LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

To all of those who have done the door lock actuator...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-17, 09:41 AM
KingLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To all of those who have done the door lock actuator...

Just tackled the drivers door lock actuator "motor" replacement this past weekend. Everything works great so far, BUT I seemed to have lost the feature that automatically unlocks the door when put into park. Is this merely something that I need to have reprogrammed at the dealer? Did you lose that feature as well when you did it?
Old 09-18-17, 12:00 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

haven't done that fix, but regardless its a programmable feature. Techstream doable or the dealer
Old 09-18-17, 12:41 PM
LS430cb
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KingLS
Just tackled the drivers door lock actuator "motor" replacement this past weekend. Everything works great so far, BUT I seemed to have lost the feature that automatically unlocks the door when put into park. Is this merely something that I need to have reprogrammed at the dealer? Did you lose that feature as well when you did it?
Was it hard? For some reason my keyhole is on the passenger side which means if my battery or remote fail I'm screwed. Need to fix ASAP.
Old 09-18-17, 04:33 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 157 Posts

You might try disconnecting your battery for a few minutes to reset the door ECM. There is an ECM in each door. After I did all 4 actuators I lost the same function on the passenger side. I actually took it apart again to make sure everything was correct. My total time from start to finish is about 15 minutes per door now.
Old 09-19-17, 08:30 AM
KingLS
Driver School Candidate

I'll try the battery trick here soon and report back. As far as the complexity of the job, it's not as bad as I had imagined. I did just replace the "little motor" inside the actuator assembly, although I never would've considered this without this forum.
Old 09-19-17, 12:51 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Please post if disconnecting the battery helps. I replaced the locks on my son's GS300 and it won't unlock when you open the door from the inside. It works on the driver's side but not the passenger which is one I replaced. That kills me and I can't imagine Lexus designed the car that way.

I replaced the actuators on my LS but it didn't affect the lock/unlock features. I will say that I did replace the whole actuator and not just the motor inside of the actuator on both my LS and GS.
Old 09-23-17, 07:49 PM
KingLS
Driver School Candidate

Disconnecting the battery did not help...I HOPE this is just something that needs to be done by techstream at dealer. (Could I have done something while in the door?!?) I'll report back when I know more...could be awhile, this isn't exactly keeping me awake at night.
Old 09-24-17, 05:56 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Are you sure you clocked the motor correctly?

Originally Posted by KingLS
Disconnecting the battery did not help...I HOPE this is just something that needs to be done by techstream at dealer. (Could I have done something while in the door?!?) I'll report back when I know more...could be awhile, this isn't exactly keeping me awake at night.
I haven't done this job in a long while, however I seem to remember having to clock the motor correctly in order to get it to sync with the switch operation. Meaning, if you hit the unlock button on the driver's door does the passenger lock? And vice versa? When you hit the lock button on the driver's door, does the passenger button unlock? I wrote it up in the mega thread several years ago when I did it. I posted a bunch of pics as well.

Randy B
Old 09-24-17, 07:02 PM
KingLS
Driver School Candidate

Lol! Yes, everything seems to be "clocked" appropriately. That's funny you chimed in, because upon researching this procedure on that mega thread, I was having serious doubts whether I should really attempt this when I came across the "clocking issues". BUT, the alternative was paying out the A** for the dealership or indy shop, so I figured for $6 it's worth a shot.