LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

bluetooth acts up routinely

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-17, 04:01 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default bluetooth acts up routinely

Over the last year, there have been many times when I was on a call, hung up (don't know which party), and another call comes in, and not through the car, on the phone.

Yesterday, I didn't realize my phone had not connected, and had to take a very important call (haha sounds ridiculous) and on the phone while driving. Put it this way, when our co. owners call, 24/7/365, I answer.

Anyway, no matter what I did, could not connect, and so I deleted the pairing both on the car, and my phone. Went to repair, and the phone did not see anything when it scanned. Decided ok, bluetooth is shot, prolly need to make other plans, time for a new car (joking). btw in the above, both sides were rebooted, phone 3X, and car shut off 2X.

After work, decided to give it one more try, and phone paired instantly.

Why I'm certain it's not my phone, is over the last 2 yrs., never had a single issue pairing with tens of dozens of rental cars, and with the LS set to add phone, the phone scanning and seeing nothing at all, imho points at the car. Likely the technology and firmware is simply too old, it's 10 yrs. older than the phone.....my .02....

p.s. the bluetooth module failed on my uncle's 2007 Acura RL and was the cause of a parasitic drain, where every 2 days, his car could not start if left in the garage. The dealer could not find the problem, but an indie did.
Old 09-29-17, 04:52 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Correct - old tech versus new tech.
Old 09-29-17, 08:04 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Yup, I couldn't get my Blackberry Z10 to pair consistently with the 2005 to save my life, so I never did get it to work. Now that I have an IPhone (got the latest and greatest 5S!) it pairs easily and every time. However, I still cannot get the phonebook to sync with the car, so, I have given up. It's rare for me to drive the 2005 anyway, so it's really not a problem. Like was stated previously, old BT tech trying to work with newer phone.
Old 09-29-17, 01:29 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 861 Likes on 649 Posts

Contact transfer in the 2010's and later is phone dependent, when another phone was connected
you had no access to phone numbers and or phone log.

The earlier years held phone numbers in the car for use with any phone connected. The (awkward)
work around now is to get an old (inactive) BlackBerry, enter any and all contacts, pair with Lexus and
transfer them over. Delete BB and use the contacts with newer devices.
Old 10-02-17, 10:28 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Contact transfer in the 2010's and later is phone dependent, when another phone was connected
you had no access to phone numbers and or phone log.

The earlier years held phone numbers in the car for use with any phone connected. The (awkward)
work around now is to get an old (inactive) BlackBerry, enter any and all contacts, pair with Lexus and
transfer them over. Delete BB and use the contacts with newer devices.
How new?

I had an Galaxy S5 when it first came out (2014), and that transferred in all my contacts...
Old 10-03-17, 10:54 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I couldn't get my 04 to connect to my iPhone the other day. Found that I had bluetooth turned off in my phone. I don't use my phone for anything other than phone calls and minimal texting (I am a proficient touch typist and I just can't find the keys in the point-and-touch method all the younger generation uses. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks!)
Old 10-03-17, 11:55 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Intermittent problems w/ my '04 and iPhone. I make calls w/ the car system then disconnect phone. I take the calls using iPhone speaker.
Old 10-03-17, 01:23 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I haven't had any problems since, knock on wood, and this was the first time that I tried deleting the phone from the car and adding back, in almost a year (and upon trying to scan for it phone did not see anything)...so I guess the moral of the story is even if at one point, you can't get it to connect, and if you delete you can't pair, it doesn't necessarily mean the system is shot...something is quirky....maybe it's subsequent reboots (by your parking the car and coming back later) that fixes things back...the not picking up every call I can live with, but if no bluetooth, dunno, might have to get a earpiece....
Old 10-18-17, 10:35 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

She acted up again yesterday and I was expecting an "important" phone call from a contractor. Here was the scenario--bluetooth already on in the office, went to car and left for home, no connection, can't scan for car, turning bluetooth off and on on phone, no dice.

Basically I turned the car off at the next stoplight. Turned bluetooth off phone. Started car and went. Turned bluetooth on, on phone. Connected right away. Dunno if the key is to have the car boot up, without bluetooth on.

Anyway, need to have my central a/c evap coils cleaned, it will need to be cut open. First place wanted $350. Saw this guy with 176 5-star ratings on Yelp. Angies list winner 3 yrs. in a row. On and on. He calls, asks why I feel I need to have the evap coils cleaned, tell him. He says ok. So I ask how much? He goes $54, unless I need to cut to get access. I said I think you do. He goes ok let's cross that bridge when we get there. I say but how much? Probably gonna be $80 in that case. So I say great, the reason I found you is that you have so many positive reviews online.

"Well, thank you. I just don't feel that everytime someone has trouble with their system, that it has to be thousands of dollars to fix."

Man, I don't know where these guys come from, but glad we have online media so we can find them...
Old 10-18-17, 11:42 AM
PolishDude
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Note 8 pairs with my car's bluetooth perfectly every time