LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

DIY 15 Quart ATF Transmission Fluid FLUSH 2004 Lexus LS430 Done at Home

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-18, 08:56 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
​​​​​​Hey I wanted to know how exactly did you modify that sprayer to pump the ATF back into your tranny when you did your flush? I figure this would speed up the process since I plan on doing my GS and LS soon. Thanks in advance.
I'll have to get back to you tomorrow sometime. It was pretty easy to modify the pump. I'll have to dig it out of the cabinet in the garage and I'll take a better photo...
Old 06-05-18, 09:02 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 340 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
I'll have to get back to you tomorrow sometime. It was pretty easy to modify the pump. I'll have to dig it out of the cabinet in the garage and I'll take a better photo...
Thanks I appreciate you taking the time to help out.
Old 06-06-18, 08:04 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
​​​​​​Hey I wanted to know how exactly did you modify that sprayer to pump the ATF back into your tranny when you did your flush? I figure this would speed up the process since I plan on doing my GS and LS soon. Thanks in advance.
Went to Menards and picked up a one gallon capacity Chapin brand SureSpray and a length of clear hose (5/16" ID, 7/16" OD). I just inserted the clear hose into the fitting where the nozzle hose would connect. It was a little bit of a tight fit. Here is another picture. Not really much to see unfortunately...

Old 06-07-18, 04:45 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 340 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Went to Menards and picked up a one gallon capacity Chapin brand SureSpray and a length of clear hose (5/16" ID, 7/16" OD). I just inserted the clear hose into the fitting where the nozzle hose would connect. It was a little bit of a tight fit. Here is another picture. Not really much to see unfortunately...

Thanks for getting back to me. The size of the tubing help me out a lot.
Old 07-05-18, 09:58 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,278 Posts

For those tempted to run the engine with no return line for 30min I would think again. There are bushings, bearings, thrust washers, critical components relying on that lube to keep them alive. You wouldn't run the engine for 30min without oil would you!!?

Use the pressure method of a sprayer or whatever and put fluid in while fluid is coming out!!
If the pressure bottle holds a gallon, turn the engine off when a gallon comes out.

Remember you can use any container you can pressurize. Just place the pickup on the bottom and use whatever you have to pressurize. Increase/decrease the pressure so the rates mostly match.

The goal is to keep fluid going to those components!!!
Old 07-06-18, 09:40 AM
ostneb
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Will this method work on an 2nd gen IS250?
Old 07-06-18, 12:19 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Originally Posted by ostneb
Will this method work on an 2nd gen IS250?

Yes, but our 2IS has the heat exchanger right at the trans. No lines forward to the radiator.

In general; return oil **usually** goes to the rear of the trans as the front pump at the front of the trans supplies oil to that area.
That said the lines are short as the heat exchanger is bolted right to the trans on the right side.

Be sure to keep lube pumping into the trans return line while the engine is running!
Old 08-13-18, 05:17 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

so has anyone tried this with higher mileage? i'm afraid that something will go wrong after replacing the fluid. when i worked at a chain automotive repair facility, i witnessed high mileage cars come in for a trans flush, it was completed then there were transmission problems. one to the point where we couldn't even back the car out of the bay. as a result, the store stopped doing flushes on vehicles with anything higher than 75k miles, unless there was documentation that i was previously completed at a certain service interval. i haven't noticed anything wrong with this new to me car (hand me down from my wife since she got a new truck). but since the LS has 197k on it, i'm not sure if i should just roll with it and leave things be (if it's not broke, don't fix it, lol). when my wife owned the car we had a trans flush done at the shop where i worked. shortly after, we were taking a day trip which was cut short b/c one of the trans hoses wasn't tightened enough and ended up leaking fluid to the point where it couldn't be driven. the shop ended up replacing with a used lower mileage transmission which was installed by a shop that only repaired/replaced transmissions. i think that was around 100k and i was told the replacement transmission had about 75-80k miles.

now that i'm driving the car, i want to take better care of it. so i would like to do this, but just not sure if i should.
The following users liked this post:
oldskewel (09-26-18)
Old 08-13-18, 07:28 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 681 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by ebxgsxr
so has anyone tried this with higher mileage? i'm afraid that something will go wrong after replacing the fluid. when i worked at a chain automotive repair facility, i witnessed high mileage cars come in for a trans flush, it was completed then there were transmission problems. one to the point where we couldn't even back the car out of the bay. as a result, the store stopped doing flushes on vehicles with anything higher than 75k miles, unless there was documentation that i was previously completed at a certain service interval. i haven't noticed anything wrong with this new to me car (hand me down from my wife since she got a new truck). but since the LS has 197k on it, i'm not sure if i should just roll with it and leave things be (if it's not broke, don't fix it, lol). when my wife owned the car we had a trans flush done at the shop where i worked. shortly after, we were taking a day trip which was cut short b/c one of the trans hoses wasn't tightened enough and ended up leaking fluid to the point where it couldn't be driven. the shop ended up replacing with a used lower mileage transmission which was installed by a shop that only repaired/replaced transmissions. i think that was around 100k and i was told the replacement transmission had about 75-80k miles.

now that i'm driving the car, i want to take better care of it. so i would like to do this, but just not sure if i should.
The general Rule-of-thumb is to inspect the existing ATF. If you see small particles in the ATF, or if it smells burnt - do not flush.

Please take a look at Post #14 on the link below for possible explanation...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...uid-flush.html