LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Which one to choose between 2004 with 60k? and 2005 120k

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-17, 03:57 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts

Once again, after all the valuable info and feedback what happened to the original poster????
Old 11-16-17, 05:33 PM
asc2000
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks much all for your valuable comments and observations! Wow, I am impressed. Having much comments flowing around so quickly, literally less than a day. Anyhow, sorry for the delay. I just had a busy day all day with meetings after meetings at work. Anyhow, my wife and I discussed about this and we will first try to see if the seller can lower the price for the 2004 basic. I am also a utilitarian and if warminwisc's price info from nada is correct, it would be rude to ask for less than $11k, assuming TB and water pump done timely, but I will try. I like the idea of the grom vline. Can i install the grom vline to basic package or CL with navi is must for installation? My wife drives rx 350 and we bought it new 5 yrs ago (52k miles) and it is trouble free. Reliability is one important reason we decided to purchase LS 430 and with a low mileage we can keep another at least 6 or 7 years. Who knows may be 10 more years with proper maintenance...
Old 11-16-17, 06:48 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

https://www.edmunds.com/lexus/ls430/...sal-value/tmv/

Here is some private party values there are others Kelly, etc.
Old 11-16-17, 07:58 PM
asc2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by warminwisc
https://www.edmunds.com/lexus/ls430/...sal-value/tmv/

Here is some private party values there are others Kelly, etc.
Thanks. I will take a look.
Old 11-17-17, 05:12 AM
unagijimbo
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by asc2000
I like the idea of the grom vline. Can i install the grom vline to basic package or CL with navi is must for installation?
As long as it has the factory nav you should be good, I believe.
The following users liked this post:
asc2000 (11-17-17)
Old 11-17-17, 04:26 PM
asc2000
Rookie

Got it thanks.. I will need to investigate more on the cost and where to get, etc.
Old 11-17-17, 06:18 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by unagijimbo
Depending on one's technical ability, the Grom vline makes the nav in my 05 as good as any of the newer cars I have tried. Having Waze and CarPlay connected to the factory system are nothing short of a miracle in a 12 year old car.
Grom vline looks interesting. How sharp is the display w/ low resolution screen?
Old 11-20-17, 05:27 AM
unagijimbo
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Grom vline looks interesting. How sharp is the display w/ low resolution screen?
In Waze it is not super sharp, but still a great deal more detailed than the factory nav. CarPlay seems to have a bit higher resolution and is a bit clearer, however, it is still a 12 year old screen and will not stand up next to something from the last few years, but resolution of the screen while using the vline was never a complaint of mine. I don't use it for youtube or any video apps tho, just waze and carplay mostly.
The following users liked this post:
tallcaguy (11-29-17)
Old 11-20-17, 07:40 AM
onthelo
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 71 Posts

Finally I am in the market for LS 430 but I am torn between the following two choices: (1) 2004 Premium Package (no navigation but it has Smart Access) with 60k miles ($13,000) (2) 2005 Custom Luxury (with navigation and ML) with 120k miles ($9,000). I have no color preference. There is no Carfax info available from both (private) sellers but I was told that they both were first or second owners with a good maintenance record. Which one would be better? Of course, I need to check maintenance history and will need to test drive this week but do you think the first choice, 13 yrs old, worth $4000? This will be my daily transportation (60 miles/day) and my wife likes to have backup camera and navi as she may need to drive sometime. My concern with navi is reliability. I see from this forum that it may break and to repair remains expensive as it gets older. If I go with the first one, do you think I would miss benefits of full options including ML, navi and blutooth, etc.? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey ! Just wanted to add a few points which were already made too. I finally found my LS430 after searching for nearly a year and the asking price on the 04 is not bad over here in Cali you can expect to pay upwards of 18k for one with low mileage! The main things to look at with any one you purchase is if the timing belt/waterpump were done and what other services you can track. A well maintained LS will last a long time and if the timing belt/waterpump were done already by the dealer that can save you a few thousand right there. These are great cars, I love my 04. Also color choice makes them more or less valuable but in the end get the one you feel the most comfortable with and with the most service history you can track. Good luck on your search, happy hunting!
Old 11-20-17, 09:04 PM
asc2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by onthelo
Hey ! Just wanted to add a few points which were already made too. I finally found my LS430 after searching for nearly a year and the asking price on the 04 is not bad over here in Cali you can expect to pay upwards of 18k for one with low mileage! The main things to look at with any one you purchase is if the timing belt/waterpump were done and what other services you can track. A well maintained LS will last a long time and if the timing belt/waterpump were done already by the dealer that can save you a few thousand right there. These are great cars, I love my 04. Also color choice makes them more or less valuable but in the end get the one you feel the most comfortable with and with the most service history you can track. Good luck on your search, happy hunting!
Thanks and congrats!! 18k? It sounds a lot of money for the 04. Must be a CL or UL with a very low mileage. I am still looking and will be a happy camper if I get one with a good maintenance record.
Old 11-21-17, 05:38 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Just me, I still look (why lol), and I restrict my searches to 2006. Off the top of my head I think 2006's go for $12k? So whatever I could save on a 2004 or 2005 (a couple thousand) I am willing to forgo, for the car simply being newer. I like younger, over miles. Look at some threads, people think very little about reaching 200k....

In an ideal world, I would find a 2006 CL with a 6/06 mfg. date, aniline leather, 80k miles, for $12k. that would be winning!!

(I wonder how many CL's were made, how many with aniline, and in 6/06, maybe none?)
Old 11-21-17, 07:25 AM
onthelo
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 71 Posts

Thanks and congrats!! 18k? It sounds a lot of money for the 04. Must be a CL or UL with a very low mileage. I am still looking and will be a happy camper if I get one with a good maintenance record.
Yeah I slightly over paid for mine but it was the lowest mileage one I could find and here in Cali everything is a little more lol
Old 11-23-17, 07:47 AM
BigBruiser
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
The DVD player based NAV is laughably clunky and completely obsolete in the LS430s. I am biased since I own a premium model but I'd personally try hard to find a premium model with no NAV. Given the age of these cars I'd avoid the NAV and NAV screen equipped cars at this point due to long term reliability concerns but I plan on keeping my car for a long time.

I'd go for the 2004 but offer less for it. Pull the old head unit and add a nice modern head unit with apple air play or something similar and you are good to go.

Also check service history for timing belt replacement, at this point any LS you are looking at should have had the timing belt and water pump replaced regardless of miles on the car.
+1 on pulling the headunit. I ran new wire to all four door speakers, replaced head unit with aftermarket, replaced amp and door speakers. I only used a 4 channel amp since I didn't need to use subwoofer. Bass is adequate for my senior ears.
Old 11-23-17, 12:56 PM
asc2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by BigBruiser
+1 on pulling the headunit. I ran new wire to all four door speakers, replaced head unit with aftermarket, replaced amp and door speakers. I only used a 4 channel amp since I didn't need to use subwoofer. Bass is adequate for my senior ears.
Replacing it with a new dash kit? Any pics would help if you can share?
Old 11-23-17, 08:18 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 446 Likes on 368 Posts

I would take the 2004. The factory navigation is horrible.

Quick Reply: Which one to choose between 2004 with 60k? and 2005 120k