LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

suspension- making car safe for daughter

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-17, 08:28 AM
gymraeg
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default suspension- making car safe for daughter

I have an '02 LS430 that now has 102k mi we inherited from my wife's grandmother a couple of years ago with ~50k mi. At ~88k I replaced the shocks, it has new tires and recent brake job. A knock and rattle have developed in the front end in the past couple months. I inspected the front suspension and found a torn tie rod boot and torn upper control arm boot. There is play also, so one of these is likely the knock culprit.
My teenage daughter is inheriting the car soon and I want make it safe and go ahead and knock everything out, refresh the suspension, instead of chasing one issue after another. I'm planning on replacing both side upper and lower control arms, sway bar link, inner tie rod, and both outer tie rod ends. Am I missing any other front suspension wear component? Anything in the rear suspension I should look for wearing out soon? I am hoping this car lasts her through high school and college. Except for normal wear items, the valve cover gasket is the only issue this car has ever had.
Old 10-23-17, 09:16 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 520 Posts

Maybe the hubs?
Old 10-23-17, 10:18 AM
FILTHEE
Driver School Candidate

On the front check the lower ball joints. On the rear check the end links and any bushings.
Old 10-23-17, 02:09 PM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Are you doing the work yourself? I would replace only the components that need replacing. A good independent mechanic should be able to inspect the suspension parts and replace the items that are worn.

You might spend half the value of the car if you go in and say "replace all these components". I'm sure a shop would gladly replace everything and take your money, but hopefully they would caution you to just replace parts that need replacing.

Good luck and keep the thread posted with what you find.
Old 10-23-17, 03:29 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Is there a particular reason you're changing the tie rods? Isn't it just the bushings that wear out?

A great Driver's Safety Course would do wonders, also...
Old 10-23-17, 05:16 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 272 Likes on 229 Posts

If not mentioned above... Definitely replace the notorious Lower Control Arm Fluid Filled Bushings! FYI.... Unless it's not true... I was told the lower control arms ordered from Lexus do not have the bushings included which sounds ludicrous! Whatever.
Old 10-24-17, 08:12 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 117 Posts

Don't forget to have the Timing Belt done as well if it hasn't already been done at that mileage.
Old 10-25-17, 10:27 AM
gymraeg
Driver School Candidate

It's pretty straight forward bolt off/bolt on job, so I will do it myself. My logic for doing everything now is that other parts will go bad probably sooner rather than later and I'd rather refresh the whole thing now. I ordered all the parts, mostly Moog, for under $500. That and a Saturday ought to get it done. Lexus shop wanted nearly $3k.
Old 01-29-18, 10:10 AM
Galco
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

gymraeg, curious how the suspension refresh turned out now that your daughter likely has some miles on the parts. Any clunks or noises? Would you do anything different?

Thanks in advance as i am looking to freshen up my 2004 (non-air suspension).
Old 01-29-18, 10:18 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

One more thing worth looking at would be the steering rack bushings. They can wear and cause some unnerving noises..
Old 01-29-18, 11:00 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Daspyda
Is there a particular reason you're changing the tie rods? Isn't it just the bushings that wear out?

A great Driver's Safety Course would do wonders, also...
That is so true. My kids(daughter and son) took defensive driving course and skid control course on the race track(same course cops take).
Now all grown up driving nice cars without any problems on the road.
Old 01-29-18, 11:12 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Daspyda
Inner and outter tierods will make you crash eventually when they go if left unattended , it is what will also contribute to a weird vibration in the steering wheel. They can also lead to uneven tire wear as well.
Old 01-29-18, 01:40 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
That is so true. My kids(daughter and son) took defensive driving course and skid control course on the race track(same course cops take).
Now all grown up driving nice cars without any problems on the road.
It's so hard to not become our parents as that ad on tv shows (Progressive). I got my license at 16, but my dad was adamant I could not have my own car even at 19. Mom said ok but don't tell your dad. So I'm with my former colleague who said no way his son/daughter can drive until they learn to change oil, change a tire, and drive a stick (he doesn't own a car with a stick, I wonder if that was the catch?). Kids were like 4 and 2 when he said that 2 yrs. ago.

I noticed that BMW provided defensive driving for new drivers at the Ultimate Driving Experience events, yet those classes even though they were free, would never have enough attendance, opposite of the adult autocrosses, which were waitlisted..

imho it is very necessary for people to update their skills. NYS offered insurance discounts every 3 years for everybody, just like at work we need to do a physical at least every 2 yrs. to get a discount.

My parents only did defensive driving when they reached 55. Newsflash, you can be 32, and a bad or absent-minded driver, it's been 16 yrs. since you had contact with DMV! I'm sure the insurance lobby somehow fought the discounts....

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/rober...b_9290232.html
Old 02-05-18, 11:10 AM
gymraeg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Galco
gymraeg, curious how the suspension refresh turned out now that your daughter likely has some miles on the parts. Any clunks or noises? Would you do anything different?

Thanks in advance as i am looking to freshen up my 2004 (non-air suspension).
Problem was solved.... I bought her a new Subaru Crosstrek. The LS430 is parked in the garage for the winter. I'll deal with it this Spring.

Quick Reply: suspension- making car safe for daughter