LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

06ls430 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-17, 10:11 AM
atlls400
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 06ls430 Tires

I've searched and searched tire threads and some go back a ways and could not find one thats up to date I have 18inch michellin premiers on there now just got a quote for 1175 with a 70$ rebate

I'm considering the pirelli's or even the michelin sport

Can anyone talk me out of the premiers?

Thanks
Old 09-26-17, 10:20 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I want to get the Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s. The problem with Premiers (my wife has them) is they start with 8.5/32, not 11. Michelin claims they are good when new, and good when worn. Ok, my buddy did have his first set go beyond 60k, but his second set looks all cut up with pieces coming off. I told him my wife's are similar, and the official policy is that's ok for it to appear like chunks are falling off, it's not what's really happening. My wife noticed when parking at her friend's house that has stone on the driveway, the stones are glued to the tire. Something is odd about its tackiness, and she has to brush the stones off or they go flying everywhere in the wheel wells. So I don't want Premiers on my LS....

It does seem that the Pilot Sports are generally "too much" tire for this car, so I just want them. Any grand touring V rated tire will do fine....my .02
Old 09-26-17, 12:21 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

The Premier's were the best tire I had on my 06' hands down. If they wore out early, which only one pair did, the mileage guarantee made up for the new set. Costco did my last set before I sold the car.

Randy B
Old 09-26-17, 12:27 PM
Atomsplitr
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are looking for cheap quiet tires, I had a pretty good experience with these from walmart. Normally, I dont go this cheap but I only needed em for a month until my custom wheels came in My commute is about 130miles a day. The reviews on Walmart.con are pretty good too.
Attached Thumbnails 06ls430 Tires-screenshot_20170926-120954.jpg   06ls430 Tires-20170909_115030.jpg  
Old 09-26-17, 12:42 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Atomsplitr
If you are looking for cheap quiet tires, I had a pretty good experience with these from walmart. Normally, I dont go this cheap but I only needed em for a month until my custom wheels came in My commute is about 130miles a day. The reviews on Walmart.con are pretty good too.
My car came with Rydanz Roadster 02's. I've never bought cheap tires in my life, but I'm not going to throw away brand new tires either (these are sold at Mavis I think for about $90 each). Besides the jokes about using cheap tires, etc., it's almost 16k later without issues, rain, dry, etc. But again when I'm in the position to get new ones, right now planning on the A/S 3+'s. I get that Michelins are one of the best brands and you also pay for it. My wife's, my BMW, and my snows for the LS are all Michelins. BMW has Pilot Super Sports, and the LS Xice Xi3's, which are terrible. So Michelin is not perfect....
Old 09-26-17, 12:52 PM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I've put on several pairs of Milestar M932 purchased from eBay. Mounted/balanced locally. They are 50k tires and are very reasonable. Made in the USA. Quiet, smooth ride.
Old 09-26-17, 01:52 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts

I might have the same problem finding tires within the next year or so. I currently have the Primacys which everyone on this forum has always raved about. This is my second set as my first set were prorated due to sidewall cracking on all 4 tires after only 15,000 miles. MY current set has 15,000 miles and God are they now noisey!!!!! No matter as they don't make them anymore. I was thinking of going with the Premiers but I also realize they start with 8.5/32instead of the usual 11/32. The story Michelin gives about it not mattering to me is total BS. I get rid of my tires with anything under 4/32 due to the heavy rain here in Florida, and I want some meat on my tires when I need to make an emergency stop. I'm leaning towards the Pirelli P7s although they mention them not being great on wet surfaces. Not sure where to go but I still have some time. Too bad about the Premiers because Michelin usually makes a good tire.
Old 09-26-17, 02:51 PM
atlls400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I want to get the Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s. The problem with Premiers (my wife has them) is they start with 8.5/32, not 11. Michelin claims they are good when new, and good when worn. Ok, my buddy did have his first set go beyond 60k, but his second set looks all cut up with pieces coming off. I told him my wife's are similar, and the official policy is that's ok for it to appear like chunks are falling off, it's not what's really happening. My wife noticed when parking at her friend's house that has stone on the driveway, the stones are glued to the tire. Something is odd about its tackiness, and she has to brush the stones off or they go flying everywhere in the wheel wells. So I don't want Premiers on my LS....

It does seem that the Pilot Sports are generally "too much" tire for this car, so I just want them. Any grand touring V rated tire will do fine....my .02
Thanks for the feedback I'm all for too much tire as well please describe and there quiet right??
Old 09-26-17, 02:54 PM
atlls400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Atomsplitr
Walmart ha?? I don't know if I will take my ride to Walmart as I go there quite a bit lol but will check out there pricing
Old 09-26-17, 02:59 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Do yourself a favor and go to tirerack.com. There are reviews by thousands of people and tires are ranked through testing and owners' experiences.

I grabbed a set of Continentals at a great price compared to the "standard" recommendations on this site - and some characteristics were ranked as good, if not better.

They ship fast, and will ship to you or your installer.
Old 09-26-17, 06:08 PM
mykvr6
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Ill probably need new tires soon as well. My car has aftermarket 18's on it with 235/50-18's on it currently. What is the standard 18" size? 245/45-18?
Old 09-27-17, 05:04 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mykvr6
Ill probably need new tires soon as well. My car has aftermarket 18's on it with 235/50-18's on it currently. What is the standard 18" size? 245/45-18?
That is correct for 18's....again, imho tire performance is subjective, even for those online eTailers, and treadwear is self-reported so they can only be used to compare across the same mfg. (my BMW came with Bridgestone 140 A A tires that lasted over 40k, ultra high perf summer tires, so if the michelins are 600 AA A, they would last 170k? We know that's unlikely....

Nobody is likely to go wrong with any name brand grand touring or above with a V rating to match stock/OE...
Old 09-30-17, 04:36 AM
atlls400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by atlls400
I've searched and searched tire threads and some go back a ways and could not find one thats up to date I have 18inch michellin premiers on there now just got a quote for 1175 with a 70$ rebate

I'm considering the pirelli's or even the michelin sport

Can anyone talk me out of the premiers?

Thanks

Just an update I bought this car with around 86k on it, The Car already had Michelin Premiers bought at 65k at a Lexus dealer here in Atlanta area. I have 102k on the car now... I check the air pressure religiously however I did not do any tire rotations as the rear tires are shot and the front could prob go another 5-7k, So that gives these 1100$ Michelins around 37k give or take Could i have got more??? probably.

SO now I'm on my way to Discount Tire (considered Walmart but go look in the shop area at the 2 stores and then decide lol) Discount knows Tires

I'm going with Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tire as some folks are saying they are getting 50k on them and there quiet, I will update after I drive some I'm paying $775

Thanks again Everyone
Old 09-30-17, 04:50 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by atlls400
Just an update I bought this car with around 86k on it, The Car already had Michelin Premiers bought at 65k at a Lexus dealer here in Atlanta area. I have 102k on the car now... I check the air pressure religiously however I did not do any tire rotations as the rear tires are shot and the front could prob go another 5-7k, So that gives these 1100$ Michelins around 37k give or take Could i have got more??? probably.

SO now I'm on my way to Discount Tire (considered Walmart but go look in the shop area at the 2 stores and then decide lol) Discount knows Tires

I'm going with Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tire as some folks are saying they are getting 50k on them and there quiet, I will update after I drive some I'm paying $775

Thanks again Everyone
My mom had those on her Acura TSX until she drove on one flat (I told her mom you don't have runflats but it became an episode of Seinfeld, she got really angry, I think the missing wheel lock key put her over the top!), also my wife's cousin's husband put them on his 335xi, both thought they were excellent tires. I think they will be quite good for you. Again, me and the A/S 3+ is for no good reason other than that's what I've decided upon in my mind....are you going to get an alignment? Be curious how your rear camber is....my rear right was just out of spec at -1.9 and some say it's sagging springs that does it....
Old 09-30-17, 04:55 AM
atlls400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
My mom had those on her Acura TSX until she drove on one flat (I told her mom you don't have runflats but it became an episode of Seinfeld, she got really angry, I think the missing wheel lock key put her over the top!), also my wife's cousin's husband put them on his 335xi, both thought they were excellent tires. I think they will be quite good for you. Again, me and the A/S 3+ is for no good reason other than that's what I've decided upon in my mind....are you going to get an alignment? Be curious how your rear camber is....my rear right was just out of spec at -1.9 and some say it's sagging springs that does it....
Thanks for reminding me on the Alignment Yes will def do that I'm sure they will try and sell me that anyways I considered the A/S 3+ but I think it's overkill for our cars

Quick Reply: 06ls430 Tires