LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 Steering issues.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-17 | 11:20 AM
Fussy
Driver School Candidate

Default LS430 Steering issues.

HI, I am new to this Forum although I have read hundreds of posts on here prior to purchasing a 2004 Lexus LS430.
Our car has all the toys in the back, Radar cruise, rear Camera, not air suspension but in Australia is not designated a CL or a UL.

The car itself drives very well, motor is quiet and smooth, transmission seamless except from first to second which is just perceptible, the car is in very good condition, has done 150,000 Km and was purchased with a Roadworthy Certificate.

Timing belt / serpentine are due, mechanics here say new water pump at second timing belt change but I will have them look at it when the belts are done by an independent.

Few issues: First off the telescopic steering motor does not work, tilt is fine and I want to have telescopic sorted.

*Worse though is the steering itself as she wanders about quite badly and if there is left camber on the road she will run off the road if your not careful same thing if there is right camber.
There is a distinct 'knock" sound from the steering column if you turn the wheel left / right whilst parked and this continues when you drive.

I have had a wheel alignment done and if you are on a road with zero camber she will drive straight if you let go of the wheel, after you make a turn the steering wheel will pretty much come back to center.

This steering column knock can sound like a chatter over some bumps making you think its coming from lower down is loose..

The wheel alignment fellow had a good look underneath and could not see anything obvious, if I didn't know better I would say it was a ball joint but they look good, or steering rack bushes?

The only other thing I would say is that there is more road noise on this car than I would have thought for a car in a $200,000 AU price bracket and after the steering is sorted I intend to get rid of those 245 /45/18 tires by putting 16 inch wheels on with 235/60.16 as I believe they will give a much softer and quieter ride with Michelin Primacy TS3 on.

I will also put sound proofing against the body hidden by the plastic wheel well covers, Dyna-mat and MLV, there is some wind noise from drivers window and the general 'Air" sound in the cabin appears to be road noise as it eases a lot on quiet tar.
If I can I will post video of steering issue and overall road sound to see what you think...

If someone can instruct me in how to upload a video I will do so, and perhaps some photos too to give an idea of her condition...

We also own a 1985 series 3 Xj6 Jaguar which has less road noise than the LS as does our 1995 Toyota Camry, by the way everything on that Camry works as it did in 2001 when I first drove her , hence I respect Toyota reliability which encouraged the LS430 purchase.

I do feel the LS is a great car for our long distance trips with its tech and safety features and for $16,000 Australia (we pay more for most things here) she was a very good buy.

I hope some of you here can make suggestions re steering cause I must say our 23 year old front wheel drive Camry steers much better (lighter) and I don't think that should be the case? Surely these cars have light, smooth steering..our LS feels heavy compared with the Camry and even the old Jaguar.

Cheers Paul.

Last edited by Fussy; 09-24-17 at 11:28 AM. Reason: spelling