LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Any good deals on tires right now?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-17, 03:54 PM
Yohimbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any good deals on tires right now?

Hi all,
I'm getting around to replacing the tires that were on the car when I bought it, since they're about 10 years old or so( yeah, I know). One of them went out this week with a leaking stem. Anybody come across any deals on good tires? Not looking for the cheapest, but a good quiet tire with decent wear characteristics. We don't get snow here, and not much rain either, so not looking for max weather handling. Oh, and I have the 18 inch wheels. TIA.

Last edited by Yohimbo; 07-12-17 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-12-17, 06:05 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Yohimbo
Hi all,
I'm getting around to replacing the tires that were on the car when I bought it, since they're about 10 years old or so( yeah, I know). One of them went out this week with a leaking stem. Anybody come across any deals on good tires? Not looking for the cheapest, but a good quiet tire with decent wear characteristics. We don't get snow here, and not much rain either, so not looking for max weather handling. Oh, and I have the 18 inch wheels. TIA.
If/when time comes for new shoes for my LS, I'm getting these. You're likely to receive lots of endorsements for Michelins, plus lots of others. Tire shopping is really subjective to what's 'good' for you.

I currently these on my gf's V6 Accord and they are quiet yet have great traction, they have a superb tread life guarantee (70k miles!) yet the compound is not hard like a rock, they 'look' great from the side and even a very pleasing to my eyes tread pattern, and to top it off, they currently have 2 promos with it. A $70 gift card, and also $30 credit if you use the house branded credit card.

Discount Tire Direct provides free shipping to anywhere you desire, and if you place your order on the phone while speaking with one of their super-awesome sales reps, you can ask they throw in the valve stems & chrome protective sleeves for free. (I'm all about saving a buck, but I'm ALSO all about promoting a company when they provide outstanding service with a low price!) Discount Tire Direct hits on all cylinders for me. They are ALWAYS doing whatever it takes to please their customers. I have no horse in the race, but simply will recommend them any opportunity I can when people are shopping tires.

20 years ago as a brand label only demanding teenager, I would have said Michelin's only! or Goodyears only! (not really, lol) or Pirelli's only! Not anymore. I've matured, and while you're typically going to get a more rounded tire (pun intended) with a big brand name, you're also going to pay big brand money. Cooper tires continue to impress me not only on cars, but also 4WD vehicles as well. Their tires are very highly rated. if you're able to look beyond the usual players in tires, there's many manufacturers that produce very good quality tires, and even made in the USA. (at least the set I purchased were USA made).

Here's the link to my one and only tire store with the Cooper's selected...... http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...=008705&cs=245
Old 07-13-17, 12:06 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

I just put on kuhmo ecsta Platinum lx today. They were about $95 a tire with a $70 rebate. All the reviews on tire rack were positive with the only complaint being that they are not for REAL spirited driving. I'll just have to see about that. They were $383 plus $44 to have them shipped to my preferred installer. Firestone mounted and balanced then for $62. I would never use Firestone for anything else but that's another story. I had 2 brand new Goodyear eagle sports in the front and the car rode real good with those tires but I didn't want to spend $400 for 2 new tires when I could get 4 for the same price. So I'll put the Goodyear in storage and if the kuhmo tires don't with out I'll just spend the money for the Goodyears when they wear out.
Old 07-13-17, 05:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

The easy way out is when the stars align for Costco. It will happen one month or the other, something like $70 instant rebate on Michelin. We go to DE so there is no sales tax. The credit card is offering 5% cash back. Now you do the math and compare to online, it comes out cheaper. But the stars can align for online as well, $70 rebate (usually a gift card), order online with a 2% cash back card, pick up at distribution center in DE, no tax, no shipping. But option 2 is still more than option 1. Option 1 is riding on the credit card doing a 5% warehouse club cash back. What I like about Costco is this feeling of not worrying about patching, rotation, blah blah blah. But I won't bring my BMW there as they are likely to lift vehicles improperly (can't have it all)....

Moral of the story is the rebate is step #1. NEVER BUY A SET OF 4 WITHOUT A REBATE, and it varies from month to month.

My experience with Kumho was the rebate took so long, I would avoid their tires going forward. One time Michelin was in about 18 days.

I still have a $50 "coupon" from the last Michelin purchase that's only good for Michelin, never expires. From what I can read on the fine print, it does not mention I have to buy 4 tires. Maybe I get a set of 4 through Costco, and use this $50 to get a "spare" online....these are my .02.....

note at the DE distribution center, I observed cars from NY and VA picking up tires....and when I got there the line was almost out the door and everyone was grumpy.....worth it? I guess so, then again, maybe it's a $60 to $100 savings, I'm sure some wouldn't be bothered....
Old 07-13-17, 09:14 AM
Dacubs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of getting the Michellin Premier A/s tires at discount tire price matching with walmart at $238 each tire. plus $70 rebate. Comes out to around $1k? Idk if its worth it
Old 07-13-17, 09:39 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
The easy way out is when the stars align for Costco. It will happen one month or the other, something like $70 instant rebate on Michelin. We go to DE so there is no sales tax. The credit card is offering 5% cash back. Now you do the math and compare to online, it comes out cheaper. But the stars can align for online as well, $70 rebate (usually a gift card), order online with a 2% cash back card, pick up at distribution center in DE, no tax, no shipping. But option 2 is still more than option 1. Option 1 is riding on the credit card doing a 5% warehouse club cash back. What I like about Costco is this feeling of not worrying about patching, rotation, blah blah blah. But I won't bring my BMW there as they are likely to lift vehicles improperly (can't have it all)....

Moral of the story is the rebate is step #1. NEVER BUY A SET OF 4 WITHOUT A REBATE, and it varies from month to month.

My experience with Kumho was the rebate took so long, I would avoid their tires going forward. One time Michelin was in about 18 days.

I still have a $50 "coupon" from the last Michelin purchase that's only good for Michelin, never expires. From what I can read on the fine print, it does not mention I have to buy 4 tires. Maybe I get a set of 4 through Costco, and use this $50 to get a "spare" online....these are my .02.....

note at the DE distribution center, I observed cars from NY and VA picking up tires....and when I got there the line was almost out the door and everyone was grumpy.....worth it? I guess so, then again, maybe it's a $60 to $100 savings, I'm sure some wouldn't be bothered....
This is my first experience with Kuhmo but right off the bat I can tell they are softer than the tires I had on the car. 2 Goodyear eagle sports in the front, left rear Michelin Pilot sport, right rear Bridgestone Potenza. Having 3 different tires on the car kind of bothered me when I bought the car so I knew that I would be buying tires.

Just so happens that the Michelin caught a flat on expressway in the pouring rain and I rode on it for a couple miles so that expedited my tire purchase. As far as the rebate I'll see how long that takes but tire racks policy is you have to wait to get a paper copy of the invoice in the mail before you can even fill the rebate form out online. That kind of annoyed me but I did order the tires on Friday and had them mounted by Wednesday. By the way I'm still waiting on those mobile 1 rebates!!!
Old 07-13-17, 10:52 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
This is my first experience with Kuhmo but right off the bat I can tell they are softer than the tires I had on the car. 2 Goodyear eagle sports in the front, left rear Michelin Pilot sport, right rear Bridgestone Potenza. Having 3 different tires on the car kind of bothered me when I bought the car so I knew that I would be buying tires.

Just so happens that the Michelin caught a flat on expressway in the pouring rain and I rode on it for a couple miles so that expedited my tire purchase. As far as the rebate I'll see how long that takes but tire racks policy is you have to wait to get a paper copy of the invoice in the mail before you can even fill the rebate form out online. That kind of annoyed me but I did order the tires on Friday and had them mounted by Wednesday. By the way I'm still waiting on those mobile 1 rebates!!!
I'm way out....just crusing on the tires that came with my car, the Rydanz--engineered in Europe, made in China--Roadster 02's! They're not bad hahahaha sold by Mavis is my guess.

If I had to buy this very instant, I'd go Pilot Sport AS3+'s. Not going to research anymore, that's the one. Probably Costco...

Rebates are funny. Mobil 1 took 7 weeks this time? It's come back in barely 12 days before. Also, GM gift cards for driving, about 12 days. I'm not joking, when a mfg. goes to do a rebate, I bet the co. doing it asks, you want instant, 2 mos., or lost for good?

p.s. had 3 sets of Kumhos on the Maxima, I don't mind them, it's the rebate that's a nightmare....