LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Listening to music on smart phone through factory radio.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-17, 12:14 PM
markwhit
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Listening to music on smart phone through factory radio.

I have an android smart phone and have a music app that i listen to on my phone. I can connect the blue tooth through the factory stereo and talk which that works. Is there any setting on the factory radio that could play music from my smart phone through the stereo on the Lexus? Or was that technology not ready yet back then.
Attached Thumbnails Listening to music on smart phone through factory radio.-nav.jpg  
Old 08-13-17, 01:12 PM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default bluetooth radio

[QUOTE=markwhit;9953295]I have an android smart phone and have a music app that i listen to on my phone. I can connect the blue tooth through the factory stereo and talk which that works. Is there any setting on the factory radio that could play music from my smart phone through the stereo on the Lexus? Or was that technology not ready yet back then.[/QUO

Old bluetooth profile does not support music from phone to the factory radio
The following users liked this post:
markwhit (08-13-17)
Old 08-13-17, 02:36 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 248 Posts

The '01 LS does not even have Bluetooth..... There are some pricey wedge type devices that connect via BT and then appear as an auxiliary input device but I decided to go the "cheap route" and use an FM transmitter model for around $20 dollars.... I got the type that can hold the phone as another screen (since I use Waze mainly for navigation since the mapping software is out of date) and it has a charging port..... Fits nicely into the cigarette lighter position but then you cannot close the lid (our model is the storage tray and not the ash tray).

Down side is you have to find an "open" FM channel to use..... Works fairly well and the audio quality is decent...
Old 08-13-17, 04:21 PM
jjskywlker
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought this thing that streams through cigarette lighter via bluetooth to an FM station. It works shockingly well, and much better than a cassette converter. I have it hooked up in the center console.

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-14-17, 03:13 PM
shmi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with a bluetooth adapter from GROM audio, does phone calls (came with a microphone) and music streaming. Works great, no regrets. Might want to look into that if you want.
Old 08-14-17, 03:29 PM
NL5
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by shmi
I went with a bluetooth adapter from GROM audio, does phone calls (came with a microphone) and music streaming. Works great, no regrets. Might want to look into that if you want.
​​​​​​

I did this as well. Started out with an FM adapter, but the sound quality was terrible. Bought the Grom with the HD radio adapter. Sounds fantastic.
Old 08-14-17, 05:45 PM
markwhit
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Music

So i bought this MP3 adapter. It plugs into the cig lighter and the male port plugs into your phone. YOu have to have it on a station like 88.9 and your radio the same. So i had my music app on today and seemed to sound pretty good. However i did get some static while around buildings. HOw does this GROM work? Is it plug and play. Anyone have a link to buy one?
Attached Thumbnails Listening to music on smart phone through factory radio.-mp3.jpg  
Old 08-15-17, 06:37 AM
NL5
Driver

Originally Posted by markwhit
HOw does this GROM work? Is it plug and play.
​​​​​​
The Grom plugs into the back of the stereo. It is plug and play. You will have to pull the stereo out, but it is super easy, and there is a video on the Grom website that shows you how to do it.
Old 08-15-17, 06:45 AM
NL5
Driver

Install video -

https://youtu.be/EM2tmMhDRFA

Grom site -

http://gromaudio.com/store/bt3_adapters/select_lexus_es_lex_bluetooth_ipod_iphone_adapter.html
Old 08-15-17, 09:01 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Make sure you specify what year and equipment: https://www.usaspec.com/p-322-bt45-toy.aspx
Old 08-15-17, 10:25 AM
BryanHall
Driver School Candidate

I went with the GROM as well. Got it off Amazon for around $150 with a USB extension and trim removal tools. I have had it lock up a couple times if I switch from one phone to an other mid song (kid wants to listen to her phone) but turning the the car off and back on fixes everything. Also have some issues with it skipping ahead on podcast when I first plug it in. Overall its a solid solution, really easy to install and a much cleaner look than the tape adapters and FM transmitters.
Old 08-15-17, 08:28 PM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with the USA Spec BT45-TOY and happy with it. Plus the quality is much better than the cassette to aux to Bluetooth adapter I had. I recommend you research them as well.
Old 08-16-17, 06:11 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by lsdude
I went with the USA Spec BT45-TOY and happy with it. Plus the quality is much better than the cassette to aux to Bluetooth adapter I had. I recommend you research them as well.
You are also able to see artist/album/song info on your Nav screen, too.
Old 08-16-17, 11:43 AM
Dafixison
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BryanHall
I went with the GROM as well. Got it off Amazon for around $150 with a USB extension and trim removal tools. I have had it lock up a couple times if I switch from one phone to an other mid song (kid wants to listen to her phone) but turning the the car off and back on fixes everything. Also have some issues with it skipping ahead on podcast when I first plug it in. Overall its a solid solution, really easy to install and a much cleaner look than the tape adapters and FM transmitters.
This might be a really dumb question, but what is the USB extension for. I bought a used LS430 with the GROM kit installed and in the center glove box there is an USB extension cord that I have no clue until now that it is part of the GROM kit. Also, there is a micophone with cable left unconnected in the same glove box How hard is it to connect the microphone? Thanks
Old 08-16-17, 02:31 PM
shmi
Rookie

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Dafixison
This might be a really dumb question, but what is the USB extension for. I bought a used LS430 with the GROM kit installed and in the center glove box there is an USB extension cord that I have no clue until now that it is part of the GROM kit. Also, there is a micophone with cable left unconnected in the same glove box How hard is it to connect the microphone? Thanks
Not entirely sure, but the USB extension might be to play music off of a USB flash drive.

The microphone is dead simple to plug in, the tricky part is accessing the GROM unit, since it depends entirely on where the person who installed it put it. When you pull the factory radio out to wire up the GROM unit, there's a bunch of space behind and below it for the GROM unit, which is where I put mine.

Quick Reply: Listening to music on smart phone through factory radio.