LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Another nav update disc thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-17, 12:51 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 276 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Another nav update disc thread

At the time I purchased my 2001 LS430 in 2010, I updated my original nav disc with a disc purchased at Lexus with part # PT219-Gen 23-09 Ver 9.1 Today my Lexus dealership told me the very latest and last version for my car is Part# PT219-GN23E-13 I'm assume I'm looking at 4 years of additional data from 9.1 to 13. Is it really worth any effort for just 4 years? In addition the price at the dealership is $169 which isn't going to happen, but on Ebay with the same part number they advertise as "NEW" the same disc for $29.95. If it is a copy can it still be advertised as New? Should it come in a plastic Toyota/Lexus case sealed to substantiate it not being a copy but an original? It doesn't take much to mess up our primitive electronics and I want to make sure if I update no harm or changes other than some additional data will be the outcome. All feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-31-17, 01:04 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I didn't give it any thought, but I guess I should have put one and one together. I got one on eBay for $12.95 prior to even physically having a LS430. Then, when I got the car I put it in, and somebody told me I put in a pirated copy, and I should have bought an authorized copy (looking back I dunno why I was supposed to feel bad about it). I went to the website that the person linked to, and basically found what I believe is a website selling the same for more (no physical address, no tel# to call, etc.--so what's the difference except a higher price of about $50).

Anyway, I don't know what the difference actually would be, the disc that came out was from 2005, and the one that went in was 2016 version 15.1. It was a PITA to install in the trunk so I doubt I would do it again. I just use the display as a map oriented north, that's about it. The disc looks the same as what came out, and it came in a case you would get online, not a jewel case but one that flips open and shut. If someone sells it for $12, and another for $69, outside of the dealership, I see no reason to pay $69 or $49. For all we know, they are like OE parts--I was told when it is sourced from Japan, suddenly a $212 part can be sold for $85 new on eBay. But when it is sourced from the USA, suddenly 31% off list is about the best it can be sold discounted retail. Without getting into morals and ethics the $12.95 eBay discs do work, you'll see sellers with 9x% positive feedback and 385 discs sold.....just looked and the price today is $9.95 with free shipping....

edit we were discussing at work distribution etc. of something else, and we refer to goods that didn't go through the normal channels as gray goods. If we are talking about a moonlight pearl drip rail that lists for $212, do I care if it came from a Japanese distributor and I put it on my roof at $85, instead of $146 from parts.com? Guess what I'm saying is the discs looked the same to me, it wasn't as if it was burned out of someone's home.....

Last edited by Johnhav430; 08-31-17 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-01-17, 03:59 PM
PearlUni05
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone on here recommended I get one off of Ebay as well. I was skeptical and didn't want to hurt any of my electronics. I was going to get the original at retail, but after doing some research many have bought the Ebay disc and had no issues. I got it for $12.95 and free shipping, I even bought one for my buddy's LS as well. It works like a charm and is the latest and greatest Ver. 15.1. However I reverted back to my Ver 4.1 as I lost the ability to override the NAV system with the updated disc. I would definitely give the Ebay one a try....it works!
Old 09-01-17, 05:35 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PearlUni05
Someone on here recommended I get one off of Ebay as well. I was skeptical and didn't want to hurt any of my electronics. I was going to get the original at retail, but after doing some research many have bought the Ebay disc and had no issues. I got it for $12.95 and free shipping, I even bought one for my buddy's LS as well. It works like a charm and is the latest and greatest Ver. 15.1. However I reverted back to my Ver 4.1 as I lost the ability to override the NAV system with the updated disc. I would definitely give the Ebay one a try....it works!
My LS430 is a 2001 and the absolute latest version for my car is a 13.1.......so what you have with the 15.1 doesn't help me as Toyota/Lexus never made a later version than the 13.1 for the Gen 2/3 Nav for my car.
Old 09-01-17, 05:43 PM
PearlUni05
Driver

Ok, didn't realize you had a gen 2/3 as mine is a gen 4. At this point if you use your navigation often then I would get the updated disc, if not stick to what you have.
Old 09-01-17, 07:01 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
At the time I purchased my 2001 LS430 in 2010, I updated my original nav disc with a disc purchased at Lexus with part # PT219-Gen 23-09 Ver 9.1 Today my Lexus dealership told me the very latest and last version for my car is Part# PT219-GN23E-13 I'm assume I'm looking at 4 years of additional data from 9.1 to 13. Is it really worth any effort for just 4 years? In addition the price at the dealership is $169 which isn't going to happen, but on Ebay with the same part number they advertise as "NEW" the same disc for $29.95. If it is a copy can it still be advertised as New? Should it come in a plastic Toyota/Lexus case sealed to substantiate it not being a copy but an original? It doesn't take much to mess up our primitive electronics and I want to make sure if I update no harm or changes other than some additional data will be the outcome. All feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I purchased an update disc off of eBay last fall after I bought my car because it had the original disc in the player (2004) and therefore didn't have the street that I lived on in the database. I didn't feel like paying full price for one at the dealer with the graphics of the system being so antiquated. The quality of the disc that I got is very good for being a non official copy. I can tell because I used to support our duplication equipment where I used to work back about 10 years ago. I suspect the guy that I got my disc from has access to a pretty good CD/DVD printer. I have now used the disc without issue for roughly 10 months now.

If you do buy a disc from eBay don't use it if the label is simply a sticker covering the surface of the disc. These are the ones that will wreck your drive.

How often do you really use your Nav to route to a location? Do you have a smartphone?
Old 09-02-17, 02:52 PM
02lex430
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default unable to read data message

I just bought a 2002 lexus ls430 and when i turn it on i get this message. Should i just buy a new disc off ebay as you were talkiong about? and if so, does anybody know the latest model for a 2002?
Attached Thumbnails Another nav update disc thread-resized_20170902_143422.jpg  
Old 09-02-17, 06:39 PM
PearlUni05
Driver

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
My LS430 is a 2001 and the absolute latest version for my car is a 13.1.......so what you have with the 15.1 doesn't help me as Toyota/Lexus never made a later version than the 13.1 for the Gen 2/3 Nav for my car.

The latest version is stated above by Bocatrip and can be had from Ebay cheap. I would suggest reading thru this thread so you know exactly what to look for. Trying an Ebay disk would be a cheap way to check and see if its just the dvd need replacing.
Old 09-02-17, 06:52 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

It's hit or miss on the ebay illegal copies... see a thread every few months with a message like the above, or I put in the update and my nav is frozen, or nav is in Japanese now, how do I change it back, etc

Personally, I buy original.
Old 09-03-17, 10:35 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

I've read the description for one of the bigger sellers on ebay for the $29.95 disc....Not responsible for any damage to GPS system and to use at your own risk. That to me is enough to pay the big bucks through the dealer for insurance that my GPS will still be working after installing the disc. For the extra $130 I should still have a working GPS system. Personally, I'm not taking the chance even though others may be fine with it.
Old 09-03-17, 11:14 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Last month, I bought 15.1 on Amazon for $34. Described as new OEM. Got exactly as advertised (original plastic case, pristine disc). Shipper in So Cal. Just checked. They sold all the new ones. Current listing is "used" but it's worth shopping for another source.
The following users liked this post:
02lex430 (09-05-17)
Old 09-03-17, 01:34 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

I just contacted the seller on eBay with the highest rating and the disc that looks identical to OEM for $29.95. He responded by saying it is Not OEM and that I would have to go to dealership for the actual OEM disc. I also asked if his was a copy but did not get a response. Why do they show from what I can tell is an identical label to the OEM has made by Denso in Japan? Misleading????
Old 09-03-17, 04:24 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

This thread got me curious again, so I looked at my eBay history....the place I bought from a year ago still has 99% positive. Go to his store, he has ZERO Toyota discs for sale. A new Corvette GM. BMW 2015. Mercedes 2016. Mercedes 2007-08???? Jeep. Could it be these are legit discs that came out of other cars? Why BMW 2015, why not an unlimited qty. of the latest/greatest?? I remember putting my 2016 and 2005 side by side, and they looked the same as far as type of label goes etc. I didn't have any trouble with it for almost a year. Again, the fact that this seller has ZERO Toyota discs for sale right now I dunno implies he hasn't got any....and maybe he's not just simply creating them.
Old 09-03-17, 11:21 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

eBay and Amazon both go after people showing OEM pictures and sending fakes. It's called fraud. Report them and the seller won't be there for long. Contact your credit card company and ask charges be reversed.

For 34, I got OEM with info and graphics printed on, quality clip close plastic case and copyright icon. I did free shipping but it showed up in 2 days. Unfortunately Amazon seller sold out very quickly. I mention because low price doesn't automatically mean fakes.
Old 09-04-17, 03:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Again, my 2016 for $12.95, when laid side by side with the 2005 (I assume original), looked the same, not homemade. The seller 1 year later has 99% positive on eBay, and ZERO Toyota discs for sale, and as mentioned 2015 BMW. Why not 2017 BMW?

Look at Samsung Galaxy S7's for Verizon which I'm interested in. An eBay seller has been selling new in box, sealed, Verizon models for $319, hundreds steadily. A colleague at work whose phone is provided by the firm paid $29.99 from Verizon. imho it has to do with distribution, both phones are legit and will work. If not legit, they are not going to work on the Verizon network.

Never thought of this--to me, a 2005 disc is worth a fraction of $12.95, maybe $0.85. But to a person who has no disc at all, maybe it's worth $4. We may be overanalyzing this topic. eBay is nearly a perfect market. Those who rip people off can't stay there for long. And if a buyer really wants to do it over $13, he/she has recourse. If I were to sell my 2005 disc on eBay for $4, it's a legit disc.

edit: I'll also mention this, credit card cos. don't really protect consumers when say they knowlingly subscribe to vitamins or belly fat burners or male you know what, and then are dissatisfied with the actual product, they usually side with the merchant if it can be shown the consumer actually agreed to the transaction and initiated it. They do side with the consumer on fraudulent transactions, say you get skimmed and suddenly there is a $8k charge in Sri Lanka (happened to me). Seriously. It's more caveat emptor. eBay does tend to be a little biased to the buyer.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 09-04-17 at 03:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Another nav update disc thread