LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Ideas Needed for a Gold '03 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-17, 08:56 PM
jgstovall
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas Needed for a Gold '03 LS430

Hey all! I'm new here, so excuse me for anything I might've missed.

I just got a 2003 Lexus LS430 from my step-grandmother. It's my first quality car (I came from an '03 Dodge Intrepid) and I want to keep its value and condition as good as possible. The downside of a free car from your grandparents is that.. it's gold. I love it the car, but it's hard for me to accept that I'm now the "coolest grandma on the block" with this car, considering that I drive it faster than your average grandma. What do I do? It's completely stock - everything except for an old fashioned Nokia kit that I uninstalled and replaced with a GROM USB / Bluetooth adapter.

If I had more money, the answer would be obvious - but I'm finishing up the last year of my bachelor's degree and will be jumping into my master's immediately afterwards, so my funds are what you'd expect from a college student. What are my options? Do I keep the gold and try to make it tolerable with other rims / vinyl / car bra / other accessories? Or do I repaint it properly for upwards of 5 grand and at least get a color I want - even if I can't do this for several years? Anyone else have suggestions?
Old 08-07-17, 09:18 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

You'll keep it's value best by not painting it. How many miles are on it? It's probably not worth investing a ton of money into a paint job anyway.

I'd just drive it for awhile and see if you like it. It might not be your cup 'o tea.

Post some pictures of the car when you get a chance...
Old 08-08-17, 05:22 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Drive it for a while, keep it clean and the miles down and then sell it after a year or so and get what you want. And realize you're driving a free car was once $65k. You've been given a gift that 99% of the world would never even think of getting, much less receive. Look at the quality upgrade from your Intrepid. To get the most out of it later, keep it clean, stock, maintained and low miles.
Old 08-08-17, 06:31 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Acccept a gift of love and be thankful.
Old 08-08-17, 06:55 AM
enigma25
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with the other posters. Keep it clean and show pride of ownership, then you can sell and get what you want.

The only other option is a full vinyl wrap. Protects the paint very well, and 100% reversible. But it's not cheap.

Enjoy a great car!
Old 08-08-17, 08:33 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

I have a Gold LS and have never really been bothered by it. Full disclosure: My wife drives it most of the time, so she more or less picked that one out because of the color.
I do see a few comments about Gold and the dislike for it, but again, never bothered me.

You could put a set of wheels on the car that may compensate for the color. Perhaps something in Black?
Old 08-08-17, 11:09 AM
enigma25
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
I have a Gold LS and have never really been bothered by it. Full disclosure: My wife drives it most of the time, so she more or less picked that one out because of the color.
I do see a few comments about Gold and the dislike for it, but again, never bothered me.

You could put a set of wheels on the car that may compensate for the color. Perhaps something in Black?
I'm sure your budget is tight being a student, but I have a set of OZ Racing Wheels, 18x8 that might be worth considering. PM if interested.
Old 08-08-17, 04:39 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 102 Posts

Easy solution, have the car autoflex'd. If you aren't familiar with it, its a sprayable peelable paint, that is scratch resistant, self healing, and can last as long as paint and can achieve a higher gloss finish over paint. I used the product on my wheels in aresol form which turned out amazing, but I'll probably do my car in the future. You can have it done for around $1500-2000 from a shop. With the right color you could probably keep good value on the car if you ever sold it and it won't damage any of the original paint which can effect the value. The shop doesnt need to do body work or sand the body to prep for applying.

Check out other cars from that channel or look at the dip your car channel with cars done in autoflex. You could always go the plastidip/proline route which you can do yourself but it generally won't look like a paint job, but it still can look good. I dipped a ES300 last year. You can choose any color you want, just specify the pearl to the shop.
Old 08-09-17, 09:41 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Had an 01 Gold. Tint the windows. Do 17" chrome rims (ideally 5 spoke). Better yet 18's. Maybe a bra. Get a car cover (do have to remove to drive tho). If nothing else, get some new CD's and crank up the stereo. Congrats. Getting a free 430 is a good deal
Attached Thumbnails Ideas Needed for a Gold '03 LS430-ls-el-mac-copy.jpg  
Old 08-09-17, 11:07 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

silver is $16 an ounce, gold is $1,230 an ounce but silver is the more popular color for cars. I know I am in the minority but I like gold badging and think gold cars are just fine. I almost traded my premium for a gold CL but chickened out when my job was in jeopardy. ended up with everybody in production, maintenance and sanitation and the office losing their jobs but shipping department was saved. still have never heard a Mark Levinson system and maybe someday I will.
Old 08-09-17, 11:34 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

not to be too harsh, but i'm surprised you're considering spending a dime on a car that you don't have to. You're a student with I assume very limited income.
If you have debt of any kind, pay that off before you spend anything optional on this gift.
don't scrimp on maintenance but first things first my friend.
Old 08-09-17, 08:56 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 120 Posts

Tint and maybe chrome OEM wheels at most. Like others have said, don't spend any more than you need other than for maintenance. Drive and enjoy what should be pretty much a trouble free car. You're not going to get much if any return on your money.

My buddies give me a hard time for driving what they call a grampa car. I take the heat because I love the way the car drives and it fits my 6' 5" frame with ease. Focus on getting through school, get that good paying job, and then you can worry about stepping up to a different car or maybe even an newer LS.
Old 08-09-17, 09:20 PM
Bhubb18
Pole Position

Gold can look decent if you want to modify the car - Coilovers, some nice big wheels and you'll get it looking good! IMO I would never choose a Gold LS, but being given one... you can't complain at that :P