LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Which one to choose between 2004 with 60k? and 2005 120k

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-17, 07:46 PM
asc2000
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I would take the 2004. The factory navigation is horrible.
Finally pulled the trigger today. 2004 Premium (no navi) with 59k miles. Yes, 59k low. Overall it is a very clean car inside and out, except rusty wheels. Clean title with no accident. Maintained well from a local garage but no TB/WP done yet. It drives beautifully on the way home this afternoon. It has 17" wheel.. by the way the previous owner said I need to use premium gas, not a regular. That would be expensive. Now i need to do a 60k service from a dealership or DIY.
Old 11-28-17, 02:28 PM
onthelo
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by asc2000
Finally pulled the trigger today. 2004 Premium (no navi) with 59k miles. Yes, 59k low. Overall it is a very clean car inside and out, except rusty wheels. Clean title with no accident. Maintained well from a local garage but no TB/WP done yet. It drives beautifully on the way home this afternoon. It has 17" wheel.. by the way the previous owner said I need to use premium gas, not a regular. That would be expensive. Now i need to do a 60k service from a dealership or DIY.
Congratulations on the new LS! Love mine with 69k miles. They are hard to find so when you do have to ****** them up. Def want to do the TB/WP because it is recommended every 60k or 7 years so it def. needs to be done and general service all the fluids and filters. Enjoy they are a smooth ride and well built if you keep the maintenance and upkeep up. Share some pics!
Old 11-29-17, 09:31 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Just me, I still look (why lol), and I restrict my searches to 2006. Off the top of my head I think 2006's go for $12k? So whatever I could save on a 2004 or 2005 (a couple thousand) I am willing to forgo, for the car simply being newer. I like younger, over miles. Look at some threads, people think very little about reaching 200k....

In an ideal world, I would find a 2006 CL with a 6/06 mfg. date, aniline leather, 80k miles, for $12k. that would be winning!!

(I wonder how many CL's were made, how many with aniline, and in 6/06, maybe none?)
LOL here. I look all the time in Autotrader, Craig's etc. Vowed that my 04 was my last 430 but still shopping......
Old 11-29-17, 09:33 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Asc - Congratulations. Good choice. Look forward to hearing more about the car (and some pix?)
Old 11-29-17, 01:21 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 195 Likes on 120 Posts

Congrats on the new ride. Post some pics when you can.

As far as premium gas vs regular (I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a bashing thread because of this), I'll give you my experience. Please, no bashing, this is just my experience and I have the freedom to make my own decisions about about which octane I use for my car.

I've had an LS430 for almost 5 years now. I initially started with premium for the first 6 months or so but eventually switched over to using regular gas. I watch my MPG all the time and keep my Tank Average displayed in my dash. I noticed zero difference between the two octanes both in performance and MPG. If money isn't and issue and you want to spend the extra money on the fuel for peace of mind then you should. For me, I don't need the extra little performance so I'm good with using regular gas. However, every time I change my oil I do run a bottle of injector cleaner through my tank.
The following users liked this post:
asc2000 (11-29-17)
Old 11-29-17, 01:38 PM
Jabberwock

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman

As far as premium gas vs regular (I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a bashing thread because of this), I'll give you my experience. Please, no bashing, this is just my experience and I have the freedom to make my own decisions about about which octane I use for my car.

I've had an LS430 for almost 5 years now. I initially started with premium for the first 6 months or so but eventually switched over to using regular gas. I watch my MPG all the time and keep my Tank Average displayed in my dash. I noticed zero difference between the two octanes both in performance and MPG. If money isn't and issue and you want to spend the extra money on the fuel for peace of mind then you should. For me, I don't need the extra little performance so I'm good with using regular gas. However, every time I change my oil I do run a bottle of injector cleaner through my tank.
I have also occasionally switched between premium and regular gas over the years although I mostly run premium which is what the manual calls for in the US (91 octane in the US). I have never noticed much of a difference in mpg or performance except for in hot weather in the summer while running regular I have heard the engine ping pretty badly going up a steep incline near my hometown. So if I do run regular on occasion I make sure it is in cooler weather and when there is no hilly/mountainous driving required. My case may be unique because I live in a very flat area and drive like an old lady.

I would be sure to run Tier 1 rated gas in the LS, instead of generic no name lowest cost gas like Walmart, etc. that have little to no additive package in the gas.
Old 11-29-17, 01:58 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I just filled up regular was 2.37 Primo was 3.07. When it was a 20 - 30 cent difference I ran Primo but I drive 25k miles a year thats about 700 bucks a year difference and I notice little difference and have never had a fuel related problems Cheers
Old 11-29-17, 03:31 PM
asc2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
LOL here. I look all the time in Autotrader, Craig's etc. Vowed that my 04 was my last 430 but still shopping......
I also have spent many hours since this summer looking for a right one from Autotrader and Cargurus but it was Craig's where I got mine this week. Actually I was looking for 05-06 but could not resist this 04 with 59k miles.
Old 11-29-17, 03:38 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I have also occasionally switched between premium and regular gas over the years although I mostly run premium which is what the manual calls for in the US (91 octane in the US). I have never noticed much of a difference in mpg or performance except for in hot weather in the summer while running regular I have heard the engine ping pretty badly going up a steep incline near my hometown. So if I do run regular on occasion I make sure it is in cooler weather and when there is no hilly/mountainous driving required. My case may be unique because I live in a very flat area and drive like an old lady.

I would be sure to run Tier 1 rated gas in the LS, instead of generic no name lowest cost gas like Walmart, etc. that have little to no additive package in the gas.

I always put 93 in the car it is what the ecu was designed to run so that's what goes in, putting a lower octane in your car will work but the ecu retards the timing and you make less power to avoid having knock.
Old 11-29-17, 03:49 PM
asc2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Asc - Congratulations. Good choice. Look forward to hearing more about the car (and some pix?)
Thanks. Sure I have some pics to share.
Attached Thumbnails Which one to choose between 2004 with 60k? and 2005 120k-img_2721.jpg   Which one to choose between 2004 with 60k? and 2005 120k-img_2722.jpg   Which one to choose between 2004 with 60k? and 2005 120k-img_2724.jpg   Which one to choose between 2004 with 60k? and 2005 120k-img_2726.jpg   Which one to choose between 2004 with 60k? and 2005 120k-img_2729.jpg  

Which one to choose between 2004 with 60k? and 2005 120k-img_2723.jpg  
Old 11-29-17, 04:05 PM
asc2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by onthelo
Congratulations on the new LS! Love mine with 69k miles. They are hard to find so when you do have to ****** them up. Def want to do the TB/WP because it is recommended every 60k or 7 years so it def. needs to be done and general service all the fluids and filters. Enjoy they are a smooth ride and well built if you keep the maintenance and upkeep up. Share some pics!
Talked to a lexus service advisor yesterday. I was nicely suggested not to change yet as it is only <59k miles. So I called this afternoon another dealership to verify that. This time I was suggested to replace very soon because of aging. Not sure what to do... I would do probably sometime next year at least...
Old 11-29-17, 04:19 PM
asc2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by caverman

Thanks. Interesting but it is good to know. That is empirical evidence and hope this would be true to most LS 430 owners. Haha...I now could save $ with regular. Looks like mine is about 22 mpg city/highway combined for the past 2 days. of course mostly highway miles. Is 22 mpg good or bad or average??
Old 11-29-17, 05:30 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

mine avgs 22 to like 23.6 23.6 comes up a bunch as I drive routinely back and forth to work then drive my Touareg. Looks like a real nice car, enjoy. Guess moral of story on regular gas is it works but U don't get maximum performance.
Old 12-01-17, 10:31 AM
onthelo
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by asc2000
Talked to a lexus service advisor yesterday. I was nicely suggested not to change yet as it is only <59k miles. So I called this afternoon another dealership to verify that. This time I was suggested to replace very soon because of aging. Not sure what to do... I would do probably sometime next year at least...
Agreed but I would do it sooner then later Lexus made the recommendation 60k or every 7 years. You prob okay for a bit just do the normal stuff and drive her! She looks like mine another Silver sister wooho!
Old 12-01-17, 11:43 AM
jumerle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey folks, I am in search of a clean and well maintained 2005 or 2006 LS430 that is for sale. Please contact me if anyone knows of someone who want to depart with his or hers.
Have a great weekend everyone!

Originally Posted by onthelo

Quick Reply: Which one to choose between 2004 with 60k? and 2005 120k