LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Looking at buying LS430

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-17, 12:35 AM
tanto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Looking at buying LS430 in Dubai/UAE

Hi everybody, I'm so excited to see a live community of Lexus enthusiasts. To give a bit of background - I was born and brought up in the UAE and as you can imagine - cars have always fascinated me.

LS430 has always been that car I kind of have look up to - the ones Arabs drive and command respect (the ones you can cruise at 140km/hr and when you beam - the ones in the front would give way (face-palm)), the eternal style associated with it and I simply love everything about it - the shape, the interiors, etc. However I must confess I have never rode inside one.

I am now 23 and I currently work in Internet City and drive from Sharjah - roughly 135 kms (up&down) on a daily basis. I have been on my car-hunt for a very very long time now. Firstly - I am a person who loves exclusivity when it comes to everything and because of that - loathes to own a mainstream car. Secondly, I'm on a budget and I'm looking to get a used car between 35k - 50k (economist after all - do not want to afford the depreciation) Initially I was looking at Toyota GT86, but because I have backbone problems the seats were not comfortable for me. That's when I started looking for 3-door SUVs including Prados, etc. However, it was going out of my budget. Then I started looking at BMW 5-series (the handsome one with orange mustache) - I simply love the looks of it but I'm a but concerned about it's reliability.

So then it came down to this - either own a relatively new car with low kms on the odometer and live with it and my pick was Suzuki Swift Sport. It has almost everything i want. But again the ghosts from the past have come to tempt me again - hence I'm always looking at LS430.

If I were to sacrifice certainty to an extend to get pleasure of a better car, sacrifice little fuel economy, maybe my concerns would boil down to these:

1. I'm confused whether to get a US spec (though I'm very unsure about it and got a phobia about them since everybody around me would call me a fool if I bought an US spec one and the car started giving problems later) or a GCC one. GCC ones are expensive - but this is what I wanted to check. Is it logical and worth it to buy a GCC one (I'm looking at 2005 & 2006 models under 160k kms) or instead get a US spec one?
2. I know there are plenty of US spec ones on the road - but with recent fires now that are a norm lately with cars that are imported - I'm getting a little worried again. Alongside, I have read that US specs are not too bad but I'm again concerned about the filtration systems (to counter the effect of dust/sand mixed with engine oil, and other effects on bearings, pumps etc of US spec cars)
3. Are the spare parts for US LS430s same as GCC? If not, is it easy to source genuine parts for US spec models?
4. Can somebody help me with a good contact of a honest mechanic I can speak to about this and get an expert opinion (in Sharjah, Dubai or Ajman)? Also to whom I could take the LS430 if I'm getting one for servicing, repairs, etc.
5. Fuel economy - is it possible for me to expect at least 10km/liter?
6. Lastly, what are the main checks I should perform/check to ensure the LS430 I'm buying is not a lemon. Want to get a perfectly maintain one (as much as possible - ones that have done servicing on time and changed belts, etc at regular intervals)

It's a long one. But i hope somebody would help me.

Thanks in advance! Chao!

Last edited by tanto; 08-14-17 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-14-17, 01:58 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i'd be a little leary of buying a US spec car over there. Reason is that so many of the used car dealers over there are not ethical...they are buying from US auctions and shipping them over, in some cases turning the odometers back. Think you're better off regularly checking dubizzle and patiently waiting for a local car with solid history to come available.
Old 08-14-17, 04:45 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

It's possible to change the mileage on a digital odometer?
Old 08-14-17, 07:04 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

A couple of guys regularly post from Dubai and the UAE. May I suggest that you add something to the thread title that you are looking for responses from those that live (or have lived) in the Middle East. (i.e.: Thinking of buying and owning a LS430 in Dubai or UAE, or something to that effect.) Also, try the search function. Good luck.
Old 08-28-17, 12:58 AM
ALISC400
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey there,

This is going to be a long response so take your time! In Dubai here as well =) I would agree, LS430 has lived through the ages in the gulf as a respected car. It is quite easy to maintain as well with parts widely available. As the LS460 is dropping in price (AED 40k), the LS430 has become ever more affordable (20K for '01). The LS400 as well has dropped price well under AED 12K which is a bargain!

I don’t have a current LS430 as I sold mine to buy another lexus but as a previous owner, this is like riding on a cloud. IF your budget is between 35-50 then I would honestly suggest EITHER the LS430 05/06 OR the LS460, the LS460 IMO is a much better refined car and again prices are dropping but LS430 is the cheapest to maintain. I have an ES an you wont believe me when I say THIS ES is more expensive in parts than LS (talking about scrap than wakala) Even Tijrai (not OEM) is everywhere.

I have 2 friends with GT86 and they say the same thing, it is not the most confortable, its quite slow and very expensive to maintain (agency charge almost 10k for service). YES, you can modify it to become amazing but then again what are you looking for, comfort or speed? IF you want performance, there are many better cars. If you want comfort (every day daily driving) you will not be disappointed with LS. I ask you to find me a bad review of this car!

BMW/MERC will have reliability issues + parts are expensive especially through agency repair. They are nice to drive but just depends what you’re into. Prado here is good and Landcruiser is still the king of all roads for a reason but will you be going off road? IF you need big space and maybe more passengers such as for family then yes SUV is a good option. IF you want something a bit smaller then still can go for 3 door SUV but I find it pointless if you are using this as a daily, maybe weekend car, it will be okay. Suzuki, hmm! I would rather get Jimny because it’s the most basic car and easy to repair but that is me.

To answer your points:

1) There is no “khaleeji” spec for less than 04-05 models to my knowledge. There is Japan and USA. Japan is in KM’S while USA in miles, but other than that not much difference. They have different grade models, base to full ultra (Ultra Luxury model or UL, this is also explained in the forms.) 2007 model has KHALEEJI/GCC spec but then the price difference is there. To be honest, I don’t see much difference in both when it comes down to it. There are slight differences but as long as the car is in good condition, you won’t have any issues. JUST please keep maintaining it regularly.

2) I have had 4 Lexus, all US spec and had no problems. But then I am very attentive to servicing. I inspect all my cars before purchase and ensure it goes through a garage for inspection via my mechanic. Besides Tasjeel, I want to inspect the car from the bottom plus ensure what work is needed. EVERY used car needs some sort of attention but if the car needs too much work or I see too many issues, I just avoid. You can get new filters and oil base here which isn’t that hard, any adnoc service will have the minor parts. MOST wakala/OEM stores (even Lexus service centre in UAE) will have compatible parts to ensure there are no major issues.

Before you even drive, ensure they grease everything and change the minor things such as the bushings, etc. You can test bearings and such even through a normal inspection. Pumps and all do last a while but you can check the manual to when they need to be changed and at least have an idea that the car will need to go through its major service once in its lifetime with you within the first year. Do not just leave it till later…

IF you are absolutely in love with your car and don’t mind spending a bit of money then just service as Lexus itself in UAE and you won’t have any issues. IF you are on a budget with service then you must try and select a good garage who know what they’re doing. Basic things like oil change and all that is not that much of an issue, they need to know what to do/what needs changing when things go wrong. I can help you here if needed, send a PM

3- 80% yes, they are the same (read above for KHALEEJI SPEC AFTER 07) but GENUINE parts honestly all over. About 70% of the entire car, you can find in genuine shops however the rest maybe a bit specific. YOU can find these in scrap (I have done this before and it is safe but ENSURE YOU TEST THESE PARTS FIRST). IF you are unsure, go with your car and a qualified mechanic and they will test in front of you. Do not just take someone’s words for it. You can find half cut cars, engines, gear boxes, loads of parts but I would again test these and ensure their condition on the spot.

4 – Already mentioned this, just depends on budget. MANY tuning shops can do the job but will charge you an arm and a leg. Their work is good but its quite expensive in the long run. IF you just need minor stuff: oil change, filters, etc… ADNOC isn’t bad. IF you need major stuff AND you can afford a bit, then Lexus but remember their labour is expensive regardless. Good garages are not that easy to find but again, PM if needed. I have some in Dubai and Sharjah I can recommend, you can visit and judge for yourself. I can even show you my service history to show you the work I did on most of my cars.

5 – In theory, depends what you’re doing. In practice, yes if you’re going long distance. These are basically camels. IF you want to do Fuj to Al ain every day, this is perfect. Don’t even need to put it in cruise control, just stride and you’ll be alright. Now city driving/traffic is a different story. IF you’re in start stop traffic (in Dubai or Sharjah) with busy roads then it will not give you the best ever fuel economy but then you have to remember this is a V8, not a corolla. You can somewhat drive economically and not just smash your foot down every time and it gives decent amount. I used to push in AED 128 on full tank which lasted me 6-8 days but I drive from Dubai to Sharjah every day but not long distance. I did SHJ to AD and back + a little bit more in one tank. If I remember, it can give me around 280-320 miles//roughly 500km on high ways and almost 400-420 on daily. Depends how you drive and I used to use (95?) special fuel only.

6 – Okay this will go into a long long long list because I actually made one when buying my SC. I will have to find it but honestly 5 main things. When you start the car, see for any check engine/VCS light. If it is, you can get OBD tester and plug it into the car. EVEN IF THE LIGHTS DON’T SHOW, do check this because they can wipe the codes. IT will tell you if it has been wiped/edited if you have a good OBD system. Check for any sounds, knocks, whining noise, any vibration. MOST LS should be like a S class, virtually no noise. IF you even rev the car, you shouldn’t be able to hear it very loudly within the car. You can do this again with the windows down. Check for any smoke, check for all electronics – ensure they are working. The windows, sunroof, the audio system (turn it loud if you need to). Make sure when you close the door it lines up to the edge, if one side is uneven then it’s mostly an accident repair car and this will show up in the TASJEEL/RTA test.

Take it with a pinch of salt, most of these cars; you will not know the entire maintenance history, you cannot for sure tell if it’s been repaired or it’s the way it is by just looking at it from Dubizzle and finally if it’s even from an owner, I can never trust someone who says “just take it and drive, there are no problems” or that its “lady driven and they’re leaving the country”. IF it’s privately owned, check for service history; see when the last oil change at least was done. IF it’s through a trader or any other 3rd party, then take a mechanic (raise the car if you can and check the under body for any leaks, any parts that may need replacing) – much can be told just by driving the car to be honest.

Apologies if any of these points have been mentioned before. Again if you need more information or anything, just PM!
The following users liked this post:
harisls430 (12-04-21)
Old 08-28-17, 01:01 AM
ALISC400
Rookie

Originally Posted by toddmorr
i'd be a little leary of buying a US spec car over there. Reason is that so many of the used car dealers over there are not ethical...they are buying from US auctions and shipping them over, in some cases turning the odometers back. Think you're better off regularly checking dubizzle and patiently waiting for a local car with solid history to come available.
Finding someone with even a partial service history is rare. People here just ask you to trust their word or check the car yourself (in a very short amount of time) as they say if the car passes the registration check here, everything will be okay, which is not the case.

Dealers here will lie through their teeth but honestly just a simple drive around the block says a lot. These cars can drive up to 500,000km with no problem (300k miles?) but yeah just need to ensure the car has been maintained properly than neglected which happens here a lot!
Old 08-28-17, 10:29 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Whoa??!?!? Dealers lie? unheard of...
And here we thought this only happens in the US...
Old 08-28-17, 01:41 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't forget checking for obvious wear spots such as on the steering wheel, brake pedal, and center console. Excessive wear could signal many more miles than what the odometer shows.
Old 08-28-17, 06:34 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Check for spring sag
Old 08-29-17, 01:42 AM
ALISC400
Rookie

Originally Posted by Daspyda
Don't forget checking for obvious wear spots such as on the steering wheel, brake pedal, and center console. Excessive wear could signal many more miles than what the odometer shows.
I would also note the seat condition, any dashboard cracks or even near the air vents (sun damage perhaps?), even fading paint at times. Just see if the paint is even plus the overall feel of driving the car. If its well maintained then honestly its worth the higher price but most that are imported have something or the other wrong with them but these are not major. Sadly I've seen many people here who do not maintain their cars well and basically want to drive it into the ground. Worse yet is when they put fake or badly used parts just to fix an existing problem.
Old 08-29-17, 05:04 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by ALISC400
I would also note the seat condition, any dashboard cracks or even near the air vents (sun damage perhaps?), even fading paint at times. Just see if the paint is even plus the overall feel of driving the car. If its well maintained then honestly its worth the higher price but most that are imported have something or the other wrong with them but these are not major. Sadly I've seen many people here who do not maintain their cars well and basically want to drive it into the ground. Worse yet is when they put fake or badly used parts just to fix an existing problem.
I know with mine at 81k,there was wear on the b pillar (dunno maybe a certain height or weight hits it getting in, I've learned to avoid contact). The piece is replaceable ($183 list) but you know how it goes, the ones on eBay are all the pass. side and $35 (nice price). I used krazy glue to prevent any more wear/damage--even my buddy who is a stickler for keeping things OE said he wouldn't have paid $127 (discount) for that piece, he would be ok with gluing back in place what's there. When I rode in my pass seat, it felt much better than the driver's side, so I wonder if many driver's seats will be worn after 12 years...

I would also look to see how the vehicle has been scraped front and rear. I dunno how much is fair to take off the price, but cars these old are most certainly going to have been parked over a concrete block etc., which breaks the deflectors in front of the front tires, scrapes the front fascia, etc....
Old 08-29-17, 08:55 AM
ALISC400
Rookie

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I know with mine at 81k,there was wear on the b pillar (dunno maybe a certain height or weight hits it getting in, I've learned to avoid contact). The piece is replaceable ($183 list) but you know how it goes, the ones on eBay are all the pass. side and $35 (nice price). I used krazy glue to prevent any more wear/damage--even my buddy who is a stickler for keeping things OE said he wouldn't have paid $127 (discount) for that piece, he would be ok with gluing back in place what's there. When I rode in my pass seat, it felt much better than the driver's side, so I wonder if many driver's seats will be worn after 12 years... I would also look to see how the vehicle has been scraped front and rear. I dunno how much is fair to take off the price, but cars these old are most certainly going to have been parked over a concrete block etc., which breaks the deflectors in front of the front tires, scrapes the front fascia, etc....
The great thing about this site is the community itself. There are a thousand ways to fix existing issues. I get annoyed at tiny things when they go wrong such as wind noise or a small rattle. However I've seen the original Lexus parts versus eBay, I have to say those prices are daylight robbery. Sometimes you can find a good used part from a salvage car (I got used trunk struts to replace my failing ones for example) but also DIY solutions work wonders. I agree about the scrapes, I've seen side scrapes from container loading but also know sometimes these cars are in yards however these are not major issues as can be fixed easily. The best news here in my region is that spares for these cars from other used and/or salvage cars are in great quantity.

Most of the driver side would be worn but that is to be expected.