LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

01' ls430 flaring when shifting? Possible causes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-17, 07:50 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by kaizmauka
Yeah I am just worried that I will lose a lot of money if I get a newer one..it's gonna be at least like 7 or 8 grand for a new 04' - 06' ...hoping the insurance will cover/reimburse me for all my tranny Costs. If not then how much do you expect I can sell my 01' for? It has a custom TIG welded catback plus chrome rims and new headlights...plus it has 0 guage copper for subs installed.
Any pictures?
Old 11-21-17, 08:16 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by kaizmauka
I brough the car to a Mr. Lube near my house and on August 25th the drained the ATF and put in Toyota Type T-IV. I noticed no difference in the transmission before before or after the transmission service.
I'm bringing it to Wilf's transmission tommorrow where Wilf will ispect it..he is one of the best guys in Vancover from what I understand.
It looks as though the JDM supplier is backing their product and the guys there claim it may have been damaged during transit before they sold it to me ( there is an impact on the bottom of the oil pan that may have been there the whole time and somehow the transmission shop in Seattle installed the transmission without noting that it was impacted? Really strange stuff...because I don't remember ever impacting anything that would cause such a dent on the bottom of the oil pan (feel like I would have noticed, lol)...this just keeps getting wierder..I know..just wanna get to the bottom of this...will keep everyone updated!
Where is your original transmission? If the shop has it, consider disassembling and if necessary rebuilding it with OEM parts..(rebuild kit)
That way you still have your car until.it is ready and then problem is on them...
Not a fan of junkyard transmissions....unless incredibly low mileage and VIN is provided so I can verify in Lexus system
Old 11-27-17, 11:31 AM
kaizmauka
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=YODAONE;10036746]Where is your original transmission? If the shop has it, consider disassembling and if necessary rebuilding it with OEM parts..(rebuild kit)
That way you still have your car until.it is ready and then problem is on them...
Not a fan of junkyard transmissions....unless incredibly low mileage and VIN is provided so I can verify in Lexus system[/QUOTE

Might be too late...not sure if that shop still has my old transmission and where it would be now is anyone's guess...but the new transmission has less than 50k miles on it and is from Japan...don't think it is from a junkyard though. ...would have been nice to take apart the original tranny but I have no time and space to do that.
However, there have been some developments since my last post...had the shop look and they don't notice the flaring...but it's still there when you go pedal to the metal...and I think they didn't notice because they probably didn't drive it hard.
Now that I look back I agree I should have had the tranny rebuilt but wasn't up for that at the time because I was on a road trip and wanted to save money...but if this one caps out I will make sure tk go with a remanufactured tranny from a lexus instead of a celsior one.