LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Low tire warning continues!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-17, 07:44 AM
milesdf
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Found it! Thanks!

With your help, I finally found the switch.
Strange hiw no one else seemed to know where the switch was, or were unable to describe it.
Thanks for your clear instructions!
Old 02-05-18, 05:02 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Mods, I cannot find any information in the LS430 FAQ thread about how to initialize the TPMS system. It might be nice to add this thread, especially Post #11 in there as I usually see someone asking about this topic fairly often...
The following users liked this post:
05ls430518 (09-12-20)
Old 02-05-18, 07:10 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Everyone needs to have an owners manual and actually read it. You can get a free one from mylexus.com. Just log in with your VIN No. and order it online. It's a long read with a lot of photos and all the info you mostly need to know to operate the car.
Old 02-05-18, 08:09 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
I have adjusted all the tires and reset the warning twice. It is OK for about 3 weeks and then comes back on and the pressures have NOT changed. Can the sensors that measure the wheel rotation get dirty ?
Have you performed a standard Initialization according to the procedure? Do you feel that during driving at speeds above 30 mph you need to constantly adjust steering for straight direction? What brand are your tires and what is the pressure and your style of driving?

In case if your wheel bearings are ok, you may be dealing with tire damage. For example, damage occurred under the threads. This will cause Low Tire warning signal to show even if your tires have even pressure. Remember, the system is not capable of knowing exact pressure due to lack of sensors (which is good), but rather rely on “other” information to determine if you have a problem over there.
Old 02-06-18, 10:39 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Everyone needs to have an owners manual and actually read it. You can get a free one from mylexus.com. Just log in with your VIN No. and order it online. It's a long read with a lot of photos and all the info you mostly need to know to operate the car.
Good advice Jay but the percentage of people who actually read the manual, much less the whole thing is depressingly small. The easiest way I've found to find information on almost anything is to simply Google it. It's actually how I first found out about this site while I was evaluating an LS430 for purchase. It's always nice when people do their homework first but for those that don't, the FAQ section is a big start for finding answers to your LS430 problems...
Old 02-06-18, 04:30 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Good advice Jay but the percentage of people who actually read the manual, much less the whole thing is depressingly small. The easiest way I've found to find information on almost anything is to simply Google it. It's actually how I first found out about this site while I was evaluating an LS430 for purchase. It's always nice when people do their homework first but for those that don't, the FAQ section is a big start for finding answers to your LS430 problems...
But the people who don't read the manual are really depriving themselves of knowing about the extensive features of the car they own. I guess people just don't have the time to read anything that can't be done in a few minutes!
Old 02-06-18, 04:55 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by ls430w140

Have you performed a standard Initialization according to the procedure? Do you feel that during driving at speeds above 30 mph you need to constantly adjust steering for straight direction? What brand are your tires and what is the pressure and your style of driving?

In case if your wheel bearings are ok, you may be dealing with tire damage. For example, damage occurred under the threads. This will cause Low Tire warning signal to show even if your tires have even pressure. Remember, the system is not capable of knowing exact pressure due to lack of sensors (which is good), but rather rely on “other” information to determine if you have a problem over there.
yes, twice as I stated in the original post. Th tires are wearing normally and the only pull is when on a crowned road and it pulls slightly to the right side as to be expected. Total mileage is only 63,000 so not likely that the suspension is worn. The tires are Michelin and about 50% wear.
Old 02-06-18, 06:11 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
yes, twice as I stated in the original post. Th tires are wearing normally and the only pull is when on a crowned road and it pulls slightly to the right side as to be expected. Total mileage is only 63,000 so not likely that the suspension is worn. The tires are Michelin and about 50% wear.
Ok.

Here are my next thoughts. Your tire verification system is working fine, we are looking here at 63k mileage and very low chance of ECU (ECM) malfunction. The system alert is triggered by differences at how effective your tires rotate. One or several of them may have something on the treads, or in worst case scenario the tire damage already occurred. I suggest to visit local tire shop and have them look at tires, and specifically if your treads are already forced inside or outside of the normal circle structure.

I am not a tire expert, but the case that I am describing happened to me a long time ago. Once the tires were replaced, LowTire warning never came back.

Question. When you drive high speed on the interstate and press the brake hard enough, does your car want to pull to the left or to the right?