LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Replacement car battery?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-17, 03:15 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 741 Likes on 523 Posts
Default Replacement car battery?

Just put my LS in the garage and found it sluggish to start. Checked the voltage on the battery with the engine off and it's about 11 volts. It's a new looking Die Hard, but I don't see any stickers on it about when it was sold so I really have no way of knowing how old it really is. Was just going to replace it with an Interstate battery, but I thought I'd check and see if anyone else had any suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks.
Old 10-28-17, 03:28 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 678 Likes on 463 Posts

You can take the battery to your nearest Sears automotive store (or most auto parts stores) and ask them to test it on their tester. A battery tester can measure the state of health of the battery, which is the measured cold cranking amps (CCA) capability of the battery compared to the rated capability. Typically if the value drops below 75%, it's time to replace.
Old 10-28-17, 03:35 PM
whooodat
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova
Just put my LS in the garage and found it sluggish to start. Checked the voltage on the battery with the engine off and it's about 11 volts. It's a new looking Die Hard, but I don't see any stickers on it about when it was sold so I really have no way of knowing how old it really is. Was just going to replace it with an Interstate battery, but I thought I'd check and see if anyone else had any suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks.
I ran into this about two months ago and I know a lot of people on here went to Walmart; I went with a Bosch battery from Pepboys- part number#24F700B. Retail price is $142 but they have a promotion now going that takes -$42.60 off the price, which the total price comes to $99.39 + tax- (with free installation). I wanted to get a premium battery since I run two amps in the car.

https://www.pepboys.com/parts/batter...04.3L%2520DOHC
Hope this help!

Last edited by whooodat; 10-28-17 at 03:39 PM. Reason: added link
Old 10-28-17, 03:45 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 741 Likes on 523 Posts

Yeah I was going to pop it out and take it down to Interstate to have them test it. When the car is running, the voltage is over 14, so it seems like it is trying to charge but might not be actually taking the charge.

Will look into it Monday or Tuesday...
Old 10-28-17, 04:52 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Always good luck with Interstate in Central Florida...
Old 10-28-17, 05:28 PM
Riick
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If I remember right, there are only 2 or 3 battery manufacturers in the US, Sears is usually Interstate.
My experience is that most batteries will last around 4 years, whether you buy one with a 2/3/4/5 year warranty or whatever.
The warranty's is what you're paying extra for.
Also,it doesn't pay to buy the *best* -- as in highest CCA -- battery, they cram extra plates into the same size shell,
so the lead plates have to be *thinner* and vibration can damage them more easily. Ask me how I know. <grin>

BTW: One way to keep a battery going for a long long time (if the car isn't a daily driver) is to trickle-charge it for several days every few months.
I installed an under-hood charger in a weekend car, makes recharging *very* easy, just plug in an extension cord LINK
Old 10-28-17, 05:54 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 678 Likes on 463 Posts

Yeah I was going to pop it out and take it down to Interstate to have them test it. When the car is running, the voltage is over 14, so it seems like it is trying to charge but might not be actually taking the charge.

Will look into it Monday or Tuesday...
With the engine running, you're actually measuring the output of your alternator. A healthy alternator typically puts out between 13.2-14.8VDC, and will occasionally spike above 14.8VDC. A reading below 13.2VDC indicates a failing alternator, while reading above 15.6VDC points to a failing voltage regulator. The good news is, your alternator is working properly.

In terms of testing or selecting replacement battery, the two important factors to consider are cold cranking amps and reserve capacity. Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) is a measurement of the number of amps a battery can deliver at 0°F for 30 seconds and not drop below 7.2 volts. If test result shows less than 75% of rated CCA, the battery should be replaced. Reserve Capacity (RC) is the number of minutes a fully charged battery at 80°F will discharge 25 amps until the battery drops below 10.5 volts. The RC number is important for the LS430 because of its parasitic drain.
Old 10-29-17, 06:53 AM
markwhit
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a new Interstate battery installed recently. I told them i wanted the highest CCA available since i have been stranded before. They put in a 880 CCA/1000 CA battery.
Old 10-29-17, 07:15 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I think the easy answer is Costco, the 24F is around $80, and someone here said they just get a new battery every 2 yrs. proactively (I'm not sure that's the warranty but apparently Costco is so big they don't even care)...

Don't get me wrong I used to swear by DieHard, but at this late juncture, it's nothing but a name, and Sears was trying to sell the name asap earlier this year since it's rapidly falling out of favor

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKBN16U2PX

I call the Pep Boys the Three Stooges, they have their own set of problems, in that it's not easy to fill 15+ bay facilities with cars (I dropped off used oil on Fri AM and the place was empty at 10 AM). They installed my wife's battery and discarded the vent tube (battery is inside the vehicle). When I pointed it out, they said we don't have the part and besides you don't need it. Do you want these stooges touching your car? lol
Old 10-29-17, 07:18 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...w-battery.html
Old 10-29-17, 07:25 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

I had to replace mine recently, I can tell when it takes a while to crank. I ended up getting one of the largest ones from Walmart, I forget which one it was. When I was working on my car during my head unit install on and off for several days I had my doors open and lights draining the battery. Eventually my car wouldn't start and it was in the garage. I bought a car jump starter a while back, it looks like a charger usb pack for the phones but it has leads on it for the batteries. Its the first time I had ever attempted to use it, I always keep it in my trunk of my GS in case I need to jump my car or help someone else. I hooked it up and the car started right away, I was actually pretty amazed that the small battery could jump it. I plan on picking up another one to keep in both cars.
Old 10-29-17, 07:25 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 276 Likes on 233 Posts

Walmart is my choice for the next replacement. I go for a replacement every 2-3 years regardless of battery condition. Getting stuck that one time in a downpour in the middle of bumf..k can really ruin your day!
Old 10-29-17, 07:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

The 2005 LS430 I went to look at, at a Lexus dealer, would not start. Talk about trying to dump and run on a trade, and the so-called 148 point check.....looking for a used LS430 really opened my eyes to the car world, which to this point, was really 3 new cars since 1998. it's much shadier than I had thought, even at new car dealers....
Old 10-29-17, 08:32 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

when I bought my Interstate battery there was 1 for northern climates, black case and one for southern climates, green case. the black case battery weighed more. despite being in the southern climate I was sold the black case heavier battery. I replaced my Walmart battery because it was over 3 years old. I have seen green case batteries in other LS430 so I was a bit confused. I believe heavier is better, but I have no idea why that I was sold a northern battery. I will replace it after 3 years anyway so no big deal. Purchased at small town farm supply / auto part / hardware store so maybe was what they had in stock.
Old 10-29-17, 08:37 AM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

1 week into owning this 05, battery is dead. Fortunately the previous owner has the receipt and the battery is still under warranty. Bad news is that it’s at an independent shop 70 miles away from me and hopefully they will warranty it even though I was not the one who personally bought the battery. Receipt has the previous owners info.

If that doesn’t work, I’ll be buying a battery from Costco. Can’t go wrong with Costco.

Quick Reply: Replacement car battery?