Clean appearing '05 Sport edition...opinions on price

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-17, 01:46 PM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
good review. I really noticed no negatives
I can't think of any negatives at all after having owned two of these sports. Unless you want a rolling mattress, why wouldn't you want a sport suspension model or beef up the standard suspension in your non-sport to the sport mode? You approach the curves with much more confidence and the car stays flat and level. I don't think any of us are pushing these cars to their limits. That's not what they were designed for and certainly not why we bought them but the sport mode simply allows you to take evasive action much more confidently. The Lexus smoothness is still there but when you need to "move" quickly, it does it effortlessly.
I think I mentioned in a previous thread somewhere that I did take my '05 to a local Autocross and ran against a Mercedes S430 (the announcer called it the "Chauffered Division") and beat the Merc handily. I took the traction control off (didn't want the lag) and only ran it in 1st and 2nd. It did a few slides when pushed too hard but I blame that not only on my driving but the fact that I was running Michelin Primacy's and not Pilots. Those Pilots came with the Sport version and do make a difference.
Old 07-02-17, 03:53 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LSGarry
I can't think of any negatives at all after having owned two of these sports. Unless you want a rolling mattress, why wouldn't you want a sport suspension model or beef up the standard suspension in your non-sport to the sport mode? You approach the curves with much more confidence and the car stays flat and level. I don't think any of us are pushing these cars to their limits. That's not what they were designed for and certainly not why we bought them but the sport mode simply allows you to take evasive action much more confidently. The Lexus smoothness is still there but when you need to "move" quickly, it does it effortlessly.
I think I mentioned in a previous thread somewhere that I did take my '05 to a local Autocross and ran against a Mercedes S430 (the announcer called it the "Chauffered Division") and beat the Merc handily. I took the traction control off (didn't want the lag) and only ran it in 1st and 2nd. It did a few slides when pushed too hard but I blame that not only on my driving but the fact that I was running Michelin Primacy's and not Pilots. Those Pilots came with the Sport version and do make a difference.
The stock suspension works very well for people who drive lots of miles and and/or who want the ultra luxury ride. Nothing wrong with that. I drove an 01 Base for 3 years. Floating down the road is a unique driving experience. One finger steering while driving a big car. However when I test drove a Sport......

You nailed it. Flat and level but still Lex smooth. It really is a great blend of comfort and performance. I'm coming off freeways and around corners w/o braking. The car just gets the job done. Still ultra quiet and comfortable in cruise mode.

Perfect description; "if you need to move quickly, it does it effortlessly". It saved me from the drug addict moron that tried to hit the side of my car (at 75 mph). It also works perfectly if you push the speed limit a little. Steering input slows down. It feels "nailed to the road".

Autocrossing on Primacy's? LOL was there any tread left when you were finished? I'm looking forward to trying Pilots. Not ready for Autocross just yet tho It's still a big luxury car.
Old 07-03-17, 03:18 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

How did ya know he was a "drug addict moron" if he DIDN'T hit ya, just wondering heard it is epidemic.
Old 07-03-17, 10:32 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by warminwisc
How did ya know he was a "drug addict moron" if he DIDN'T hit ya, just wondering heard it is epidemic.
He was either drugged out or totally drunk. Literally weaving across multiple lanes. When the all the cars slow down and drop back, people are worried. I should have seen that sooner but I'd just bought the car so not quite so attentive. I didn't get hit (barely) because I moved next lane. He flipped me off then continued down the road using all the lanes. We do get this out here. Back east (MA) not so many really out of control people (on freeways) and metropolitan speeds are rational. CA? regularly see 90mph because no radar control (other than speed traps).
Old 07-03-17, 11:28 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Seems like a high price for the miles, but then again every local car market is different. If this really was "never driven in the winter" and there isn't a spec of rust on it, it might be priced right according to the local market. Then again if you can find the same car in south Florida for 4-7k cheaper in similar shape, it might just make sense to fly down and drive it up. I know a local dealer who has a contact in Ohio, he mainly buys clean, rust free southern trucks(mostly pre emissions diesel trucks) and drives them up to his dealer buddy in Ohio, they split the profits.
Old 07-04-17, 05:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
He was either drugged out or totally drunk. Literally weaving across multiple lanes. When the all the cars slow down and drop back, people are worried. I should have seen that sooner but I'd just bought the car so not quite so attentive. I didn't get hit (barely) because I moved next lane. He flipped me off then continued down the road using all the lanes. We do get this out here. Back east (MA) not so many really out of control people (on freeways) and metropolitan speeds are rational. CA? regularly see 90mph because no radar control (other than speed traps).
MA is the most aggressive driving I have personally experienced, and that's since learning to drive. There's a real edge to it. Second I would have to had to the DC/VA/MD area. These two areas have so called "intelligent" aggressive driving, where the aggression is calculated, not blind. NYC is less aggressive, but also a little mindless, maybe someone out there knows what I mean. In Boston, a crazy maneuver was a risk/reward decision, where as in NYC, it's just go. But I'd choose the latter. I woulda thought CA enforces regulations. When I've been in SoCal, I don't see the craziness of the East, my .02.

Again many might not agree on a car this old, but I think one should only consider southern cars, due to rust. It's less convenient if you live somewhere that salts the roads, of course, but these cars are minimum 11 y.o. already, so why not remove that many years of corrosion
Old 07-04-17, 10:31 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
MA is the most aggressive driving I have personally experienced, and that's since learning to drive. There's a real edge to it. Second I would have to had to the DC/VA/MD area. These two areas have so called "intelligent" aggressive driving, where the aggression is calculated, not blind. NYC is less aggressive, but also a little mindless, maybe someone out there knows what I mean. In Boston, a crazy maneuver was a risk/reward decision, where as in NYC, it's just go. But I'd choose the latter. I woulda thought CA enforces regulations. When I've been in SoCal, I don't see the craziness of the East, my .02.

Again many might not agree on a car this old, but I think one should only consider southern cars, due to rust. It's less convenient if you live somewhere that salts the roads, of course, but these cars are minimum 11 y.o. already, so why not remove that many years of corrosion
MA quote based on rational speed on freeways. Anything on Boston (or nearby towns) is like a video game w/ cars as weapons. Some roads were originally narrow winding horse trails. With a 5 way intersection and no stop (or any kind) signs, there are no rules. NorCal has too many cars and not enough road space. Most drivers are reasonably polite but the 90-100 mph folks make me want to take the train or stay home. One of the many reasons I drive an LS is safety. Better odds when the "freeway flier" is driving an old Camry or Honda. Most of the truly hi perf car drivers seem to keep it under control.

From what I read in here, sounds like an LS is prone to rust in specific places. Agree w/ John on southern if you have the option. Driving a heavy RWD car in the snow (even w traction control) has got to be interesting.
Old 07-04-17, 11:20 AM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
MA quote based on rational speed on freeways. Anything on Boston (or nearby towns) is like a video game w/ cars as weapons. Some roads were originally narrow winding horse trails. With a 5 way intersection and no stop (or any kind) signs, there are no rules. NorCal has too many cars and not enough road space. Most drivers are reasonably polite but the 90-100 mph folks make me want to take the train or stay home. One of the many reasons I drive an LS is safety. Better odds when the "freeway flier" is driving an old Camry or Honda. Most of the truly hi perf car drivers seem to keep it under control.

From what I read in here, sounds like an LS is prone to rust in specific places. Agree w/ John on southern if you have the option. Driving a heavy RWD car in the snow (even w traction control) has got to be interesting.
I would not buy a 2004-2006 that has been on the road up here for all those winters.

Perhaps the current owner of (4) LS430's 'Tom57' will chime in. He said his does great in the snow.

I'm about to move on from a LS400 and with 4 snows, it is fine in the lake effect snow we get right off Lake Ontario between Buffalo-Rochester.
Old 07-04-17, 01:23 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Most aggressive drivers I've seen were in Manhattan. Although I do dig their philosophy of treating that green light like a christmas tree at the drag strip. People around here **** me off at green lights. Green=GO!!!! Don't be looking down at your phone, don't pull off like you are a 92 year old grandma, green means put your foot into it, so that poor sod who is 15 cars back has a fair chance of catching the light.

Drivers in Chicago weren't really aggressive, but drove way too fast for the conditions IMO. 55mph limit on the old decrepited interstate with no shoulders, going towards downtown, everybody is doing 80-85. Lakeshore drive, big 6-7 lane road with a few stop lights and roads turning into it, posted limit of 45, everybody is doing 60-70.
Old 07-04-17, 03:11 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Again, overpriced, $10k is a good ballpark if everything were up to snuff, but again, for a car this age, if it were me, FLA, etc., not Buffalo. I've not seen one myself, but if you search the forum, there are rust problems on LS430s.
Well if you search harder you will find those rust issues are primarily on the door trim of the 01-03 models. I have yet to see any of that on an 04-06. Like anything, you need to do your own vetting and consider the condition of the car that you are interested in. It's not that unusual for Northern cars to be unused during the winter time. When I first started looking at LS's I came across a local guy selling his 98 LS400 that was in primo condition. He was a snow-bird that went down to Arizona every winter and left his LS in the garage. I would have picked up that one but someone beat me to the punch...
The following users liked this post:
wnyjazz (07-04-17)
Old 07-04-17, 08:48 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Default Rusty or LS Trusty

My first LS I got in 08 it was an 04 premium for 17k$ from a small dealer in Chicago who got it from the auction with 55k miles(I was the first one to see it on autotrader). I called the guy who owned it as the dealer had all receipts in glove box. Previous owner lived in Michigan drove to Palm Springs it had never seem snow. The Chrome rims corroded and a leveling sensor rusted but never saw any rust besides the wheels nor had any real complains about rusted brake parts etc when in for repairs.
Next one I got 4 years ago from a small local dealer in Wisconsin 62 k miles dealer took mine in trade. I called the owner he wintered in texas owned a lakefront home in Wisconsin in the summer. It is going strong think I need some suspension work, no rust to date.
I don't see alot if any rust on LS's in my area of WI. I assume most I check out bought sold in Wisconsin. Sure a southern car is best but they get alot of sun and heat and a snowird car you get salt free winters and easier summers not as much dry rot on plastics bushings leather etc.

Don't get me wrong a southern garaged wife's LS who doesn't work I assume is the best. Groceries lunches with the gals, dates with grandkids etc.
Old 07-04-17, 08:54 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I see anything NY, Boston,Jersey even south of me as close as it is Chicago I pass, possible rust mostly hard miles. Roads traffic are just too hard on most cars. I drive rental cars from out east they get pounded by the roads. The Michigan car was from Grand Rapids, Texas car not sure.
Old 07-05-17, 05:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Most aggressive drivers I've seen were in Manhattan. Although I do dig their philosophy of treating that green light like a christmas tree at the drag strip. People around here **** me off at green lights. Green=GO!!!! Don't be looking down at your phone, don't pull off like you are a 92 year old grandma, green means put your foot into it, so that poor sod who is 15 cars back has a fair chance of catching the light.

Drivers in Chicago weren't really aggressive, but drove way too fast for the conditions IMO. 55mph limit on the old decrepited interstate with no shoulders, going towards downtown, everybody is doing 80-85. Lakeshore drive, big 6-7 lane road with a few stop lights and roads turning into it, posted limit of 45, everybody is doing 60-70.
You know what's an oddity, I'm a transplant to PA but let's face it, have been here more than 40% of my life (OUCH!!). Note to self: Not a spring chicken.

Anyway, I remember thinking, hmmmm....."NO TURN ON RED." (btw when I moved here, there were still abandoned cars on the streets for 2 more years, and lots of panhandling and some prostitution--all gone) But, the street is only one way, going from my right, to left. Turning right would be going the wrong way. I thought about it some more, then, concluded, oh, this is the same as going to college in NYS, there is left on red.

Two things blow my mind here. People do not turn left on red, when it's a one-way to one-way, and I assume, they are not transplants like me, so they should know. The second is the *()&*()@!#&$*(@)#$&@#*($& people who come to a complete stop on a full-on green light, let it turn yellow, then red, because they felt they would not be able to complete a left turn on green. I'm not talking about at a red light camera intersection, where you still should be doing this--proceed into the intersection on green, complete your turn after traffic clears, even if on yellow or red.

edit Back on topic, while I would like sport, it's just like analine leather--nice to have. I could be wrong, but this car autocrossing is like a dog trying to hunt without any sense of smell.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 07-05-17 at 05:06 AM.
Old 07-05-17, 10:56 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"Back on topic, while I would like sport, it's just like analine leather--nice to have. I could be wrong, but this car autocrossing is like a dog trying to hunt without any sense of smell. "

Well it's one of those "you had to be there" moments for the autocross. You weren't there so you have no clue as to what transpired so to fill you in....a good friend who used to own a '99 LS recently sold it and got a Mercedes S 430. Well you can imagine the ribbing that we gave each other about our respective cars. This went on for awhile until he challenged me to put my money where my mouth was (steak dinner) and go head to head on an autocross so game on my friend. So I pumped up the tires to 40 psi, ran the tank down to 1/8, put the obligatory helmet on, had the picture taken and off we went. I would have conceded if I had the standard suspension LS but if you haven't driven a sport model than you don't know what these cars are actually capable of and I felt this car would be up to the challenge. So after 4 runs, some "oh s*%t" moments and a lot of grins, he conceded and we had our steak dinner that he paid for. I not only learned a lot about my car that day but also how to be a better driver and I'd do it again in a heart beat.
wnyjazz (07-05-17)
Old 07-05-17, 11:11 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by LSGarry
"Back on topic, while I would like sport, it's just like analine leather--nice to have. I could be wrong, but this car autocrossing is like a dog trying to hunt without any sense of smell. "

Well it's one of those "you had to be there" moments for the autocross. You weren't there so you have no clue as to what transpired so to fill you in....a good friend who used to own a '99 LS recently sold it and got a Mercedes S 430. Well you can imagine the ribbing that we gave each other about our respective cars. This went on for awhile until he challenged me to put my money where my mouth was (steak dinner) and go head to head on an autocross so game on my friend. So I pumped up the tires to 40 psi, ran the tank down to 1/8, put the obligatory helmet on, had the picture taken and off we went. I would have conceded if I had the standard suspension LS but if you haven't driven a sport model than you don't know what these cars are actually capable of and I felt this car would be up to the challenge. So after 4 runs, some "oh s*%t" moments and a lot of grins, he conceded and we had our steak dinner that he paid for. I not only learned a lot about my car that day but also how to be a better driver and I'd do it again in a heart beat.
LS400 > S 430 probably equally soft. A standard 430 suspension? No way. Sport? Yes can see it's possible. Are sure the Lex vs MBZ conversations were entertaining! Congrats on the steak dinner
LSGarry (07-05-17)

Quick Reply: Clean appearing '05 Sport edition...opinions on price