LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2004 possible purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-17, 05:34 AM
mykvr6
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
I'd pass. Too many problems. Not registering the car in his name may mean he got a good deal and wants to make some money. If you can afford to spend a little more, you may be able to get a much nicer car. Also you described the ride as "floaty". That's how the standard suspension feels. That's why I suggested driving the Sport for comparison. Still luxury firm but feels "tighter." The car has more road feedback and handles better. Still quiet and comfortable on the highway.
Yeah I started adding up stuff that I would "need" to do and the list starting getting long. I'm going to try out the sport suspension car Monday. It has more miles but nothing strange on the service history from Lexus, has a pretty extensive history. Clean carfax and I pulled it up on research.com too with nothing to see there either. Looks pretty clean in photos, I'll have to see in person. There are a couple of other cars locally that are a bit more. Place in Pasadena, TX has a 2005 in white. 88k on it and they are asking $11.997. Seems a bit overpriced but again looks very clean in pictures. its on cars.com https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9718/overview/ Its been for sale for a while, price was originally 12,997. I just think its overpriced.
Old 08-18-17, 05:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mykvr6
Yeah I started adding up stuff that I would "need" to do and the list starting getting long. I'm going to try out the sport suspension car Monday. It has more miles but nothing strange on the service history from Lexus, has a pretty extensive history. Clean carfax and I pulled it up on research.com too with nothing to see there either. Looks pretty clean in photos, I'll have to see in person. There are a couple of other cars locally that are a bit more. Place in Pasadena, TX has a 2005 in white. 88k on it and they are asking $11.997. Seems a bit overpriced but again looks very clean in pictures. its on cars.com https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9718/overview/ Its been for sale for a while, price was originally 12,997. I just think its overpriced.
I'd prefer to buy from a new car dealer (sounds weird I know because who wants to deal with car dealers)....my car had pulsating brakes and a driver door actuator that was not functioning, I did not uncover these on the test drive. To my surprise, the selling dealership took care of these no questions asked with Lexus OE parts (they are not a Lexus dealer)--I am almost certain that a used car dealer would say so sorry...obviously a private party would not take care of them--and that would make me angry, because a private party would have known about the defects. A new car dealer flipping a trade likely doesn't even know....just my .02. The above is worth probably $1,400 at a Lexus dealership if you had to pay them...
Old 08-18-17, 06:38 AM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I had my nav screen replaced in my 2004 UL due to a TSB a few years ago.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l006-04-a.html
Old 08-18-17, 10:35 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Look forward to your feedback on the Sport. If the car's been well maintained, the 139 isn't that big a deal for the drivetrain. However, it really is a good idea to look very carefully at small (but expensive) stuff like mirrors, door locks (every door), moonroof, etc. Bring some CD's. Load all 6 and change to make sure it works correctly. Especially if it's a ML audio, adjust the balance and listen to each speaker. LOL make a check list and use it Also suggest a pre purchase inspection. I wouldn't buy any car without doing this. A mechanic can check for leaks or problems that aren't obvious. Good luck! They really are incredibly nice cars.
Old 08-18-17, 06:56 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

no he has the title, it just hasnt been tranferred. Its signed by the previous owner, he showed it to me. He just didnt put it in his name. He bought it from her in May he said and was going to keep it but changed his mind so he decided to just leave the title open.
HUGE red flag. This guy is selling cars without a dealer's license - the lowest scum in the dealer food chain. In Florida, you can sell three cars in a year, BUT they must be titled in your name. Anything else is illegal.

He also is required to do tag work before he can legally drive the car.

If he lies about this, no telling what else?
Old 08-18-17, 07:59 PM
mykvr6
Pit Crew

Look forward to your feedback on the Sport. If the car's been well maintained, the 139 isn't that big a deal for the drivetrain. However, it really is a good idea to look very carefully at small (but expensive) stuff like mirrors, door locks (every door), moonroof, etc. Bring some CD's. Load all 6 and change to make sure it works correctly. Especially if it's a ML audio, adjust the balance and listen to each speaker. LOL make a check list and use it Also suggest a pre purchase inspection. I wouldn't buy any car without doing this. A mechanic can check for leaks or problems that aren't obvious. Good luck! They really are incredibly nice cars.
So I was looking into all the info I could find on the 2005 Sport suspension car and I really can't wait to check it out Monday. A guy here helped me pull service records from the owners.lexus.com site since I couldn't get it to register me. Then I finally got it working and I printed the service history at work this morning. There are records on the car all the way up to 136k miles. Carfax shows some maintenance things from a local toyota dealership including a timing belt change at 93k. There is also a record from Clear Choice a local Lexus specific indy shop. But yeah the records are all there, my quick run through it appears all oil changes and most maintenance was done on time and mostly at the dealer. So I'm pretty impressed with the history on this car. They want 8700 for it. I feel thats a bit high but it looks very clean in pictures. We'll see what it looks like in person. I also found a silver on black 2005 sport suspension car at a dealer on the other side of town. 90 something K miles, they want 10,995 for it. Service history is not as extensive, lots of oil changes at the local exxon gas station/lube and tune. I don't really want a black interior car with the heat we have down here. But we'll see, I'll update on monday.

Michael
Old 08-21-17, 09:06 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

A hundred here or there on price is nothing to sneeze at when finally you find a good car...
Old 08-21-17, 08:41 PM
mykvr6
Pit Crew

So I drove the 2004 Silver on black sport suspension car today. Drove nice. I could definitely feel the difference in road feel with the sport suspension. It felt tighter but still a bit more roll and bounce than I like. Car had 93k on it. Ran really good. But I don't like the black interior I've decided. This one smelled a bit like smoke. Steering wheel tilted but didn't move in and out, mirrors work and folded. The oscillating vents kinda worked, they would stick and then move then stick again. Half of the speakers sounded blown. Woofer appeared to be working but both front door speakers sounded shot. rear shade worked. etc etc etc. Pretty sure the PO traded it as all these little things started adding up. It had good tires and the body was pretty nice except for a scrape by the back drivers side door close to the wheelwell. Didn't look dented but a few scrapes. Funny the car was being "detailed" and the scapes looked like they were touched up. Might look ok if they went back and wet sanded it a bit, as it looked like they just blobbed paint everywhere there was a nick or scrape. Anyway hard pass on this car too. Maybe if they wanted like 7k for it instead of 10,995. at this point I think I would rather buy a car thats older for like 5k knowing it needed work and go from there. Looking at a couple more tomorrow I think.
Old 08-22-17, 09:03 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Not worth 11k. The oscillating fans are cute but expensive to replace (like 900 per Lexus dealer). Tx feedback on Sport. It's what I'd call "luxury firm". If you want less roll, could replace struts w/ something stiffer. Brand of tire does make a big difference. I've got Michelin Premier A/S which are soft. Plan to replace. I've driven a Sport w/ Michelin Super Sports. Ride was harsh but steering very quick.
Old 08-22-17, 11:28 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 102 Posts

Not worth 11k. The oscillating fans are cute but expensive to replace (like 900 per Lexus dealer). Tx feedback on Sport. It's what I'd call "luxury firm". If you want less roll, could replace struts w/ something stiffer. Brand of tire does make a big difference. I've got Michelin Premier A/S which are soft. Plan to replace. I've driven a Sport w/ Michelin Super Sports. Ride was harsh but steering very quick.
i think my fans went out, they turn for a bit then stop
Old 08-22-17, 11:53 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by e60bmw
i think my fans went out, they turn for a bit then stop
I run them only to entertain people that have never been in a 430. Seems to entertain. Test drove another 430. Turned the fans on and there was suddenly this terrible grinding noise while one blade moved very slowly. One owner, perfect dealer service but owner wouldn't discount 900 for the fans. No deal.
Old 08-22-17, 03:21 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I have never turned my swinging vanes off. They have a rather sophisticated control system depending on the internal temperature and whether there is a front passenger or not. When extremely hot and no passenger, the ftobrt vanes will not swing full width, but instead narrow the swing and focus more air towards the driver. Also the passenger vane may be stationary and also pointed towards the driver. I think they're great, couldn't live without them. They go back to normal after the car is cooled down.
Old 08-22-17, 04:05 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I have never turned my swinging vanes off. They have a rather sophisticated control system depending on the internal temperature and whether there is a front passenger or not. When extremely hot and no passenger, the ftobrt vanes will not swing full width, but instead narrow the swing and focus more air towards the driver. Also the passenger vane may be stationary and also pointed towards the driver. I think they're great, couldn't live without them. They go back to normal after the car is cooled down.
Intresting, I didn't know that. Maybe mine don't move after a while because it was already cooled down. I'll have to try it when I start the car later, I've never had any issues with it before, just noticed the other day when I had tried it.
Old 08-22-17, 04:31 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

when I am alone the vanes swing to the middle and back to me, but if I use the dual temp and alter the temps then they swing opposite and back to the middle. this is the way I like for them to operate. and they do not swing at all when the car is very hot until it cools down some.
Old 08-22-17, 04:47 PM
mykvr6
Pit Crew

Drove this car today: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9718/overview/
Cleanest one I've seen so far. Its as clean as the pictures look. Body looks all original, only a mild scratch in the clear here and there, all vin tags appear to be there. No wrecks on carfax ro research.com or mentioned in Lexus service records. Few things here and there that need attention (rear shade frame is there and works but the shade part is missing, mild pulsation in brakes when stopping slowly, trunk pop switch on the lid on the outside doesn't work but it does from the dash switch, no records of timing belt being done yet) Everything else works great, car is super clean, looks two or three years old maybe. Definitely not 12 years old. Oh yeah, low pressure light was on, all tires looked fine so maybe it was a sensor. I'll have them check if I decide to buy. They have no haggle pricing so they won't come off the price at all. They are pretty easy to deal with, I've bought a car from them before but basically the price is the price. So it's either worth it as is or not. I'm not sure. Its nice but...I couldn't quite pull the trigger.

Quick Reply: 2004 possible purchase