LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

From Avalon to LS 430

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-17, 07:28 AM
cdcdguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From Avalon to LS 430

We currently have 3 Toyota Avalons. An 03,11 and 2014. The 03 is my favorite. I have always thought this generation Lexus would be like the next level for me. I know the Lexus it a bit bigger, RWD and V8. I actually think the 2 cars look a bit alike. The 03 Avalon is a soft as can be on the road and to sit in. Would this Lexus be the car for me?
Old 09-26-17, 07:35 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I have never driven an Avalon--I was actually disappointed when the style changed from the '99 to the next gen. If I had to take an educated guess, I would say yes, the LS430 would be pleasing to you. It is a fairly high quality auto, and should be a step up from an Avalon. If the Avalon is equivalent to a Maxima (which I own), then the LS430 is definitely an upgrade. Good luck...
Old 09-26-17, 08:09 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 446 Likes on 368 Posts

It's a pretty big upgrade from the older Avalons. I think you would like it.
Old 09-26-17, 09:15 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

More weight, more HP, more silent, mo' bettah!
Old 09-26-17, 09:16 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by cdcdguy
I actually think the 2 cars look a bit alike.
I have heard this many, many times over the last 3 years. When I briefly owned that Hyundai Veloster last year, the salesman thought that the LS was just Lexus' version of the Avalon. I gave him a tour of the car and he quickly realized they are 2 different animals.
And I've had friends say the same thing. "Just a nicer Avalon"...
To answer the question, yes, the LS would be a step up. A huge step up, but the ES350 would be a step up from the Avalon as well, although I suspect the interior volume of the ES is no doubt the same or a little less than the Avalon.

Happy hunting...
Old 09-26-17, 09:59 AM
cdcdguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
I have heard this many, many times over the last 3 years. When I briefly owned that Hyundai Veloster last year, the salesman thought that the LS was just Lexus' version of the Avalon. I gave him a tour of the car and he quickly realized they are 2 different animals.
And I've had friends say the same thing. "Just a nicer Avalon"...
To answer the question, yes, the LS would be a step up. A huge step up, but the ES350 would be a step up from the Avalon as well, although I suspect the interior volume of the ES is no doubt the same or a little less than the Avalon.

Happy hunting...
When we bought the 2011 Avalon, we test drove an almost new ES350. The Lexus interior was nicer, and it was a nice car, but the Avalon just felt roomier.

And another question please. While I much prefer the look of the LS generation 3, how do you all feel about the 4th generation LS? I am sure it's a nice car.
Old 09-27-17, 04:29 PM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Depending on who you ask, you will get different answers to that question... Many of us who are die-hard 3rd Gen fans don't like the 4th Gen cars, but there are just as many 4th Gen owners who were 3rd Gen owners until recently. I'm not a big fan of the styling, but I would like the longer Wheelbase and increased rear seat legroom on the stretch model. Nicer amenities on the 4th Gen car. I believe the 3rd Gen car is built better and is more reliable.
Head over to the 4th Gen forum and see what they say about the car...
Old 09-27-17, 04:42 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 379 Likes on 257 Posts

I have told this story before but worth repeating. When we were looking for a "new" car for the wife in '04 we test drove a lot of cars including Avalon's and GS models. We thought the Avalon was nice but since we were replacing the SC that went to the son we wanted to stay with Lexus. We were zeroing in a GS but ran across a used LS430 in a color the wife preferred.

After she test drove the '01 LS430, it was no contest for a new Avalon or a GS. We still have that car and also a '14 LS460 that she drives now. While you and yours are very loyal Avalon owners with 3 model years I am sure you will appreciate the LS platforms.

Finding a nice LS430 is a research project and takes time to find one in the proper condition and seekers have to go far. The LS460s are more prevalent but the earlier years have some gotcha's so most go for 2010 or newer with the 2013+ being a remodel year.

Good luck on your decision....

Last edited by Duck05; 09-27-17 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-27-17, 06:21 PM
Jkallinen
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
It's a pretty big upgrade from the older Avalons. I think you would like it.
Oh yes, traded off a 97 Avalon XLS with 227,565 miles for a 2002 LS430. There is a world of difference for the better in the 430 for sure.
Old 09-28-17, 12:08 AM
ALISC400
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cdcdguy
When we bought the 2011 Avalon, we test drove an almost new ES350. The Lexus interior was nicer, and it was a nice car, but the Avalon just felt roomier.

And another question please. While I much prefer the look of the LS generation 3, how do you all feel about the 4th generation LS? I am sure it's a nice car.
Personally, the ES is an upgraded Camry (like a luxury Camry with all the bell and whistles) to me. The Avalon is in the same league as a daily car when compared however, the LS competes within a different tier. Got to remember what the LS was trying to compete against.

The S class and the 7 series and some would even say Jaguar would be close for its era, affordable luxury without breaking the bank . Now the 01-03 is great and all (it has been spoken about a lot on the forums) but the 04-06 (low miles, well looked after) is still priced higher than the 07-08. Many owners wont sell that quick as it honestly is a benchmark for reliability. THIS does depend on what you're looking for. A daily? A weekend-er? A car for the school run or just a great drive now and again.

The 07-08 in some aspects is better (again argued in the forums) but you do pay a bit higher for all the upgrades. The LS430 seems quite cheap to maintain in the long run if you look after it but will last for quite a while. Again, personally this car on long trips is like a dream. Short trips are not bad but then again a V8 versus a V6 may be your point for fuel consumption. A well looked after LS will honestly be worth it even if you want to sell it after a while.
Old 09-28-17, 04:31 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Coming from our initial 95 Avalon and later a 2004 Avalon I always thought the flagship Toyota was just a baby Lexus. I was wrong. While there is a bit more interior room in the Avalon, which is why I bought it in the first place, it does not compare to the ride of the Lexus. The Lexus was designed to compete, as stated above, with higher end cars, and it does. The Avalon is a nice car, no doubt, but does not compete for ride quality with the Lexus. Even the 1st Lexus I bought, a 1993 LS400 was a better ride than my 2004 Avalon at the time. That's is what sold me. Can't speak to the 4th gen as the style just does not appeal to me yet....

This site may give you some comparison insights:
http://carsort.com/compare/Lexus-LS-vs-Toyota-Avalon

Last edited by Legender; 09-28-17 at 04:35 AM.
Old 09-28-17, 08:25 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I went from the Acura TL line to a 02 or 04 Avalon...cant remember. We called the Avalon the couch car because it had velour seats. This older a
Avalon had very light easy steering and it was easy to handle and park. I had no complaints about the ride but the car was killing my ego a bit. Since I loved the buttery smoothness of this Toyota I knew I had put Acura in my rear view mirror and started to look at Lexus. Well I had always loved the looks of the LS430 but could never afford a $65,000 dollar car. I ended up buying an 04 LS430 with 130k miles on it for $11k. In my opinion I still feel like I robbed a bank. Its like being upgraded to first class every time I open the big solid door and sit in my perforated ( heated and cooled ) leather seats surrounded by birds eye maple wood trim and every gadget u could possibly want. So yes I love my cruiser......she sits waxed and at the ready for weekend outings.

All that being said.........I dont think I would ever use this car as a daily driver. She is big...heavy....and geared for open roads. All of the modern cars are geared like little wind up toys so they can zip around town. Yes this car is fast and powerful but its fast in a bruiser kind of way....its not quick and nimble like u might want a daily driver to be.

So in trying to help u make your decision I have given u a few " feel " things to think about. I only drive my car on the weekends....usually to play golf ...run errands....or take the wife to dinner. Its my luxury cruiser. If your looking for a luxury cruiser there is no batter car then the LS430.

Good luck
Old 09-28-17, 10:05 AM
cdcdguy
Driver School Candidate

Thank to you all for the input! A little more info. I plan to use the car as a daily driver. I have a short mostly highway commute. Let's say I take an entire year to find the car I want. Let's say it's an 05. Now it's 13 years old. I could afford to spend on one under 100k on it. Can it still be reliable? My 03 Avalon is still my daily driver with zero issues. I have even flirted with the idea of finding another 03 Avalon with lower miles, but still thinking I am missing out with a Lexus. Soft, isolated smooth ride is what I am looking for.

It would seem more reasonable to look at an 07 or 08 for a little more money, but getting a newer car. Does that make it a better daily driver. I just can't get past how I love the 05 or 06 looks but the 07 looks so generic, but I am sure it's a good car.

Next at year I could probably spend in the 12 to 15 range. Are my hopes realistic ?
Old 09-28-17, 11:09 AM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

"No Issues" will vary a lot. Do you put new tires, brake pads, shocks, spark plugs, etc on your Avalon's?

I don't know if you can get a firm answer on "will the car be reliable". I think certainly the LS 430 are reliable cars. I have an 01 with 131k. I just did the timing belt (was original and in rough shape). I paid $5,400. I now have a rear tail light bulb, two low beam headlight bulbs and a timing belt change in the "fix/update" list. Bought in June. Very happy that I did the research and did the timing belt. It was a ticking time bomb. :-(

If you can find one with the deferred maintenance very low, it will be quite/very reliable. I still chuckle like a 16 year old driver when I drive mine. It is so smooth, quiet and powerful. I will fix issues that come up, just like I have done on all my previous cars. When you drive them, they wear out. There is an 04 with 98k in Minneapolis. Timing belt done within last 10k. $11,900. It is Gold. Some don't like gold. I think you have the right approach. Look at the 430s for sale, drive them if possible and see what the records/maintenance look like.
Old 09-28-17, 12:27 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

My daily driver is my 98 LS400 with 225K on it. I love the ride and the idea that I've got such a nice car that only paid about $3k for awhile back. It drives great and I know it has as good a reliability as the Avalon. A lot more engineering went into the LS than the Avalon and that's a known fact. I do 20 miles round trip every day to work, 15 on the freeway and the rest in the neighborhood. This car works for me.
Get what you like and enjoy. For me I love that I spent so little for such a nice ride.

Quick Reply: From Avalon to LS 430