LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

A650E Transmission swapped out but still flaring?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-17, 09:19 PM
kaizmauka
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default A650E Transmission swapped out but still flaring?

So I just had my transmission swapped out with a JDM A650E...obviously its a mystery transmission as I bought it for 300 bucks from a JDM importer...so not sure what it's been through..but it works at least.
Have not drove the car with the new tranny yet but the mechanic says it is drivable yet 'flaring'...this worries me since it sounds like it is doing what it was doing when my last transmission failed.

Mechanic says that he can try tuning the computer a bit but that's about it...so if this car fails on me again should i just give up and buy a new LS430? I just blew 1000 bucks on it last week to put new torque converter and pump...and this latest transmission swap cost about 1300...so about 2500 bucks into this now...but it's drivable now i guess...just worried shes gonna break down on me again!

Do you think transmission fluid level or type could be the culprit? Has anyone else ever bought a cheap JDM transmission and had flaring issues following install?
Old 10-04-17, 12:12 AM
kaizmauka
Driver

Could tge ECU or Neutral Saftey switch be to blame for all these issues im having?
Old 10-04-17, 05:09 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

A failing ECU has been reported in the past to cause intermittent AT issues.
Old 10-04-17, 05:56 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Clearly not a Lexus dealer, so no clue how mechanic will tune TCM (computer).
If it flares in all gears changes and lockup slips, that indicates it is low on line pressure. TCM, pump, valve body, pressure solenoid and oil volume are all suspect.
Line pressure needs checked. Once it slips under power it burns the clutches and they land in the pan. Trans fails.

Can you detail any further what all was done?
Trans has the cars original TCM, yes?
Old trans was slipping, got new front pump for suspect low pressure, new TC becuase its smart, fluid and filter and it flared on upshift. And used trans does the same thing so you have been told?
The following users liked this post:
kaizmauka (10-04-17)
Old 10-04-17, 09:49 AM
kaizmauka
Driver

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Clearly not a Lexus dealer, so no clue how mechanic will tune TCM (computer).
If it flares in all gears changes and lockup slips, that indicates it is low on line pressure. TCM, pump, valve body, pressure solenoid and oil volume are all suspect.
Line pressure needs checked. Once it slips under power it burns the clutches and they land in the pan. Trans fails.

Can you detail any further what all was done?
Trans has the cars original TCM, yes?
Old trans was slipping, got new front pump for suspect low pressure, new TC becuase its smart, fluid and filter and it flared on upshift. And used trans does the same thing so you have been told?
I am on my way to the shop now so I will bring all these issues up as soon as I get there...really hoping its something computer related so I don't have to pay for another one lol...
Anyhow, really appreciate your suggestions right now 2013fsport...you seem to have lots of insight into this.
So basically this all started with a transmission fluid leak...car acted like in neutral....had it brought to a tranny shop where they replaced exterior parts such as TQ, pump, seals, bushings...AND transmission mount...believe it or not the transmission mount had broken at some point...so maybe ever since that front end collision I had?!

Digressing....drove the origonal tranny with new aforementioned parts for another 400 miles before the same thing happened where it began slipping....so I had it towed to Lexus dealer to diagnose. They couldnt figure it out so thry suspected internal damage.
So then I had it towed to an independent mechanoc eho I had drop on a used JDM A650E which I found locally...he has just installed this yesterday and I am about to drive it shortly...it is drivable but flaring that's all I know right now...but I will bring all these issues up and perhaps swing by the Lexus dealership to see if tgey can tune the computer properly?
More details will come soon....I just better hope she doesnt break down on me a third time as I head back up to Canada...this is starting to get expensive!
Old 10-04-17, 12:47 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

It sounds like if the original leak was stopped, the original trans **might** still be alive. An auto trans has to have the correct fluid level to function properly.

Does this shop know this trans must be checked at a specified temperature? It is a lower temperature than most other manufacturers and is best done with Toyota TIS Techstream hardware and software.

These flare ups can be as simple as low fluid or a plugged filter. Please verify the Lexus/Toyota method was used to check the fluid level!

Again, I am not sure what programmimg can be done if any even by Toyota or Lexus. They may be able to read line pressure and establish it is below the required PSI and see other things but still....

Does the trans have the original TCM or was it replaced?
Last q? Was the original *repaired* trans low on fluid when it failed at 400mi? << Very important as it explains a lot.
kaizmauka (10-04-17)
Old 10-04-17, 01:18 PM
kaizmauka
Driver

It sounds like if the original leak was stopped, the original trans **might** still be alive. An auto trans has to have the correct fluid level to function properly.

Does this shop know this trans must be checked at a specified temperature? It is a lower temperature than most other manufacturers and is best done with Toyota TIS Techstream hardware and software.

These flare ups can be as simple as low fluid or a plugged filter. Please verify the Lexus/Toyota method was used to check the fluid level!

Again, I am not sure what programmimg can be done if any even by Toyota or Lexus. They may be able to read line pressure and establish it is below the required PSI and see other things but still....

Does the trans have the original TCM or was it replaced?
Last q? Was the original *repaired* trans low on fluid when it failed at 400mi? << Very important as it explains a lot.
So I really dont think it was the fluid level or ECU because 3 mechanics have checked these issues...the last mechanic has reprogrammed the ECU and does not believe it was the culprit.
So the new tranny is in...just drove the car up to Vancouver from Seattle...smooth ride...but...

...slight flaring occurs between 2nd and 3rd gear. So should I call the mechanic and ask him to save my old tranny...that would suck if the old tranny was still working..but then again I had 2 mechanics diagnose it as an internal issue.
Old 10-04-17, 03:19 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Just the 2 > 3 shift or are you afraid to open it up and find out in the other gears?

Nothing worse than a car you can't trust.... Well not entirely true but it's right up there....

As for keeping old trans, it must have a core value to someone. Although it likely not worth the drive or postage unless this one craps out. And we know slipping is not doing this one any lifelong favors...
kaizmauka (10-04-17)
Old 10-04-17, 05:04 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Sorry to hear about all the trans problems! Have to do repairs while on the road isn't fun. 2013, sounds like you know these cars very well. Transmission fluid temp (and correct procedure) is DEF important on the 04-06 sealed transmission to get the correct level. The '01 has a dipstick so it's a lot simpler.

What does "flaring up" mean? Slipping? Hard shifts?
Old 10-04-17, 09:28 PM
kaizmauka
Driver

Just the 2 > 3 shift or are you afraid to open it up and find out in the other gears?

Nothing worse than a car you can't trust.... Well not entirely true but it's right up there....

As for keeping old trans, it must have a core value to someone. Although it likely not worth the drive or postage unless this one craps out. And we know slipping is not doing this one any lifelong favors...

I have driven it in all gears and sometimes the power won't be there as quickly as normal but it is still there by all means....I would say there are a few miliseconds of delay that didn't used to be there especially when accelerating in the low gears (1-3). However it has not been a major issue so far...but I just fear that it will develop into something worse.

Regarding the flaring...what I mean by this is that when you reach about 2.8 K RPM there is a little slip between 2.8 to 3.1 K RPM where you see the dial sort of flare up briefly before shifting into 3rd....also I notice in general the RPMS seem to be going a bit higher than I remember but at least it is not downshifting a bunch like it was doing with the original tranny post-fix.

I have driven the new tranny about 300 miles and no problems so far...if anything it seems to be healing a bit (less flaring, but the power delay is what scares me the most...I agree with you, very annoying when you have to wait to get the power you want or it revs too high.

Also new development...when I picked it up from the shop it had the CHECK VSC warning...this has not gone away since I picked it up and I cannot turn on the traction control it seems. The tranny shop says it was like that when it arrived and they couldn't fix it...so this must have happened at the Lexus dealership and I have no idea how it might have started...have yet to call Lexus dealership to tell them about this.

Also....the check engine light is coming on and off...but it has been doing this ever since I bought the car at the beginning of this year. Most mechanics I see just reset it but it comes back randomly which drives me nuts because I cannot distinguish when there is an actual issue that I need to address...I want my check engine light to actually mean something!
Old 10-05-17, 06:12 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Honestly your story is heart wrenching in that you paid for services and it seems no one hit a homerun solving the issue.

If you happen to be on an Android phone grab an ELM OBDII Bluetooth adapter off fleabay for $20 and hit the App store and buy Torque Pro. Now you can read your own engine codes at least and more important is the ability to read DTC codes. These tell you what and when codes are triggured.

Glad you made it. Question. Any clue how miles are on the used trans and did you ever find out if the Transmission Computer Module (TCM) was swapped?
Seeings you spent time at the dealership, did they have anything to offer about this?

Last question; does it shift different in sport mode using the paddles? And what about power mode? Just thinking you need to reduce that over-rev flare or in time it will damage the trans.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-05-17, 06:38 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Honestly your story is heart wrenching in that you paid for services and it seems no one hit a homerun solving the issue.

If you happen to be on an Android phone grab an ELM OBDII Bluetooth adapter off fleabay for $20 and hit the App store and buy Torque Pro. Now you can read your own engine codes at least and more important is the ability to read DTC codes. These tell you what and when codes are triggured.

Glad you made it. Question. Any clue how miles are on the used trans and did you ever find out if the Transmission Computer Module (TCM) was swapped?
Seeings you spent time at the dealership, did they have anything to offer about this?

Last question; does it shift different in sport mode using the paddles? And what about power mode? Just thinking you need to reduce that over-rev flare or in time it will damage the trans.
Good luck and keep us posted.
this works well, seen it for $19.99 before (which is what I paid)

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-05-17, 09:01 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Yes glad you made it! Sorry to hear about all the problems. Unless I'm missing something, the original post for this was about transmission failure in an '01 LS. Are we talking about a 2001 transmission? Is a JDM A650E something else?
Old 10-06-17, 06:22 PM
kaizmauka
Driver

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Yes glad you made it! Sorry to hear about all the problems. Unless I'm missing something, the original post for this was about transmission failure in an '01 LS. Are we talking about a 2001 transmission? Is a JDM A650E something else?
The original transmission was a 2001' A650E from an American Lexus LS430...the transmission I had put in earlier this week is from Japan..it is probably from a Toyota Celsius..same car/ year just the Japanese version.
So far it's been driving alright but it judders a bit when going in reverse for some reason? Also the gears Rev a bit higher and longer before shifting. ..at least this is my perception.
Old 10-17-17, 09:24 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kaizmauka
The original transmission was a 2001' A650E from an American Lexus LS430...the transmission I had put in earlier this week is from Japan..it is probably from a Toyota Celsius..same car/ year just the Japanese version.
So far it's been driving alright but it judders a bit when going in reverse for some reason? Also the gears Rev a bit higher and longer before shifting. ..at least this is my perception.

You might check the version over there. Maybe they run different ratios in the rear and trans than us??