LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Is the 04-06 facelift *really* worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-17, 06:10 PM
Bhubb18
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is the 04-06 facelift *really* worth it?

Hey guys

I currently drive a GS300 and I'm looking to go even bigger and baller-er. I've been eyeing up LS430s for a while now, been checking the forums daily, and seeing what cars are going for what price locally
Anyway, I was pretty set on a silver / grey / black 04 on model with black interior, but they seem to be going for 12k+ AUD
Today I spot a 01 LS430, burgundy with black interior - 95K kms, and cheaper than most!
Given its the older model, it still has the same 5 speed as my GS300 which isn't the end of the world... What other features am I missing out on? Australian models seemed to not get the full range of options

Also the ignition barrel looks a little bit damaged? Apparently the car was written off in 2006, but has since been inspected and is in roadworthy condition..

Am I better off waiting for a more expensive facelift model?

Thanks
Old 08-08-17, 06:34 PM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

My 01 (Silver/black interior) doesn't have rear parking sensors, backup camera, headlights that turn with you, cooled seats and probably a few other features. It has 16" wheels instead of 17".

None of that extra stuff interested me when I drove the 01 vs an 04 that was for sale.

The 01 had more miles, but it didn't justify the $5k price difference. I went with the 01. I like that it is slightly lower tech, but still has the features I care about.

The 01 still drives like a dream. The previous owner had done front/rear brakes, plugs/wires, new tires, timing belt, synthetic oil change and then sold it to me. Thank you!
Old 08-09-17, 09:21 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Had an 01 Base. Great car and ultra reliable. Simple means (hopefully) fewer repairs. Can also upgrade the stereo easily w/ something high end that includes good NAV. The 5 speed is invisible. Those are the reasons I'd choose an 01-03. They are a real bargain.

I bought my 04 for the 6 speed, Sports Suspension, facelift and color combo. Manual shift, better gas mileage, feels faster, handles better. Now? The Smart Key is pretty cool. Back up cam IS useful. So are the sensors. ML audio a mixed blessing. Cooled seats useless. JMO but the 18's look better. Same with design update but only an LS owner would notice the difference.

If you want a nice car, buy an 01-03 and upgrade. I plan to keep mine for years so paid extra to get pretty much exactly what I wanted.
Old 08-09-17, 03:48 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

yeah I definitely prefer the looks of the newer model but tallcaguy was quite right..only an LS owner would know the difference, ha.

aside from the looks, some folks prefer the 5 speed tranny of the earlier model...I sure do. Not a big deal but I'd rather have that than the 6 sp which just shifts too often for my taste. How these people with 8 speeds tranny deal with it is beyond me.
Old 08-09-17, 04:07 PM
Bhubb18
Pole Position

The only reason I'm not wanting a 5 speed is because thats what I already have haha.
TBH this is probably my favourite colour combo on the LS - 3P2 black cherry pearl with black interior.
I'll be upgrading the stereo system, suspension etc so I guess its not a huge deal.
My main concern is that the trim near the ignition barrel is damaged. I'll try and investigate it soon
Old 08-09-17, 05:20 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

I guess I'd like to know why the car was written off back in 2006. I can understand that some people cannot afford the cream of the crop or even the average accident free ones and therefore look to get a good value on a rebuilt car. Probably explains why the price is lower on this. Still would pay to check up into the service history on it.

As far as the trim piece its likely one of two things: someone tried to steal the car at some point or someone had to fix the lock cylinder and didn't do a very good job doing it. How many keys come with the car? Do they work in all of the locks???
Old 08-09-17, 06:56 PM
Bhubb18
Pole Position

Apparently the car was stolen and recovered at some stage, which would explain the damage. I'm not going to jump into the car if its not good - It took me a year to find the right GS300 :P I've been eyeing up 04 on models with black leather, but they all seem to have much higher mileage, and aren't really going cheap enough IMO.
Old 08-09-17, 07:13 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by toddmorr
yeah I definitely prefer the looks of the newer model but tallcaguy was quite right..only an LS owner would know the difference, ha.

aside from the looks, some folks prefer the 5 speed tranny of the earlier model...I sure do. Not a big deal but I'd rather have that than the 6 sp which just shifts too often for my taste. How these people with 8 speeds tranny deal with it is beyond me.
I dont know the complaint about too much shifting. I never feel mine shifting and if anyone had asked me I could not have told them I had a six speed.
Old 08-09-17, 08:51 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

The 5 speed in my 01 was completely invisible. Didn't know when it shifted up or down. The 6 is close but sometimes feel the hint of a shift. So it's only 99% perfect. Yes the 5 is smoother...but it's fun to be able to shift the 6 and the gas mileage is a little better
Old 08-09-17, 08:55 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimisbell
I dont know the complaint about too much shifting. I never feel mine shifting and if anyone had asked me I could not have told them I had a six speed.
LOL after the 2 D/F's, I have to look at the tach to see gear changes. It just keeps getting smoother. Every once in awhile I feel (barely) the shift but for all practical purposes it's pretty close to invisible too. Either transmission is top of the line. Just slightly different.
Old 08-10-17, 06:33 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
LOL after the 2 D/F's, I have to look at the tach to see gear changes. It just keeps getting smoother. Every once in awhile I feel (barely) the shift but for all practical purposes it's pretty close to invisible too. Either transmission is top of the line. Just slightly different.
I never know what gear my 04 is in unless I stomp the throttle for instant acceleration. Even then I don't know what gear it shifter to (no do I really care). I just let the car do what I want and don't worry about how it does it! What could be better?
Old 08-10-17, 11:40 PM
Bhubb18
Pole Position

Had a look at it and definitely giving it a miss. Was too rough, but that was reflected in the price. Had been resprayed - the colour was good, the finish was terrible! Gives me more time to sell my GS300 :P
Old 08-11-17, 09:52 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Bhubb18
Had a look at it and definitely giving it a miss. Was too rough, but that was reflected in the price. Had been resprayed - the colour was good, the finish was terrible! Gives me more time to sell my GS300 :P
Probably a wise choice to pass one that one. The re-spray will never hold up like the original paint. On a side note, are you a fan of Mighty Car Mods? I stumbled on their You Tube videos about a year ago and have been a huge fan since (Yes I bought a chopped fingers flag to hang in my garage!)
Old 08-12-17, 10:06 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Had an 01 Base. Great car and ultra reliable. Simple means (hopefully) fewer repairs. Can also upgrade the stereo easily w/ something high end that includes good NAV. The 5 speed is invisible. Those are the reasons I'd choose an 01-03. They are a real bargain.

I bought my 04 for the 6 speed, Sports Suspension, facelift and color combo. Manual shift, better gas mileage, feels faster, handles better. Now? The Smart Key is pretty cool. Back up cam IS useful. So are the sensors. ML audio a mixed blessing. Cooled seats useless. JMO but the 18's look better. Same with design update but only an LS owner would notice the difference.

If you want a nice car, buy an 01-03 and upgrade. I plan to keep mine for years so paid extra to get pretty much exactly what I wanted.

tallca nailed all the reasons to go 04-06. Agreed that the 5-speed is incomparable in its smoothness and operation. I don't find the 6-speed too busy and it's mostly an extra overdrive gear. I originally thought an 8-speed is pointless and would be hunting too much between gears but I was pleasantly wrong and surprised after experiencing it. I would rank the 5-speed tops in transparent operation, followed by the 8-speed, then the 6-speed (and the 6-speed is by no means terrible).

We went with an 06 for all the reasons tallca stated. The 04-06 doesn't look as dated as the 01-03, even to non-Lexus enthusiasts. I'd rather get an LS 400 than an 01-03 LS 430 if I couldn't swing an 04+. The 01-03 provides a very comfortable ride, especially on 16s but it does lean a lot more in turns, which is expected. The 04-06 feels more planted and less floaty while still providing a supremely comfortable ride. Good luck on your search but I would pass on the one that has the cracked ignition barrel, sounds like it's a salvaged title.
Old 08-13-17, 05:18 AM
Bombsquad
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey man, I'm in brisbane and have an 05 LS430. Bought it 8 weeks ago from Springwood Lexus. I wouldn't buy that WOVR LS430, I paid $12k for mine at the dealer. Just wait til the right one comes around, I did. Of course on Friday night some S.O.B ran into me on the centenary freeway so now I'm driving an Infiniti Q50 til the LS is repaired.
If you wanna come see my car just PM me.

Quick Reply: Is the 04-06 facelift *really* worth it?