LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Another tire thread for the ls430

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-17, 06:55 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by jpv7774
Now thats what I like......a review that you can tell isnt biased.....just a real life review. Thanks DESIGNDUDE.......your findings support what many have said about the tire.

Boca I cant wait to here your review........hope the tires work out for you as I am sure they will.
. Sorry guys. No reviews for at least another week. My tires are sitting in my hallway until I get my LCA bushings installed next week. Will report back after install of my P7s and alignment. Thanks for the positive vibes.
Old 10-29-17, 06:07 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
In a way, I feel that Firestone does a better job than BMW (who broke a sensor wire adjusting the rear toe), but I won't bring my BMW to them (go figure). I honestly feel the lifetime alignments which cost $170 to $190, are ones in which the house loses. I suppose if one shops around, an alignment can be as cheap as $60. Using that number, the break-even is 3. My wife has already had 2 in 6k, and I was contemplating bringing it back again cuz I scuffed a curb and was curious if the rear right is out again. On the LS430, I haven't gotten around to bringing it back, and prolly went 8k. I'd be curious to see if any numbers got worse, the rear right was -1.9 which was out of spec, wonder if it got worse or stayed put....at firestone they centered both wheels perfectly. At BMW, they failed to do that (probably laziness). Actually, I should go back and look at the BMW paperwork--I'd be curious if they set all the numbers in the center of the range. I admit, firestone attempts to make everything green, they don't necessarily adjust things to the middle of the range.
Now I can't say Firestone > BMW, they are with customer service (my theory has always been that poor customer service is tolerated at BMW because you're only there for 10 min. getting your loaner, and the majority of cars are leased and under full warranties and they did have free maintenance (this I heard has been severely reduced), so a real devil may care attitude. I've seen people come back to complain they don't like the color of their loaner--not a joke). but as mentioned in another thread, Firestone seems to be looking for green rectangles on the report, whereas BMW sets the vehicles to the middle of each value, even if already green. Leaving Firestone on Friday, the guy ahead of me was told, "That's one thousand, seven hundred, twenty-nine. Now you use the receipt and go online for your $60 rebate." Cashier was very polite, customer seemed delighted (I was thinking what could cost that much but it had to be tires--he pulled away in a Ford Edge). That little bit of being friendly while you are overcharging goes a very long way. BMW doesn't get that. Lexus does.

Again I cannot recommend Premiers which my wife has, again the 8.5/32 to start doesn't feel right, it has an odd tackiness, and even though rotated, it's like slivers and chunks of the tires detach. My friend said same on his car. So I dunno, I get that it could be newer technology, but I like the old technology. Seems like many tire cos. have now started at 10/32, effectively stealing 1/32 to start, but Michelin, 8.5.....lol they do because they can.
Old 10-29-17, 07:40 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Totally agree with losing that 1.5/32 with brand new tires. It doesn’t sit well with me either.
Old 11-01-17, 05:10 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just bought a set of Cooper RS3-G1s to test next summer.Will post results of use. Not expecting magical carpet feeling but expecting a solid planted minimal noise tire - we shall see.
Old 11-17-17, 09:58 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Still no feedback from the OP on the Pirelli P7s?????

I assume suspension work still hasnt been done so we get no feedback yet huh?

Still waiting......
Old 11-17-17, 01:45 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
My LS had its first alignment performed at 92k miles only because I replaced 2 front struts and the LCA bushings. Car has always tracked straight as an arrow and tires wear very evenly (rotated every 5k miles).
My LS has NEVER had an alignment since it rolled off the assembly line and is still on it's 2nd set of tires, worn very evenly. They're about done, though. You could say 2 and 1/4 set of tires because for a while I experimented with 16" wheels but eventually decided I liked the 17 inch wheels better.
Old 11-17-17, 02:44 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jpv7774
Still no feedback from the OP on the Pirelli P7s?????

I assume suspension work still hasnt been done so we get no feedback yet huh?

Still waiting......
Sorry JPV. Actually I did provide an initial review a week or so ago but started a new thread titled "

Very early pirelli p7 cinturato a/s plus 97v review" It is limited as I only had a very few miles on the car. As of now..... and after almost 350 miles. I love these tires!! Very quiet, handle well, absorb bumps well and seem to stick to the road. I have the V rated. The only thing I have not tested is rain as there as not been any lately. I do believe they have gotten somewhat quieter since they were first installed if that is possible. I did change my LCA bushings right before the tire installation and also got an alignment which by the way is now negative 1/10 into the red for my left rear camber. Hardly much and I was told to just do my regular 5,000 mile cross rotations and things will be fine. By the way... the Primacys that were removed after 16,000 miles were wearing evenly across all 4 tires. I sold all 4 yesterday on Craigs list to another owner of an LS430 who grabbed them up immediately upon my posting...( He traveled over 3 hrs to get them!). Yes, I feel I made a great decision with the P7s and until I get more miles on them and they are fully cured and hopefully without any noticeable tread wear uniformity issue, I'll give these tires a thumbs up! I'll pipe in with more info if anything changes.

Old 11-18-17, 02:51 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by campisi
My LS has NEVER had an alignment since it rolled off the assembly line and is still on it's 2nd set of tires, worn very evenly. They're about done, though. You could say 2 and 1/4 set of tires because for a while I experimented with 16" wheels but eventually decided I liked the 17 inch wheels better.
This is one of those YMMV. Combining physics, properties of rubber, etc., the over/under says your alignment is either not totally in spec, or totally out of spec. Eyeballing the tires is not a scientific way of evaluation. Plus, many dealers give you a free report because it's an upsell (when you pull in for service).

To your defense, I used your method with my BMW because I didn't feel like paying $130+ for an alignment at the dealer, and I didn't see anything up with the tires nor did the car fail to track straight etc. When I got new tires, I paid $150 for an alignment, and yes, everything was out in the high 40's on the odometer.
Old 11-18-17, 07:33 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

There u are Boca.......Sorry I missed your other thread...I often just log on and check subscribed threads........is it too late to tell you that I told you so???? Great tire.....and yes they actually get quieter and smoother after a few months of settling in. Im glad you are happy with your decision.....I wouldnt recommend something that I didnt 100% believe in. I am going on a road trip soon and cant wait to get the ole girl out on the open highway again.