LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

The joys of used LS430 shopping...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-17, 04:36 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Here's one, looks decent on paper.....(for me I don't prefer white, do like the ecru)

http://www.nalleylexusroswell.com/Ve...-GA/3072474813
Old 09-24-17, 05:27 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Car dealers don't want to stock parts on their shelves (inventory is money not making money). Consequently most parts are ordered as needed and arrive the next day with overnight delivery from Lexus distributors.
Old 09-26-17, 07:05 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 743 Likes on 525 Posts

Today Westside Lexus got an 06 in with 38k on it. BOP over Ash with the 18" wheels and no navigation. One owner car sold and serviced by that dealership. Was asking $18,995. Told them I would be down on Friday to look, even though that was really out of my price range... not even an hour later it was sold.

The search continues.
Old 09-26-17, 07:47 PM
AtxLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am the ATX owner, of the LS430 that you looked at. I looked at 10-12 LS's, before getting mine. There are many that are much worse than they appear, and many that were not taken care of, especially since most have 100k+ miles. However, you may want to consider that your expectations, in a used vehicle that is 12 years old, and has 100-150k miles, are simply too high. I have test driven many cars, looked at well over 100 used cars in searching for cars for myself, and my wife. I know how bad they can be. However, I never once expected a seller, of a 12 year old car, to have the original manuals, all pamphlets, the leather cover, etc. It is a plus, but how can anyone expect that.

When you are looking for a used car that is 12 years old, and has 100k-150k miles, they are not going to be perfect. You are to expect minor scratches, minor interior issues, and even $1,000-$2,000 in preventative maintenance, that everyone should do immediately upon purchasing a new (used) car.

I feel bad that you drove up so far to look at mine, but I sent you 20+ photos of the car, and even took photos of every single "issue" that I could think of, so that you would not waste your time. Every button, every function, everything works perfectly on my LS. It has had the timing belt, water pump, oil, transmission, brakes, everything done, with records. I think that your standards, in what you are looking for, are simply too high, especially considering that you are trying to find one in the bottom-end of the price range ($8,500-$9,500).

You told me my tires are "rotted". I immediately went to Discount Tire, the same day that you left, because I could not believe that they were so bad. I told them that I would purchase tires "today", if I need them. They said they are fine, and measured all of them at 7/32. Not brand new, but not bad. Furthermore, they said the "rotting" was just typical minor cracking, and they see most tires having that, in TX. They said it was not an issue, unless it reached the sidewall, and they said the tread will certainly wear away, before that occurs. The tires were all from 2014, with one being from 2013. Hardly "old", and "rotted". A tire shop, who I told would have my business if they advised as such, told me not to buy tires. Furthermore, I told you it would need tires in the next year, or so. I also advised that it might need front brake pads, and spark plugs. All relatively minor issues, and they are only needed if you wanted everything 100%. I did think the color was a very dark blue, since the hood was slightly faded from the TX sun, but it is black. It looked blue because it needed a clay bar treatment. It now looks black, shiny, and amazing. Hardly a major issue. When I purchased it I was 500% more focused on major issues (engine, transmission, service records) than the exact color of the paint, or a barely noticeable scratch somewhere on the body.

You also complained of a minor wheel shake. I have never noticed that, unless on an uneven road, but certainly the car could probably use a rotation, or balancing. Hardly a major issue. The interior, no major issues to mention, aside from what one would expect in a 12 year old car (few scuffs under the navigation, minor wear on the armrest, etc). The laser system, sunshade, sunroof, windows, smart keys, all work perfectly. Sound system is excellent. Engine purrs like a kitten, and it shifts as smooth as butter.

I was so appalled that you thought my car was in bad condition, that I spent 5 hours detailing it (clay bar, wax, wash, etc) the next day. It looks exceptional. I have been stopped 5 times since, with the Auto store workers even gathering around to comment on how good it looked.

My point is simply that maybe you are looking for a brand new car, with the price of a 12 year old, 100k-150k car. The LS430's are amazing, but I am yet to see one that, when staring at from 6 in. away, was perfect. That is nearly impossible.

From my perspective, my car is a bargain at the price I wanted, and frankly, probably not worth selling. I love reading this forum, and have never posted before (was previously an ih8mud guy)....but going online and saying that every car you have seen has been "trashed", when I know mine is not, is a waste of people's time. I cannot imagine most members here all have LS's that are perfect, in every way. Cars are meant to be driven, and enjoyed. There is a reason you are able to now buy a 65k sedan, for $10k. It is because they are not brand new.

With all this being said, I think the LS430's are the best deal on the market, in a value sense. Everyone should be patient, and find a good one. Many need too much work, have been in accidents, or haven't been taken care of. Mine is a TX car, with records going back to new, all major work done, and it looks great (even my wife thinks so), yet you describe it as poor. If mine is poor, then I cannot imagine how you would describe most that I looked at. I drove one that needed $5-$7k worth of PM done, a huge gash down the whole passenger side, flat tires, and it was a 2005, sold for $12k (85k miles). You have to have perspective. I wouldn't have described it as being "poor" either, it just was not the car for me.

If you can find one that is perfect, then that would be great. If you only want one that is perfect, in every way, and would rather go without an LS, than have one with a few scratches, or scuffs, or some minor interior wear, then certainly, that is your choice. But, knowing what mine looks like, and seeing how you are describing it, I cannot imagine any car meeting your expectations.

These cars are amazing, and for only $8-14k, an amazing bargain for what you receive. Find one that has been taken care of, and one that does not have rust. Everything else (scratches, minor service), can be handled later, after you have begun to enjoy being an LS430 owner. If you become too obsessed with the small stuff, you will likely miss out on a great car.

I can tell you one thing. It is a good thing you aren't looking for a 100 Series Land Cruiser. People won't even mention if their seats are torn, as everyone just expects it. People only care about Cruisers major components, everything else is frivolous.

*** I have attached photos, taken this weekend, of my "poor condition" LS. I think it looks wonderful. I simply did a clay bar. 4 hours, and the car looked amazing. If someone disagrees, by all means, let me know. If you zoom in to the photos, you can likely find some blemishes, etc. Hardly enough to label it as being poor, I doubt. Point is, don't pass on great cars, over issues that can be taken care of in a day. It actually looks better now, than in these photos, since I have also done an interior detail, since I took these. ***

The following users liked this post:
powermerc (09-30-17)
Old 09-26-17, 08:04 PM
mykvr6
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova
Today Westside Lexus got an 06 in with 38k on it. BOP over Ash with the 18" wheels and no navigation. One owner car sold and serviced by that dealership. Was asking $18,995. Told them I would be down on Friday to look, even though that was really out of my price range... not even an hour later it was sold.

The search continues.
18995? geez.
Old 09-27-17, 05:21 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mykvr6
18995? geez.
That's pretty outrageous, but you know how the saying goes about a **** and his money......the low mileage is of questionable benefit. The insurance man sells with this concept. Your diamond engagement ring is appraised and insured for $20k (premium based on that), when it only costs $5k wholesale (for them to replace). Your home is insured for $700k, when it only costs $180k to rebuild. Extended warranty, do you want 6/70, 6/100, 7/70, 7/100, many times folks opt for the longer coverage and higher mileage, when they can't drive that far or won't drive that long.

If a LS430 is a 250-300k mile car, what difference does it make if the car has 38k or 80k?
Old 09-27-17, 06:40 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 86 Posts

There's a 2006 locally with 54k:

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/c...306397174.html

A little high price I think.
Old 09-27-17, 06:43 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 86 Posts

I've had my eye on this 06 black on black:
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/c...313881676.html

It's has been at that dealer for several months and there hasn't been any price changes.
Old 09-27-17, 07:49 AM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I have been watching this 06 with 66k miles. No price drops yet. $14,990.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8063/overview/
Old 09-27-17, 07:52 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bloomwcjkl
I have been watching this 06 with 66k miles. No price drops yet. $14,990.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8063/overview/
Seems like the car only went up to MN 2 1/2 yrs. ago, which I guess isn't bad? With ML (which it lacks), seems like the price would have been ok last year, but another year has gone by and it likely should be lower...mileage is in the sweet spot...I'd offer $12k take it or leave it, leave it is fine, no nav aka ML....

edit: changed my mind, $10,250 lol and willing to go up to $10,500. Anyway it's my observation, some of these originally FLA cars have pretty low annual miles. Once you see the vehicle leave FLA, it tends to do a more typical 15k/yr or more, then get dumped, prolly because of the recommended services by a dealer (timing belt/water pump, LCAs, tranny drain/fill or not, etc.). I think the sweet spot is getting it from that low miles FLA owner pre dump...but at this age, it's hard...single owner cars negate the above, also more difficult. Trying to take that drive 40k miles in less than 1.5 yrs owner out of the mix, as they never had any long term plans...

Last edited by Johnhav430; 09-27-17 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-27-17, 08:06 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Interesting thread.......What the heck is wrong with Cypress Pearl? To each his own...but several of us on this forum have this color.

As for the car that was stated as poor then detailed.........Well I am extremely picky and detail oriented. I drove 6 hours to buy my car....Cypress Pearl but after I bought it I did put 2k into it ...preventative maintenance and fixing anything that wasnt perfect. I would agree that finding a perfect car is tough....but finding a real solid car that needs some TLC is no problem. The OP is picky...nothing wrong with that.....either pay some one to professionally detail and fix minor mechanical issues or get your hands dirty. As for the seller of the ( poor condition ) car.....u did a real nice job on the car....lesson learned......next time u go to sell a car, put the 4 hours into detailing before u list it.
Old 09-27-17, 08:25 AM
Tharper1
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Seems like the car only went up to MN 2 1/2 yrs. ago, which I guess isn't bad? With ML (which it lacks), seems like the price would have been ok last year, but another year has gone by and it likely should be lower...mileage is in the sweet spot...I'd offer $12k take it or leave it, leave it is fine, no nav aka ML....

edit: changed my mind, $11,250 lol and willing to go up to $11,500. Anyway it's my observation, some of these originally FLA cars have pretty low annual miles. Once you see the vehicle leave FLA, it tends to do a more typical 15k/yr or more, quickly. I think the sweet spot is getting it from that low miles FLA owner...but at this age, it's hard...
When that car first showed up there was it advertised at $13990. Then several weeks ago it jumped to $14990. You don't see many like it in MN because it's rear wheel drive and most people here want front wheel or 4 wheel. I looked for a LONG time. If I didn't already find ours (from Texas) I would be looking it over as a possible. Keep us posted if you check it out.

Last edited by Tharper1; 09-27-17 at 08:27 AM. Reason: sp
Old 09-27-17, 10:52 AM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Tharper1
When that car first showed up there was it advertised at $13990. Then several weeks ago it jumped to $14990. You don't see many like it in MN because it's rear wheel drive and most people here want front wheel or 4 wheel. I looked for a LONG time. If I didn't already find ours (from Texas) I would be looking it over as a possible. Keep us posted if you check it out.
I was thinking that the price went UP, not down. Interesting strategy to sell. I thought they had similar cars. I use a cars.com query and just glance at the list of cars every few days.
Old 09-27-17, 12:06 PM
Tharper1
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bloomwcjkl
I was thinking that the price went UP, not down. Interesting strategy to sell. I thought they had similar cars. I use a cars.com query and just glance at the list of cars every few days.
I was surprised that it went up too. Maybe they did some maintenance on it (new tires? etc). I get searches from several different sites so don't remember if cars.com was where I saw it. I initially figured it could be had somewhere in the 12k range. Which if it all checked out didn't sound too bad for around here. Not many LS430 show up in this area in good shape so choice is really pretty much non existent. I had to travel and bring mine back from Texas.
Old 09-27-17, 12:44 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

it's the "so don't delay, at once, supplies are running out...." Car sales is a game, unfortunately.....

I do feel like the pickings are not as good as last year, although I only look at '06's....

Quick Reply: The joys of used LS430 shopping...