Techstream tis mini works

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-18, 02:07 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

[QUOTE=02Legend;9983629]
Originally Posted by LS430cb

You don't have to run it on XP, but it requires some additional steps to get it to work with Windows 7 64bit. I did it at one point, however I run virtual machines on my Macbook, but just found it easier to just set it up on XP.
Techstream sounds useful. Plug and play on a MacBook running 10.13? USB connect?
Old 06-03-18, 04:00 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

[quote=tallcaguy;10215119]
Originally Posted by 02Legend
Techstream sounds useful. Plug and play on a MacBook running 10.13? USB connect?
Not quite. With a Macbook, you will need to run an application (VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop) in order to run Windows for Techstream to work, or dual boot using the built in application called bootcamp. Either way, Techstream only runs on Windows OS. There are a few different forums and websites that walk through the installation of Techstream and using the the USB/MVCI cable. This is the cable I purchased a few years ago and have had no problems:

Last edited by RA40; 05-10-19 at 05:47 PM. Reason: link removed
Old 06-05-18, 09:15 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Techstream looks pretty cool. I've got Parallel's so I'll get the cable. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-05-18, 09:24 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 746 Likes on 528 Posts

Again, watch for viruses and trojans. It's best if you can run this on a machine without network capability. I will say that getting it to run on Windows 7 64bit took some doing. A few Google searches and I finally got everything to work. I don't know if it's just my old netbook, but it does run a little slow...the whole process. Still, pretty handy to have when you need it.
Old 05-08-19, 03:58 PM
Hugh9591
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default techstream was challenging

Wow...that was a difficult experience. Last night, after a few hours (and a futile attempt to load it on a 1999 notebook computer that was more comfortable with Windows 98 than with XP) I got Techstream to link with my car using my 2015 notebook and a virtual machine image of XP. I should have done the work then, but it was late, it was dark, and I was tired. I came back this morning and Oracle and Windows refused to work. I spent all day trying to get a new virtual machine up and running...no luck. Finally, I got a virtual machine running on my 2012 notebook. I made all the changes I wanted...I don't know if I will ever be able to go through all of that again.
Old 05-08-19, 06:48 PM
biosurfer1
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I just got my techstream earlier this week and just by dumb luck, I had an old laptop running 32 bit windows XP. Took about 10 minutes to install the software and it connected right away to my car and made all the changes that were driving me crazy, less than 30 minutes from start to finish.

If it were me, I'd jump on Craigslist and find an old laptop to dedicate to it.
Old 05-08-19, 07:11 PM
Hugh9591
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have an old laptop that runs XP; but it did not want to talk with my car. My frustration was my fault; if I had just made the changes last night it would have been fine. But no, I had to go to bed. But I got it working now so it is now just chaos remembered fondly....aka...comedy.
Old 05-09-19, 12:46 AM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Tagging for further research
Old 05-10-19, 09:56 AM
tbdxb
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hugh9591
I got Techstream to link with my car using my 2015 notebook and a virtual machine image of XP.
Cool, that is what I was thinking doing since I don't have an XP laptop left. Surprised though that it worked once and then no more....

Which Techstream version do you use on XP? 10.10.018 I suppose?

Which version should I be using on a 2012 IS250 (US specs)? Would that version 10 be working or would I need something newer?
Old 05-10-19, 10:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Are the issues software, or hardware, related? I know with the BMW software, my 2008 ThinkPad Win7 could not handle, so to my dismay, I had to install it on my regular 2015 ThinkPad. I had wanted to keep that away from everyone and free of bloatware etc. I'll look at it and it has my wife's friend's gmail logged out. I get no respect I tell ya.....I am thinking of getting techstream and I do have a 2012 laptop to use soley for it. I just don't want to get into hours of trying to get something to work....never know if the software is not authorized, or hardware is not high enough specs. The BMW software was almost 4 gb of disk space that it occupies. Very not user friendly either (yeah you can do everything the dealer does and see how hard it is for them to do simple things too!)....
Old 05-10-19, 10:18 AM
HauntedKen
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Are the issues software, or hardware, related?"

The real issue is, that requires all of these convoluted workarounds, you are trying to make pirated, stolen Toyota software work. I have said this before on other replies, but I will say it again because it needs saying:

I really hate to be a spoil sport, but please keep in mind that the software included with the cable sold on amazon.com is pirated, or put less kindly, stolen from Toyota. I have examined the mini CD shipped with the cable and it does contain malware. If you choose to install this pirated software please, please do yourself a favor and only install on a computer that does not connect to your home network, has no access to the internet, and contains no information you would not gladly hand over to an identity thief. Protecting IP and data security have been my business for decades and I can guarantee you that others who have loaded this pirated software have had their home networks and private financial information compromised.

Let's not fool ourselves, if you buy the cable with pirated software you are buying stolen property, nothing more and nothing less. Please don't try to justify buying pirated, stolen copies of software because you don't want to pay the owner's price. That argument, if applied to all commerce, would justify any theft and illegal duplication as long as the authentic item's cost was "too high".

The cable is only a connection between your car's systems and the copyrighted Toyota software. There are several programs that will read the codes that you can purchase legally, but only the Toyota software will do the deep diagnostics and customization you are after.

All of the vendors on both amazon.com and eBay.com are selling illegal, pirated software. No exceptions. The various versions of Techstream were cracked by Chinese hackers who were kind enough to include free malware with every copy. Again, no exceptions.

Please give serious consideration to not purchasing pirated software on amazon.com or anywhere else.
Old 05-10-19, 10:39 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by HauntedKen
"Are the issues software, or hardware, related?"

The real issue is, that requires all of these convoluted workarounds, you are trying to make pirated, stolen Toyota software work. I have said this before on other replies, but I will say it again because it needs saying:

I really hate to be a spoil sport, but please keep in mind that the software included with the cable sold on amazon.com is pirated, or put less kindly, stolen from Toyota. I have examined the mini CD shipped with the cable and it does contain malware. If you choose to install this pirated software please, please do yourself a favor and only install on a computer that does not connect to your home network, has no access to the internet, and contains no information you would not gladly hand over to an identity thief. Protecting IP and data security have been my business for decades and I can guarantee you that others who have loaded this pirated software have had their home networks and private financial information compromised.

Let's not fool ourselves, if you buy the cable with pirated software you are buying stolen property, nothing more and nothing less. Please don't try to justify buying pirated, stolen copies of software because you don't want to pay the owner's price. That argument, if applied to all commerce, would justify any theft and illegal duplication as long as the authentic item's cost was "too high".

The cable is only a connection between your car's systems and the copyrighted Toyota software. There are several programs that will read the codes that you can purchase legally, but only the Toyota software will do the deep diagnostics and customization you are after.

All of the vendors on both amazon.com and eBay.com are selling illegal, pirated software. No exceptions. The various versions of Techstream were cracked by Chinese hackers who were kind enough to include free malware with every copy. Again, no exceptions.

Please give serious consideration to not purchasing pirated software on amazon.com or anywhere else.
Well you convinced me. We are too ***** nilly about it. The BMW software was almost $800 for a professional edition if I recall--I didn't get that so my version is limited to 3 VINs.

edit free malware that's funny, but no joke

Last edited by Johnhav430; 05-10-19 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-10-19, 11:05 AM
biosurfer1
Pole Position

It's very comical to say "I really hate to be a spoil sport" yet you constantly post the same broken record in every thread that comes up.

It would be nice to be able to afford to run to the dealer for every issue, but if they are going to continue to charge $189 to change my car so the doors unlock when I shift into park instead of staying locked, I'll continue to happily use a work around.
Old 05-10-19, 11:15 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by biosurfer1
It's very comical to say "I really hate to be a spoil sport" yet you constantly post the same broken record in every thread that comes up.

It would be nice to be able to afford to run to the dealer for every issue, but if they are going to continue to charge $189 to change my car so the doors unlock when I shift into park instead of staying locked, I'll continue to happily use a work around.
I can go either way, because even on the BMW forum people were saying why would you spend $800 when it's basically free, etc. Of course there are worse things that people can do. Some of the "free" people were burned with hours of effort, and nothing that worked, and, malware. We could even say why would amazon knowingly sell blah blah blah. When I was new here, someone blasted me for getting a then 2015 Toyota nav disc for $11, said it's pirated and that he paid $49. Well I went to that website and please, there's no address and no phone # as if that's legit. I probably will not get it as planned, but at the same time, I have nothing against folks who have it installed and are able to use it.
Old 05-10-19, 11:19 AM
biosurfer1
Pole Position

I could care less what other people do with their cars, especially if it doesn't affect me.

I just don't understand the need for someone to constantly inject their soapbox opinion. Maybe I just have better things to do with my time.

Quick Reply: Techstream tis mini works