maps for offline use if you are in the boonies, there are also several other GPS apps that work offline and have good reviews. However, I only use Waze and Apple Maps.
The following users liked this post:
jimisbell (06-06-18)
Old 06-06-18, 01:48 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by imdking
Not sure it can be done. Too much tied to the factory nav. I've seen where people just add a single din pop up screen nav capable head unit in the slot where the cd player is, and just abandon the factory screen where it sits. You might have to try that, Jim.
You are kidding ,,,right?
Old 06-06-18, 01:57 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Everything stock stays in tact. Factory nav remains unaffected and you can switch back and forth as you please. You can still use the car's bluetooth if you like. You can download certain areas in google maps for offline use if you are in the boonies, there are also several other GPS apps that work offline and have good reviews. However, I only use Waze and Apple Maps.
OK, that sounds good if I can just switch back to factory nav on the fly. My only complaint with factory nav is the lack of new maps since 2016. Otherwise I like the Factory system.
Old 06-07-18, 06:31 AM
unagijimbo
Rookie

OK, that sounds good if I can just switch back to factory nav on the fly. My only complaint with factory nav is the lack of new maps since 2016. Otherwise I like the Factory system.
The problem I have with the factory system is the tech and maps feel ancient, but the VL brings it right back up to speed with any infotainment system out there today without having to gut the factory system/components.
Old 06-07-18, 02:59 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

The problem I have with the factory system is the tech and maps feel ancient, but the VL brings it right back up to speed with any infotainment system out there today without having to gut the factory system/components.
Yes, that last statement, "without having to gut the factory system/components" Is why I am looking at this. I dont want it to look like a kluge.

Can you switch back and forth using on screen buttons or how does it work?

Last edited by jimisbell; 06-07-18 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-08-18, 06:48 AM
unagijimbo
Rookie

Can you switch back and forth using on screen buttons or how does it work?
You would just change the audio source from CD2. So either power off the radio, or change the audio source to FM/CD1/AM/TAPE etc. If you want to use factory nav you cannot use the VL, though. This has never been an issue for me.
Old 06-11-18, 07:56 AM
imdking
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

OK, I am interested in replacing the Nav system because there are no new maps after 2016.
Again, replacing the nav system cannot be done. People add the grom, VL and other modules to expand the nav system, and still use the factory nav screen.

Are YOU kidding? Replacing the factory nav system..... When the screen dies, the solution will be to either get another factory screen, or add a pop-up screen. The latter will be the better option.
Old 06-11-18, 07:25 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by imdking
Again, replacing the nav system cannot be done. People add the grom, VL and other modules to expand the nav system, and still use the factory nav screen.

Are YOU kidding? Replacing the factory nav system..... When the screen dies, the solution will be to either get another factory screen, or add a pop-up screen. The latter will be the better option.
There is no such word as "cannot". The words you are looking for are "will not". You can put a quart of **** in a pint jar if you want to bad enough,

Quick Reply: Double DIN / Apple Carplay Install