LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Loosing its mind!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-17 | 06:52 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Default Loosing its mind!!!

For some unknown reason my 04 LS-430 is loosing its mind.

Sometimes everything is fine others it doesnt do anything right. Recently the seat settings are not being held and returned when the car is started. Sometines they are. Sometimes the mirrors turn down when I put the car in reverse and dont come back when I shift to Drive. Today the drivers window slid part way up and then stopped. after about 30 seconds it started working again. Is it secretly drinking???
Old 08-02-17 | 07:03 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

when our cars battery is on its way out you get electrical gremlins.check your battery.
The following users liked this post:
jimisbell (08-02-17)
Old 08-05-17 | 01:09 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

I had the battery checked yesterday. Its like new, measured 599 CCA out of a new 600CCA thats within the instrument error. . So that is not the problem.
Old 08-07-17 | 04:42 AM
biacs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jimisbell
I had the battery checked yesterday. Its like new, measured 599 CCA out of a new 600CCA thats within the instrument error. . So that is not the problem.
So clearly its an electrical issue. Did all the cells test OK in the battery.

Are these issues happening intermittently or all the time?
How old is the battery?
Does this happen when its HOT? (get it tested then)

Point being last winter my wifes car needed a job 2 or 3 times randomly. Turns out a cell in the battery had finally conked out. It was under warranty. If this happens more and more, have it retested and see about a warrantly.

Even if the old battery costs to replace, you'd be replacing anyway. Maybe just a bit earlier than planned.
Old 08-07-17 | 06:32 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

I would still try and put a slow charger on your battery for a few days... At night if u are not able to during the day.
Old 08-07-17 | 07:25 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by biacs
So clearly its an electrical issue. Did all the cells test OK in the battery.

Are these issues happening intermittently or all the time?
How old is the battery?
Does this happen when its HOT? (get it tested then)

Point being last winter my wifes car needed a job 2 or 3 times randomly. Turns out a cell in the battery had finally conked out. It was under warranty. If this happens more and more, have it retested and see about a warrantly.

Even if the old battery costs to replace, you'd be replacing anyway. Maybe just a bit earlier than planned.
Just replaced a battery in our ES. New (highest quality) 6 mos ago. Suddenly had problems. Went dead, charged quickly, tested fine went dead again in a couple of hours. Got a free replacement. Zero problems since then. Even if yours tests ok, no guarantee there aren't any problems. Suggest replace.
Old 08-07-17 | 12:06 PM
911LE
Instructor

The starting power of a battery (cca's) is only one of it's jobs. Once the car is running the battery acts as a filter/buffer for voltage spikes. An alternators output isn't "smooth" constant voltage. This is why all power connections are made at the positive battery terminal and not the alternator itself. As a battery ages it loses its ability to filter out these spikes and then passes them on to the electrical system which is composed of sensitive electronics.
That said, your problems may be elsewhere. Are all the issues you are having (memory, window, and mirrors) all occurring on the same door? If so you may have a bad ground connection or a failing door ecm.
Old 08-10-17 | 06:27 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911LE
The starting power of a battery (cca's) is only one of it's jobs. Once the car is running the battery acts as a filter/buffer for voltage spikes. An alternators output isn't "smooth" constant voltage. This is why all power connections are made at the positive battery terminal and not the alternator itself. As a battery ages it loses its ability to filter out these spikes and then passes them on to the electrical system which is composed of sensitive electronics.
That said, your problems may be elsewhere. Are all the issues you are having (memory, window, and mirrors) all occurring on the same door? If so you may have a bad ground connection or a failing door ecm.
The mirrors on both doors seem affected. Of course the seat position and window are both on the driver door The battery is almost new.