LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Overheating quickly

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-17, 05:09 PM
terminater
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I filled the radiator and the reservoir before I left work. It took about 80% of the gallon jug. The car has not ran hot since.
i mentioned earlier I never smelled any coolant, now I think it might've been because there was not any in it!
when I got home and parked I let the car idle for a few minutes and it stil ran fine. After I went back to check when it was cooler I smell coolant this time. I noticed a very slight seepage Along the very top of the radiator. I think I will go ahead and replace it as well. Maybe the coolant has been evaporating/ leaking away slowly ever since the TB was replaced in 2013.
Old 08-07-17, 05:30 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Someone in here mentioned that there's a "towing" version of the radiator. If you're going to replace, not a bad to check it out. Good luck
Old 08-07-17, 06:18 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Btw everyone here recommends the denso with tow package, it's actually less expensive than the non tow, thicker core....rock auto has it.....

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...,radiator,2172
Old 08-07-17, 07:59 PM
terminater
Pit Crew

I have ordered the tow radiator from Amazon. Thanks everyone!
Old 08-23-17, 08:57 AM
terminater
Pit Crew

Default Problem Solved!

Just an update for everyone. I replaced the radiator, upper/lower hoses, and the thermostat. The car has not ran hot again! The old (original??) radiator was nasty!!
The following users liked this post:
HeavyHandz (05-29-21)
Old 08-23-17, 09:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Nice job! And darn! You got me thinking, I am pretty certain our evap coil for the house hvac needs to be cleaned, and I think it's recommended to pay a tech since it has to be dismantled to be accessed (I don't see anything at all that would reveal it, it's like it's behind duct work material above the furnace)....
Old 08-23-17, 12:54 PM
terminater
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Nice job! And darn! You got me thinking, I am pretty certain our evap coil for the house hvac needs to be cleaned, and I think it's recommended to pay a tech since it has to be dismantled to be accessed (I don't see anything at all that would reveal it, it's like it's behind duct work material above the furnace)....
Thanks! My first radiator job. It was not bad at all. I'm getting kind of handy at this mechanic thing.
Now that you've mentioned it. I have also been meaning to clean our homes evap coil. I already cleaned our outdoor coils about a month ago, but i'm sure the coil in the attic unit are dirty. I'm a DIYer, so i'll probably research a bit and clean them myself.
Old 08-23-17, 01:01 PM
bradland

Received 675 Likes on 551 Posts

Any fit issues with the slightly thicker "Tow Package" radiator ?
Old 08-23-17, 02:18 PM
terminater
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bradland
Any fit issues with the slightly thicker "Tow Package" radiator ?
Initially I was cursing the 'perfect fit' claims on the box, but of course, it ended up being my fault. I had installed the radiator and it was flopping around back and forth. I forgot to transfer over the rubber 'legs' from the old radiator.
The 'Tow Package' radiator fit just fine. I did have issues with the lower Gates hose I bought via Amazon - Part # 22674. I had to cut about 4" off of it in order for it to not rub against the drive belt.
Old 08-23-17, 02:37 PM
bradland

Be careful with those aftermarket hoses. Gates are quality products but those bends can be critical. About 10 years ago when my 99 LS400 was still fairly new to me the bolt on the PS pump pulley somehow ground a hole in the hose next to it. I've used Lexus/Toyota ever since.
Old 08-23-17, 02:46 PM
terminater
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bradland
Be careful with those aftermarket hoses. Gates are quality products but those bends can be critical. About 10 years ago when my 99 LS400 was still fairly new to me the bolt on the PS pump pulley somehow ground a hole in the hose next to it. I've used Lexus/Toyota ever since.
Sigh. I might as well fess up. I initially installed the hose and noticed it was very close to the drive belt, about 1/2". In my laziness, I decided to leave it be (bad idea). I double checked everything again the next day and of course the hose had moved on over to the belt and was rubbing on it slightly. I had to drain the coolant and cut a few more inches off the hose.
TIP: Don't cut corners!!
Old 08-23-17, 05:58 PM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just my experience (late to this thread):
* fan failure will not cause overheating. But it will cause A/C to kick out when sitting still
* radiator has to be really low to overheat; it's amazing how well the LS cools even when low
* your picture shows the rotted foam on the front of the old radiator; I replaced my rad on a road trip last Christmas, new rad didn't include the foam; so I vowed to get around to figuring out how to get some new foam in there "later". Now I've been through upper 90's weather with stop and go and: A/C works great and temp needle is rock solid at the usual place. So not sure why Lexus put the foam in there; but I am guiltily running around without foam, avoiding pulling the new rad to improvise something I think will look "not too good".
Old 08-23-17, 06:56 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

I also used a Gates hose and the serpentine belt rubbed a hole in my hose. Clearly they messed up the dimensions. It's about a 1/2" off. Went OEM and problem solved.

In fairness to Gates, it comes with a tag that says "trim to fit" but I still think a hose should fit perfectly right out of the box.

From now now on with coolant hoses I'm going to try and go OEM. Modern engine compartments are simply too tight and the slightest bit off is a disaster.

Last edited by BradTank; 08-23-17 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-24-17, 05:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BradTank
I also used a Gates hose and the serpentine belt rubbed a hole in my hose. Clearly they messed up the dimensions. It's about a 1/2" off. Went OEM and problem solved.

In fairness to Gates, it comes with a tag that says "trim to fit" but I still think a hose should fit perfectly right out of the box.

From now now on with coolant hoses I'm going to try and go OEM. Modern engine compartments are simply too tight and the slightest bit off is a disaster.
This is a good tip....I used Gates on my Nissan and they were fine, and have always considered them quality, but will avoid on the LS....but I would obviously much prefer an Aisin timing belt kit to a Gates one too....the indie used a Bando serpentine belt which is significantly cheaper and for all I know, Bando is the OEM to Toyota Motor....
Old 08-24-17, 09:23 AM
bradland

Copied from Lexus of S Atlanta website-

V-BELT (FOR FAN & ALTERNATOR)

Part Number: 9091602585
This fits your 2006 LEXUS LS430
BELT, V-RIBBED; BANDO

BELT, V-RIBBED

They list 2
9091602585 is $76.23 (Bando)
9091602586 is $45.14 (Mitsuboshi)