LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2004 LS 430 Steering Issues.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-17, 09:50 PM
Fussy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 LS 430 Steering Issues.

Hi to everyone on this Forum, I've read hundreds of posts over the last 12 months and decided to purchase a 2004 LS430 with all the feature in the back, radar cruise and reversing camera.

Not air suspension model.

The car has 150,000 Km on it and is due for timing and serpentine belt which I will have done by an Independent Toyota mechanic.

The car is in very good condition but there are a couple of pending issues to deal with.

*Telescopic motor on steering column not working but tilt is fine, I will get that sorted.

*She wanders about on the road.

*If there is a left camber on the road she will pull hard left.

*If there is a right camber on the road she will pull right.

*I had Wheel alignment done and if she is in the crown of the road you can let go of the steering wheel and she will drive straight.

*There is a distinct "knocking" noise from the steering column if you move the steering wheel left to right while parked and this continues when driving around corners, over some bumps the front end seems to chatter although it would seem to be the steering column it also feels like something is loose below.

*The steering itself feels pretty stiff, harder to turn than a 1995 front wheel drive Toyota Camry we also own.

**After turning the steering wheel will pretty much come back to center.

The car recently passed a Roadworthy.

There is more road / wind noise than I would like but I will address that with sound proofing at least in the wheel wells behind the plastic covers probably Dyna-mat and MLV.

If anyone can instruct me on how to upload video / photos here I could do that if it would help with diagnosis.

The car has been serviced at Lexus in Melbourne and when I phoned them the fellow suggested a second hand steering column $1500 fitted...

We paid $16,500 for this car which would have cost close to $200,000 on the road here in Australia in 2004 so I knew I had to spend money re timing belt/ serpentine and possible a water pump although the Independent mechanic stated that the water pump would be done at the second timing belt change but he would check it.

Hope you people in the know here can assist cause really this car should have much better steering than a 23 year old Camry but at present it doesn't...its stiffer and the wander makes it disappointing indeed!

Thanks, "Fussy" Paul from Down Under.

Last edited by Fussy; 09-24-17 at 09:54 PM. Reason: information added.
Old 09-25-17, 09:00 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Did you have the alignment performed by Lexus? If so they should have verified that your shocks and control arm bushings, ball joints were in good shape before doing the alignment. I'd have Lexus check and verify the health and condition of steering box, struts, ball joints, and control arm bushings. If all are in good shape I'd be looking at the tires and wheels. Make sure they are OEM spec'd wheels and tires (oversized, non OEM offset, and spacers can easily result is squirrelly handling).

Also owners over the years have reported that their weird handling and steering issues sometimes went away after changing/upgrading to high quality new tires.
Old 09-26-17, 12:22 AM
Fussy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering Issues.

Thanks for your reply Jabberwock.

No the wheel alignment was done by Independent.
I spoke to Lexus in Melbourne prior to purchasing the car as they were familiar with it having serviced it for some time and the fellow agreed there were steering issues but he spoke about replacing the steering column with a second hand one....not about wandering problems.

Lexus in Melbourne said they couldn't go in to detail about the car as I was not the owner but told me it was a great car, mind you this fellow was on a first name basis with the seller..

I believe I should contact them again and ask about the wandering problems now that I am the owner, I am hesitant to take it there as they will charge like wounded bulls.

But as I've read here ...get them to diagnose, quote and if its too expensive go to Independent.

It really does feel like something is loose on the front end although I suppose it could be the steering column which chatters over certain bumps..but would a column issue cause this wandering and general "torque Steer" feel round corners?

The tires are Continental and have worn a little uneven so yes new tires would help but I think it is more than that..

How do you feel about putting the 16 inch wheels on and going with 235/60/16 Michelin Primacy Ts3?

I believe this would improve ride quality and lower road noise considerably as the 245,45/18 are somewhat thumpy as far as I'm concerned because our old Xj6 1985 Jaguar does not thump as it rides on 15 inch wheels with 205/70/15 Michelin XM1 tires.

I don't know why such a well built car would have these issues..perhaps the front wheels hit something hard and was never fixed?
Old 09-26-17, 05:07 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

In the US unless your LS430 is a Sports Edition optioned car (with a small metal "Sports" badge on driver's side front fender) it would have come with 17 inch wheels and tires. I drove a test drove a couple of Sports optioned LS430s when I was looking for cars and I distinctly remember not liking the handling or the ride with stiffer sidewalls and bigger heavier wheels/tires. If it has 18s on it I'd consider going to OEM style 17s rather than 16s which I think would be too floaty and negatively affect handling.

Looseness in steering column seems less likely to cause issues you listed relative to other more common front end points of failure, but I would certainly talk with Lexus especially for their opinion on what happened to the steering column to make it feel that way and what specific parts have failed. If you can get very specific info on exactly what failed and how it failed, you might be able to source your own new or junkyard parts and get the column rebuilt yourself or by an independent lower cost shop for less that replacement cost.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 09-26-17 at 05:12 AM.
Old 09-27-17, 05:54 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The creeking noise you hear are ball joints, whether its upper or lower, the shop has to check. Wandering all over the road is most likely lower control arm bushings, both front and back. Either way prepare to shell out the cash: lower arms have to be changed because front bushings are not replaceable, each arm is ~$250, you need two. Each rear lower control arm bushing is ~$90, you need two and they have to be pressed in. If it's upper ball joints you need to change the whole arm assembly and they are about $400 each. Plus all the labor involved as well as an alignment. My advice is do all at once and use original parts - do it once and do it right.
The following users liked this post:
B767ed (08-12-19)