LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Another tire thread for the ls430

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-17, 05:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
It is against the law to install tires that are rated below the top rated speed of the vehicle. Higher rated tires such as V for our cars generally are stiffer (giving a harsher ride) and wear out much quicker. I tried the V tire on Michelin (Michelins are my tire of choice) and got only 34,000 miles compared to 49,000 miles with the H rated Michelin. Went back to the H rated tire.
LOL you've never been to W Phila or Bronx NY....plug runflats, mix and match, etc. Anything you want.
Old 10-12-17, 05:04 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob04
Mine are so bad in the rain that I wouldn't put them on a car for my wife or kid.
My buddy had Scorpions that came with the Navigator, said they were terrible....imho these are often just names today. Yeah, we all think back to Tom Cruise driving his dad's 928 in Risky Business, with P7s. I think it's just a name, like a Nathan's hot dog. It's a name that has been licensed to anybody that will pay, like Top Tier gasoline...etc. Sure it's made by Pirelli, but is it from Italy?
Old 10-12-17, 06:55 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have an appointment tomorrow to have Michelin Premier A/S (18") to be put on my Lexus. After many reviews and getting ready for putting tires on for the past year I decided to go with what I think is the best. I told my wife that with this car we would put the best on and I hope after $1300 later I'm not wrong. lol
Old 10-12-17, 07:05 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tradosauru
I have an appointment tomorrow to have Michelin Premier A/S (18") to be put on my Lexus. After many reviews and getting ready for putting tires on for the past year I decided to go with what I think is the best. I told my wife that with this car we would put the best on and I hope after $1300 later I'm not wrong. lol
I think (your choice) they actually are "the" best...I just have to be different and want Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s lol (these should have a shorter life than the Premier, and are "less appropriate" given the capabilities of the LS430)...good luck with the install!
Old 10-12-17, 12:46 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 746 Likes on 528 Posts

Looking for tires myself. Looking at the Falken Pro G4 A/S. Really don't need all season tires in Houston as it will never snow or freeze and my car never gets driven in the rain if I can help it. I looked at something more performance-oriented, but at the end of the day it's a big heavy car and I'm probably never going to do much suspension-wise other than a rear sway bar. All that being said, we will see how they do... headed down today or tomorrow to get them.
Old 10-12-17, 01:03 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

$1300 seems a little high.
Old 10-12-17, 01:31 PM
PCW
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

My Lexus dealer in Northern Virginia charges $268.50 per tire (Michelin Premier AS: 245/45R18) installed. That's $1074 for a set of 4.
Old 10-13-17, 02:40 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PCW
My Lexus dealer in Northern Virginia charges $268.50 per tire (Michelin Premier AS: 245/45R18) installed. That's $1074 for a set of 4.
Assuming one is a member, I would go to Costco. For us we would go to DE and then use the credit card that has a revolving 5% for warehouse clubs. Under these circumstances, the net net is less than online, and we can also pickup in DE from the online eTailer if we want, for no tax no shipping online. Costco still beats the out the door price, and then they provide road hazard and rotation (online now has a limited road hazard I guess to compete). One could probably join for a year just for the tires, and pay for the membership. my .02
Old 10-13-17, 08:55 AM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 376 Likes on 254 Posts

I have the MXV4s on the 430 now and was disappointed to read of their "demise". Still have quite a lot of life left on the tread...

The 460 has 31K on the OEM Bridgestone's and over there the P7s are favored. We have used Costco for years for passenger car tires and almost always bought Michelins so between the Pilots or Premieres will likely end up being the candidates. Costco, though, in CA now charges a $15 per tire mounting fee plus $3 per tire to address the TMPS sensors. Getting to $1300 for a whole set is not that out of scope....

The SC had low profile Falken and now Hankook on the rears as the high performance, sticky low profile tires wear quite quickly and are pricey ..... Not sure I would invest in those brands on a 430....
Old 10-13-17, 09:44 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

Considering I have over 50% tread left on my 17" Primacys, I'll probably put the set on Craigs list and easily get $100+ for the set of 4 after I get my P7s. I see them priced at way over $200 from tire dealers. It's easy enough and probably will be sold in a day as tires are so expensive these days.
Old 10-13-17, 12:36 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 746 Likes on 528 Posts

Happy so far with the Falken Pro G4's. $680 mounted and balanced from Discount Tire. Haven't been on the freeway yet or really had them up to speed... will report back when I do.
The following users liked this post:
2KHarrier (10-13-17)
Old 10-15-17, 10:02 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Discount Tire installed four (4) Michelin Premier A/S (245/45/18) on my Lexus this past Friday. Early that morning I had a 4 wheel alignment completed.
I can't say there is a large improvement in noise and handling but the road noise on back road I travel seems a little more muffled. Definitely wasn't a worse ride and drive experience.
I had Goodyear tires that came from the dealer 2 yrs ago.
Total cost including tire warranty and tax was $1337. That doesn't include the $70 Michelin rebate and a $30 Discount Tire card rebate.I also have 9 month no interest loan through the Discount Tire card.
I thought about trying the Nexen N5000 at the recommendation of another tire store (at half the cost) but with this Lexus I promised to put only the best on the car.
I do feel some vibration through the steering wheel at 65+ mph and the car pulls to the right more than I like on level road so I will have the alignment shop look at it again and have Discount Tire do a road force balance.
Old 10-15-17, 11:59 AM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Costco is having a Michelin promotion that ends tomorrow. $70 off a set of four, free mounting and balancing. It priced out to about $745 including Michigan tax for the "H" rated on a 17" wheel. My local Discount Tire will usually match the Costco price. Only difference is Discount Tire will offer you a extended road hazard warranty (they call them "certificates") for about $30 more per tire. I have purchased these in the past and have gotten my money's worth every time.

Last edited by LS430Lexus; 10-15-17 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-15-17, 01:18 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by sgretchko
Costco is having a Michelin promotion that ends tomorrow. $70 off a set of four, free mounting and balancing. It priced out to about $745 including Michigan tax for the "H" rated on a 17" wheel. My local Discount Tire will usually match the Costco price. Only difference is Discount Tire will offer you a extended road hazard warranty (they call them "certificates") for about $30 more per tire. I have purchased these in the past and have gotten my money's worth every time.
Personally, I always go with the V rated ties for my barge considering it's tendency to sway so much. The added grip with the stiffer sidewall does help somewhat while giving up the overall tread life which is secondary to me.
Old 10-15-17, 02:29 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have had primacys and comfortreds and P7 centurato V Rated with 55-60k warrantees. They always lasted long balanced well and where good in winter(Centurato the worst just took a while to break in). I had Primacy V and H and Comfortred V and H rated I have always felt a V had no liabilities versus an H just crisper tire in general no drawbacks in ride in the LS. Just me though I hear alot of people talk like it is a huge difference just never noticed that.

Quick Reply: Another tire thread for the ls430