LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lexus labor for castor bushing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-17 | 04:02 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

After chasing my suspension squeaking and popping noise for the past week, I finally solved it. At least I hope I did permanently and not temporarily.

It initially started off as a squeaking sound. I was sure it was the sway bar bushing like most suggested. But after I replaced the sway bar bushings, the squeak continued and the POPPING noise joined the fun. I was familiar with this popping noise as I had it on the 2GS. So I went ahead and ordered the 2 front lower balljoints and decided to do the caster arm bushing as well as most suggested as well.

I installed the balljoints first (caster bushing on order) and I was excited as soon as I got the car on the ground. I had a strong feeling I was gonna eliminate the popping noise. Unfortunately, I heard the popping noise as soon as I backed out the driveway.

Next day, I received the caster arm bushing. I was gonna have a shop installed them, but heck, reading everyone’s post, it seemed easy enough. And to my suprise, it took about 10 min to remove each side. The old bushings did not look worn at all! I was skeptical that they were the culprit. I Found a local machine shop to press them out for $60. It literally took him 10 min to do both!!!

Hurried home and reinstalled the bushing. Voila.....silence as I backed out the driveway. It’s only been a day and 60 miles so far, but I hope it’s gone.
Old 11-08-17 | 05:11 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting I too have a sound, popping, maybe, more like a clink or clunk. I was hoping it would go away with the LCA job, but no. Indie drove my car extensively, hit it with a mallet while on the lift, etc. He stated he believes it's the front brake pads shifting due to the lack of the OE shims. I have the OE shims for front/back (techs should not throw these out, they cost me around $75), but have not installed them, will live with the sound until it's time to replace the pads, then will see if it's really that.
Old 12-01-17 | 04:45 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

today I had my car serviced by the Lexus dealer. the report suggests that I replace the castor bushings. I have 130,000 miles on the car so I believe that this will be in my near future. I like to have my car serviced by the dealer, but there are some jobs that are just too expensive there and available for less elsewhere. (tires, brakes and alignment) the dealer wants $735 to replace the bushings and will then need alignment. I plan to go to my independent soon and have them confirm that this is necessary and get their price. I hope to get this done for less than the price the dealer is quoting me. the dealer is not going to replace the arms, only the bushings. I hope the independent can do this including alignment for less than $500. except for the bushings all is well. dealer is still charging $115 per hour for labor. for example I had the coolant changed and I was charged 1 hour labor and 2 gallons coolant at $26.84 each total $168.68. 130,000 mile service was $147.75. expensive, but worth it to me as I am no mechanic and the dealer checks everything. the independent charges $90 per hour and does not take appointments or supply loaners.
Old 12-01-17 | 05:35 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
today I had my car serviced by the Lexus dealer. the report suggests that I replace the castor bushings. I have 130,000 miles on the car so I believe that this will be in my near future. I like to have my car serviced by the dealer, but there are some jobs that are just too expensive there and available for less elsewhere. (tires, brakes and alignment) the dealer wants $735 to replace the bushings and will then need alignment. I plan to go to my independent soon and have them confirm that this is necessary and get their price. I hope to get this done for less than the price the dealer is quoting me. the dealer is not going to replace the arms, only the bushings. I hope the independent can do this including alignment for less than $500. except for the bushings all is well. dealer is still charging $115 per hour for labor. for example I had the coolant changed and I was charged 1 hour labor and 2 gallons coolant at $26.84 each total $168.68. 130,000 mile service was $147.75. expensive, but worth it to me as I am no mechanic and the dealer checks everything. the independent charges $90 per hour and does not take appointments or supply loaners.
Are you saying that Lexus near you is charging only $115 and hour? Does not sound right as Lexus dealers here are charging $175 and hour. Can't be that far apart. Please let us know.
Old 12-01-17 | 07:13 PM
bradland

I do 99% of my own service work, except alignments and AC etc, so I don't know the labor rate at my local L dealer. But..... there are 5 in the Phoenix area. Smaller cities obviously have fewer options. Indy has 1. Nashville has 2. Houston has 3. It only seems logical a city with one dealer can charge more.