15.05%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus LS430 vs. Mercedes Sclass vs. BMW 745

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-03, 08:02 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would chose a S-Class tuned by Brabus. They can put TV, Fax, Phone, Computer and anything you want. The present S-Class is my favorite Luxury Sedan and a tuned one just beats them all.
Old 07-04-03, 10:03 PM
DL_C32
Driver School Candidate

Default If...

If I'm going to keep my car for long long time, Lexus will be my choice.
If I got a lot of $, S-class will be my choice.
If I like the ugliest car for the price, 745iL will be my choice.
Cheers,
Old 07-06-03, 06:13 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts
Default Re: Re: Lexus LS430 vs. Mercedes Sclass vs. BMW 745

Originally posted by ychachad
The electric smoothness of the LS400, and its legendary reliability still cannot match the solidity, grace and magic of a three-pointed starred MB S-class. Trust me.
Your comparing it to the old body S-Class. W220 (The newer ones) are a dime a dozen. No grace and magic present.

I would chose a S-Class tuned by Brabus. They can put TV, Fax, Phone, Computer and anything you want. The present S-Class is my favorite Luxury Sedan and a tuned one just beats them all.
Big name wins all eh?

If I got a S-Class a chip from RENNtech would be my first and proably last preformance mod. Interior mods such as A/V and stuff can be done anywhere by anything. Heck even a Honda can have it.
Old 07-06-03, 07:25 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

But Brabus makes the accessories really look good in the interior. No Honda could look that good. The also replace the leather.
Old 07-08-03, 04:06 PM
BLexACK LS
Lead Lap

Talking

hey I like all three, But I would kill for a 760 BMW. Anyone else looking forward to this baby?
Old 07-11-03, 10:18 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

LS430 can be a very beautiful car with a little mods. Rims alone would make LS very aggressive. LS430 interior is vastly superior than these competition mentioned. 745i is a electronic disaster while S class's navigation is a joke compared to Lexus DVD nav. UL package takes the LS430 to the next level, while still cost less than S430/745i. Look wised, MB is again the leading of the three, but simply not worth the price tag. With BMW 745i you are more likely to spend more time in shop than on the road.

LS430 for me.
Old 07-18-03, 02:52 PM
ToddLS400
Driver School Candidate

Why create a poll in a Lexus only forum? Of course the Lexus will get top votes...

Anyway, I like the S Class better only if I could afford it. That's a big factor like it is for most. Nothing beats the respect and history of a Mercedes. Mercedes = legacy, quality and refinement. So does Lexus (less legacy) but you must remember that Lexus has only been around for 13 years (Toyota for much longer). I know Lexus is a much better value than Mercedes or BMW. Give Lexus a few more years (15 maybe?) to establish itself. Look at Infinity (Nissan). That's a good class of cars but it 's coming in a distant 3rd to Acura in the Japenese luxury market. On the other end I believe Lexus has a huge lead on Acura. Japenese reliability and build quality is awesome and the Lexus is paramount. Most luxury Acura vehicles remind me of a fully optioned Accord, which isn't bad. But they don't give me the Mercedes or BMW feel like a LS series Lexus does.

If Lexus keeps up their innovations and quality, they will be the top luxury car maker in the world some day.
Old 07-18-03, 07:28 PM
titanskj10
Rookie

well i dont think that Lexus should really be compared to Acura because still none of the Acura automoblies come with a 8cyl. soon they will make the Acura RL with a 8cly engine whick i think will be compared to the GS or maybe the LS the LS nad Acura are both the same size in length
Old 07-22-03, 09:09 PM
harris10101

in my opinion, if u fully load everything onto all these cars, id take any of them. The lexus has the most value in my opinion, and is the most reliable as well. But it sports some conservative styling, the looks of the S are very nice and the bmw as u all know is contraversial. The seats to the ls i love, because i dont think that in a luxury sedan they shud be hard like the bimmers, and the s class just dont fit me like the ls. i think the mark levi system ownz, even tho the other two are phenomenal.

It all comes down to preference, at this price range, every one of these cars delivers, its the details that u prefer that make all the difference
Old 07-22-03, 09:30 PM
harris10101

also with the price things, a LS is often compared to a S600 but there is a HUGE price gap, thats gotta say something. If a car is compared to something that is another 20-40 grand more, and sometimes does better then it, it means its a nice car. in my view anyway. On the issue of having an AMG over the s600, NO WAY, the 600 has the smooth v12 but gets the same performance as the amg, id take the 12 cyl anyday. But once again, in this price range, its all abt preference
Old 07-23-03, 09:47 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Acura will NEVER make anything larger than a V6. I have been to a few acura dealerships to get brochures and discuss the characteristics of each vehicle, when I said I dont really like any of the vehicles here more than my current SC400, primarily due to engine size, he responded with "Well, acura makes a 6 run like an 8." This is just not true, a 6 runs like a 6, an 8 runs like an 8. Granted, an Acura 3.5 V6 is better than a V8 found in a ford crown vic, or what not, but if you compare even a 2003 acura 3.5 engine with a 1990 lexus V8, the V8 has more torque, a flatter torque curve (which is CRITICAL for better response) and even more horsepower.

Ah yeah, so Acura = nothing bigger than 6 cylinders... still decent cars though. 3.2 TLs rock the house!
Old 07-23-03, 10:57 PM
LexFather

I think Acuras are cool but since the Legend, they do not make luxury cars.

LS 430 vs S430/500 or 745 goes to the LS 430
LS 430vs S600 or 760 goes to tehe S 600
LS 430 vs S55 or 760 goes to the S55

If the next GS absolutely is hideous, I may find a white/black leather LS 430 and go TOM's all the way. I find the interior to be perfect.
Old 07-24-03, 07:35 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

Well, I'd say the RL qualifies to be a luxury car... It has alot of features and good refinement, but seriously, $46,000 for a front wheel drive, V6 powered full size sedan? I think not. Spend the extra 8 grand at that point and get a nice LS430, or better yet get a low-mileage 98 or 99 LS400 and save about 15 thousand in the process.

The TL and CL only qualify as near-luxury though. Your right, none of acuras cars have as much impact as the legend did when it was new... The TL type S is the only thing that comes close.
Old 07-24-03, 05:54 PM
LexFather

When I was shopping for a new car for my mother, we took the RL home (we know the (GM). This is a lady who just wants a nice looking comfy car with loyalty to no brand. I could get a killer deal since, well, no one is buying them, 8k off list.

The inside was underwhelming, my 1992 ES 300 feels as good. My mom is 5"9. we could not squeeze our hands between the seat and the door to adjust the seat. The inside was small. The wood was okay but too glossy. The leather was okay. The trunk was HUGE though. Thecontrols look like they belong in an Accord. Fit and finish was solid.

Outside, she said it looks nice but nothing special at all (the LS may be bland but has Presence).

Overseas, it is called the Honda Legend and the Europeans bash the car so badly it is ridiculous. Reviews say to cross-shop the Maxima and Camry

Lexus is slowly winning Europe over with attention to detail and reliability. The LS 430 has been chosen by EVO as one of the top 100 cars. They said it is really the best car in the world, you can't ask for anything else. But man, they are a loyal lot, to Benz and BMW (their god).
Old 10-14-03, 05:45 AM
RajaReMax
Driver

Default LS430 vs. S500 vs. 745li-My comparison

A better comparison, due to price differences would've been the Lexus against the E500 & 540i... I compared all 3. All are priced out at around $60,000-$66,000 conservatively, not counting the UL versions.

The LS obviously has the most room and clearly the most luxurious of the 3. The best Nav & Stereo! With the new Sport suspension, its not as firm or has the worldclass handling as the BMW, but has at least lost the stodgy Caddy feel...All the new bells & whistles are more fun than anyone should be allowed to have while operating a motor vehicle...

The BMW has no match when it comes to handling. Interior refinements were a little on the cold side, but had the firm seats to hold you in...The dash didn't give me the feeling I was driving a $60G car at all. The iDrive system is sure to cause accidents. Why BMW allows you to work iDrive while in motion, but not allow you to watch movies, I don't know...not that I would... Interior also was much more cramped, not as much legroom, especially in the back. Still a very stylish car, the best in handling, for sure...

The Mercedes was exceptional in every possible way except room and dropdead style. Fabulous interior, although the seats are somewhat small in front. The design could've used more creative work by the MB design team, although the sport version looks sharp. The backseat is pretty tight.

My vote is for the LS for the $60-$66,000 price category. Comparing to the 7Series and S500 is not justified even if the LS is equipped with the UL package, because the power is not increased and cannot be equipped w/Sport package... 10 days and counting till my new Sport Edition Moonlight Pearl w/Ash, arrives.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS430 vs. Mercedes Sclass vs. BMW 745